Can I Spawn Monster on 3D Floor?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
daskraut

Can I Spawn Monster on 3D Floor?

Post by daskraut »

Hi folks!

So I managed to figure out how to create 3D floors and slopes, and even how to stack them. But whatever I do, if I try to spawn a monster on a 3D floor it either appears below the 3D floor or not at all.

So the embarrassing dumb question of the day is: How can I spawn a monster (or weapon or ammo or whatever) on a 3D floor?

Dumb question nr. 2: Is there a way to show 3D floors, slopes and 3D slopes in Doom Builder 2's 3D mode?

Greetings from ze Kraut Hauptquartier
daskraut
Nevander

Re: Can I Spawn Monster on 3D Floor?

Post by Nevander »

Easy. All you do is move the z offset of the MapSpot or whatever to a height above the floor of the 3D floor. This is where 3D mode in GZDB comes in handy. I usually do it so that the bottom of the actor's hitbox is at least 8 units above the 3D floor. Any actors with gravity will immediately drop upon being spawned or map load and land on the 3D floor so long as the 3D floor is solid.

For question 2, you really should use GZDB now or GZDB-Bugfix. As for using 3D mode to see them in DB2, I think you need a plugin of some kind. I never bothered with 3D floors until moving to GZDB for advanced map editing.
Last edited by Nevander on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daskraut

Post by daskraut »

Thank you, Nevander - the Z Height it is! Somehow it escaped my attention completely... But it tools the monsters to exactly where I want them!

As for GZDB - I heard that it has some disadvantages compared to DB2. Is that true?
Nevander wrote:Easy. All you do is move the z offset of the MapSpot or whatever to a height above the floor of the 3D floor. This is where 3D mode in GZDB comes in handy. I usually do it so that the bottom of the actor's radius is at least 8 units above the 3D floor. Any actors with gravity will immediately drop upon being spawned or map load and land on the 3D floor so long as the 3D floor is solid.

For question 2, you really should use GZDB now or GZDB-Bugfix. As for using 3D mode to see them in DB2, I think you need a plugin of some kind. I never bothered with 3D floors until moving to GZDB for advanced map editing.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

daskraut wrote:As for GZDB - I heard that it has some disadvantages compared to DB2. Is that true?
I can't think of any major disadvantages. It takes a little longer to load up than DB2 and it is far more complex so things are slower sometimes for me or lag more, but that could be due to my hardware or something else. Really the only reason to use DB2 is if you only intend to make vanilla or Boom maps. GZDB is a bit overkill for those simple formats, although GZDB can do everything DB2 can and more.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

daskraut wrote:
As for GZDB - I heard that it has some disadvantages compared to DB2. Is that true?
DoomBuilder2 HAS many disadvantages compared to GZDB... ;)
daskraut

Post by daskraut »

Guess I'll just give it a try. Can't hurt, can it?

Thanks for the input, Nevander and ramon.dexter!

Return to “Mapping”