[Duke3D] Classic red menufont for Atomic/WT

NightFright
Spotlight Team

[Duke3D] Classic red menufont for Atomic/WT

Post by NightFright »

The red menufont from the original Duke3D 1.3D retail release is clearly superior to the one used in later editions. Characters are slimmer, highlighted and much easier to read. Not only the game menu, but also the alternate fullscreen HUD from EDuke32 profits from this since all stats numbers will look significantly better.

If you don't remember what the classic font looked like, here is an example:

All characters have been imported from duke3d.grp 1.3D, stored in .art files to make a very simple drag-and-drop solution possible (not even a .def file is needed). I have chosen file names so that you shouldn't experience conflicts with any other groupfiles or mods. On top of that, I have added the dash (-) character (tile #2929, originally made by SwissCM for the 8-bit redfont in the Duke3D HRP) which was missing in the 1.3D art to make sure the character set is complete. The other good thing: This should also work in any other port, e.g. EDuke32 or Rednukem.

Two versions are available:
- duke3d_font13.pk3: Unaltered redfont, directly taken from the 1.3D groupfile
- duke3d_font13cm.pk3: SwissCM's redfont edit (cleaned up, a bit brighter, better legibility)

Needless to say, it's autoload material and meant to be used as such. To pull it off, place attached duke3d_font13.pk3 in your Raze directory and put something like this in your ini:

Code: Select all

[Duke.Autoload]
Path=mods/duke3d_font13.pk3
(File path may differ on your system, depending on where you put that file within the Raze folder. Here, it is located in a subdir called "mods".)

Duke would probably say: "Aaaah... MUCH better!"
Attachments
duke3d_font13cm.pk3
Classic red menufont (SwissCM), rev.3
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
duke3d_font13.pk3
Classic red menufont (Original)
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by NightFright on Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
funduke re-regist

Re: [Duke3D] Classic red menufont for Atomic/WT

Post by funduke re-regist »

Did you read my my mind?
That's exactly, what i want.
Many thanks!

Greetings
Funduke
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Added SwissCM's redfont edit from the Duke3D HRP/Duke3D Fixes mod as an alternate download.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

SwissCM variant updated with palette fixes for numbers 1, 5, 6 and 7.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

And one last update for the SwissCM font, fixing chars I, T, Z and !. All chars of the tileset have now been checked ingame and work properly with any palette.

Return to “Projects”