[UDMF] Z offset problem in wall portals

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Koto
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[UDMF] Z offset problem in wall portals

Post by Koto »

Hi everyone, I have some problems related to wall portals. I was viewing some solutions where they talked about a problem with the Z axis offset, but I don't understand very well how to fix it.

I have these errors in the following levels of this mod.

Code: Select all

MAP22
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 413 to Teleport-portal!
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 795 to Teleport-portal!

MAP29
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 923 to Teleport-portal!
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 1152 to Teleport-portal!

MAP30
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 47 to Teleport-portal!
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 1611 to Teleport-portal!

MAP32
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 454 to Teleport-portal!
Warning: Z-offsetting not allowed for interactive portals. Changing line 539 to Teleport-portal!
The portals work perfectly, but it's still annoying to have this kind of errors and not have a clear solution. I would appreciate a lot if you could help me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [UDMF] Z offset problem in wall portals

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you have portals with different z-position you cannot use cross-portal offsetting, so they get demoted to the simplest portal type.
Effectively this means that if something gets spawned with an offset it won't be portal-aware.

You have two choices:

1. Use the proper 'teleport only' portal type.
2. Make sure that the floor on both sides of the portal is at the same height.
Koto
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [UDMF] Z offset problem in wall portals

Post by Koto »

I had read about correcting this problem, and the solution was precisely that the height of the floor of the affected sectors must be the same.

Indeed I worried about that part in which the sectors must be equal in dimensions and height, but the error persists. For example, this is the wall portal implemented on the map 22.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Mapping”