Doom Delta - Video corruption

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
User avatar
Sgt Nate V
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: somewhere

Doom Delta - Video corruption

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.
User avatar
wildweasel
Posts: 21706
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Jack V wrote:I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.
This sounds like video corruption, which is more likely to be a fault of your video drivers or hardware, whether due to memory errors or overheating.
User avatar
Sgt Nate V
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: somewhere

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Sgt Nate V »

wildweasel wrote:
Sgt Jack V wrote:I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.
This sounds like video corruption, which is more likely to be a fault of your video drivers or hardware, whether due to memory errors or overheating.
No, no, my computer is has an AMD Radeon card. It should be fine.
Accensus
Posts: 2383
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:59 am

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Accensus »

It's precisely AMD cards that have issues with GZDoom, from what I recall. Still, update drivers. And post some specs.
User avatar
wildweasel
Posts: 21706
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by wildweasel »

The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.
User avatar
Sgt Nate V
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: somewhere

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Sgt Nate V »

wildweasel wrote:The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.
Ok, first, my computer is not overheating. Two, my drivers are up to date. It's probably a little one time memory overload or something.
User avatar
wildweasel
Posts: 21706
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Jack V wrote:
wildweasel wrote:The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.
Ok, first, my computer is not overheating. Two, my drivers are up to date. It's probably a little one time memory overload or something.
Okay, maybe I did lay it on a little thick up there, but I'm not sure it warranted that snippy of a response...? In any case, it's most likely not the mod's fault...
User avatar
Sgt Nate V
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: somewhere

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Sgt Nate V »

wildweasel wrote:
Sgt Jack V wrote:
wildweasel wrote:The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.
Ok, first, my computer is not overheating. Two, my drivers are up to date. It's probably a little one time memory overload or something.
Okay, maybe I did lay it on a little thick up there, but I'm not sure it warranted that snippy of a response...? In any case, it's most likely not the mod's fault...
Ok, sorry, wasn't thinking right. Might delete posts.
Accensus
Posts: 2383
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:59 am

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Post by Accensus »

I'd advise against that.
User avatar
Rachael
Posts: 13613
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Doom Delta - Video corruption

Post by Rachael »

Even better - let's just split the topic and focus on fixing the original problem.

@Sgt Jack V: Never outright quip that your video card is not overheating. You may not realize it, but it can do that very easily. In fact, there's a lot in your system that can go wrong that you might be "sure" is not a problem. The STUPIDEST thing you can EVER do is say it's "not" that without at least grabbing a hardware monitor and looking at your temps.

For that - I recommend Open Hardware Monitor. The hottest a typical AMD GPU should run is about 70C, at about 80C you will have problems. If your GPU is newer, it should automatically underclock itself to try and throw off some heat before it produces more. Check to make sure your fans are running correctly, as well.

Return to “Technical Issues”