For the few of you that haven't heard of ECWolf yet it is port based on Wolf4SDL that implements modding features similar to ZDoom. In fact some of the code even comes right from ZDoom hence the title of the thread. The port is dual licensed under the Wolf Source License and the GPL.
Some things to expect:
- Everything referenced by lump names instead of chunk numbers. This means you can load wad, pk3, pk7, grp, pak, etc files.
- DECORATE support as well as most of the other fancy ZDoom lumps (TEXTURES, SNDINFO, MAPINFO, etc).
- One executable plays everything.
- Support for high resolutions with aspect ratio correction (so widescreen/tallscreen support).
- Better control setup.
- High resolution texture support.
- A patching utitlity so that I only need to support 1 version of Wolf3D. But don't worry, the "Read This" has been reconstructed.
- UWMF: Text based map format similar in a way to UDMF.
I should probably also address "how does this differ from AFADoomer's TC?" Well fundamentally the Wolf3D engine and ZDoom are quite different. For example the enemies in Wolf3D have a radius of 42 which requires them to basically walk through walls whenever going through a narrow hall way. There are many other quirks like this that will probably never be accurately emulated in ZDoom. I don't know all of his plans now that he's attempting source modifications to do the reverse, but I believe that the approach of starting with the Wolf3D code base will result in more accurate play.
Project website: http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/
Mercurial Repository: https://bitbucket.org/Blzut3/ecwolf