This mod builds on the PSX DOOM Total Conversion and DOOM 64 Retribution, to take advantage of the latest GZDoom versions and adds many features that make them more faithful but were impossible to implement at their time of release. To achieve this, a large amount of the code has been adapted from GEC Master Edition (also known as DZDoom) into ZScript, while looking at the reverse engineered source code and existing source ports of these games for reference.
In addition to that, the mod is highly modular and also incluides many optional "enhancements" that deviate from the original experience. Depending on your preference, you can choose to play as close to vanilla as possible, or experiment and play with upscaled textures, PBR materials, flashy particle effects and other features that are common in other GZDoom mods.
Since it runs on the latest GZDoom (4.8.2, currently), that means that it is compatible with other mods. It's been tested with mods such as Corruption Cards, Project Brutality, QC:DE, Death Foretold, Embers of Armageddon, Guncaster, Trailblazer, GMOTA, Russian Overkill, Complex Doom, Legendoom Lite, Pandemonia, and many others (NOTE: Support is more limited in Doom 64 because some mods depend on Doom 2 textures and Doom 2's actor heights).
- PSX DOOM software lighting emulation (brightness fades with distance).
- DOOM 64 with gradient and additive lighting. Can be enabled in PSX DOOM too to give it a different look.
- Addons to restore the PSX DOOM aspect ratio and to play using the Nintendo 64's 3-Point filter.
- The mod is powered by ZScript to make it more accurate to the original.
- PSX DOOM TC Lost Levels can be integrated into the regular episodes to provide the full PC level set.
- Bonus episodes and maps for DOOM 64 from the Absolution TC era.
- Customizable speeds: approximate them to the slower ticrate (30 tics/sec) of the originals or make them faster for a bigger challenge.
- Option to restore Arch-Viles in PSX DOOM, Spider Masterminds in PSX FINAL DOOM, Absolution TC exclusive monsters (Acid Demon, Stalker, etc) and Doom 2 monsters (Revenants, Arch-Viles, etc) in DOOM 64.
- The Red and Green Demon Keys exclusive to the Outcast Levels TC are included in that episode.
- Choose to play with the dark ambient Console soundtrack, the action oriented Computer soundtrack, or both, in which action fades into ambient after the music finishes.
- AI interpolated DOOM 64 animations and Smooth Doom adapted to PSX DOOM.
- 2x AI upscaled textures.
- PBR materials.
- Brightmaps for sprites and textures.
- Play with a fullscreen hud styled like DOOM 64 or the default GZDoom hud.
- Ambient sounds for decorations (torches, barrels, etc).
- Enemies and the player can produce footstep sounds.
- Two new difficulties: Nightmare/Hardcore is UV with fast monsters and no respawns, and Ultra-Nightmare/Doomslayer is a modified version of the difficulty introduced in DOOM 64: Retribution.
- Integrates Nashgore with slight tweaks and bug fixes.
- Higher quality and more varied sound effects.
- Many more miscellaneous small details.
PSX DOOM CE
- Evil Unleashed/Ultimate DOOM: PSX campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made for the PSX Doom TC. Maps that were absent from the original console release come from the PSX Doom Lost Levels community project.
- Sigil: Same as Sigil 1.2 by John Romero, but with colored lighting.
- Hell on Earth/DOOM II: PSX campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made for the PSX Doom TC. Maps that were absent from the original console release come from the PSX Doom Lost Levels community project.
- No Rest For The Living: A reimagination of the Xbox mapset. The maps included here are based on conversions by Dexiaz and Salahmander2 for the PSX Doom TC.
- Bonus maps: Tech Gone Bad and Phobos Mission Control by BlackxZodiac13, originally created for the PSX Doom TC (based on the maps by John Romero).
- Master Levels: PSX campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made for the PSX Doom TC. Maps that were absent from the original console release come from the PSX Doom Lost Levels community project.
- TNT: Evilution: PSX campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made for the PSX Doom TC. Maps that were absent from the original console release come from the PSX Doom Lost Levels community project.
- The Plutonia Experiment: PSX campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made for the PSX Doom TC. Maps that were absent from the original console release come from the PSX Doom Lost Levels community project.
- Bonus maps: DeXiaZ's Mausoleum by Dexiaz and Last Gateway to Sin by BaronOfStuff, originally created for the PSX Doom TC.
- The Absolution/DOOM 64: The original campaign. The maps included here are based on conversions made by Nevander for Doom 64: Retribution.
- The Lost Levels: These maps are exclusive to Doom 64's 2020 remaster by Nightdive. They are only available if the included installer finds a valid installation of the 2020 release.
- The Doomsday Levels: Maps that were exclusive to Kaiser's 2003's Absolution TC and its Outcast Levels expansion, merged into a single episode.
- Redemption Denied: A 2005 mapset by Steven Searle and AgentSpork for the Absolution TC. The maps included here are based on conversions made by Nevander for Doom 64: Retribution.
- The Reckoning: A 2008 mapset by Steven Searle for the Absolution TC. These maps included here are based on conversions made by thexgiddoomerx for Doom 64 EX.
- Bonus maps: Waste Processing and Mining Front by Maverick and Temple Ruins and Temple Grounds by Henri Leto, standalone maps made for the Absolution TC, are included. They are based on conversion made by thexgiddoomerx for Doom 64 EX.
Since almost every feature is optional, the mod contains four presets for different levels of enabled "enhancements": Faithful, Faithful Enhanced, Modern (default) and Experimental.
When starting the mod for the first time, you will be prompted on what preset to use. They can be changed later by going into the Features Menu and choosing Choose Features Preset.
- Faithful: Features will be set as faithful as possible to the original.
- Faithful Enhanced: Some enhancements such as smooth animations, ambient sounds, gore and particles trails will be enabled, but gameplay will remain faithful to the original.
- Modern (default): More features including subtle gameplay changes will be enabled. Some monsters that weren't available in the console campaigns (Arch-Viles, etc) are also added.
- Experimental: Same as Modern, but with new visuals and music style will change over time.
There's two download flavors: Lite and Full.
Lite is just the base mod and brightmaps for those who don't want any additional features other than those built inside the mod.
Full is a massive ~1GB download because it bundles several addon pk3s that get automatically loaded when starting the mod. Each can be safely deleted or moved to a different folder to skip auto-loading them if you prefer not using it.
- Maps.LostLevels: Adds missing PC levels into the PSX DOOM campaign, and the 2020 bonus episode into DOOM 64.
- BGM.Extended: Extended, higher quality Console soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges. Some bonus tracks are also mapped to some maps when this is present.
- GFX.Brightmaps: Brightmaps, textures that remain bright regardless of how dark the room is (like switches, monsters' eyes, etc.).
- GFX.Decals: Higher quality decals. You may want to remove this to have more crispy, pixelated, vanilla-friendly decals.
- GFX.Extra: Smoothened wall/floor animations, glowing floors, and liquids will produce splashes.
- GFX.Parallax: Adds a 3D-like relief effect to liquids.
- GFX.PBR: Changes how textures react to lighting. Gives a glossy or metallic effect to textures.
- GFX.Upscale: 2x AI upscaled textures. The result was not always the best, so if you don't like it you can remove it.
- SFX.HQ: Upscaled, higher quality sounds and adds some additional sounds to some monsters.
It also includes two addons that don't get auto-loaded:
- AspectRatio: applies the horizontally-stretched aspect ratio of the PlayStation versions.
- 3PointFilter: applies the Nintendo 64's 3-Point filtering to textures.
Optional addon comparison screenshots:
Spoiler:...and on top of that, there are several megawads that have been ported to work with this mod, should you want to play new levels:
- Rumble Pak by Antnee, Koko Ricky, DMPhobos, SteelPH, hardcore_gamer, jdagenet, Kore, riderr3, RileyXY1, sector666, snapshot, TheAgaures and Yummy Pie, converted by me. It consists of a selection of maps released standalone and as part of Community Chest 64.
- The UnMaking by scwiba, converted by me.
- Beta64 by Antnee, converted by me.
- Episode 1 for DOOM 64 (Knee Deep In The Dead) by Z0k, converted by me.
- PlayStation DOOM Reloaded by RHG 45 and Yikesdude754, converted by styd051.
- Fall of Triton by RHG 45, converted by styd051.
- Plutiona 2 & PCRP by (various mappers), originally converted to the PSX TC by Cryo, converted to this mod by me.
Check out the ModDB page for detailed instructions, but TL;DR: for PSX DOOM you need the DOOM 2 IWAD, and for DOOM 64 you need the 2020 DOOM 64 remaster installed, and must run an installer batch file that is included with the download.
I am not associated with any of the authors of the Total Conversions or any other resource included in this package. All credit belongs to them! There is a credits menu where all the resources and their authors are listed. If you enjoy a specific feature that is not original to this mod, make sure to try out their individual, separate mods. While special care has been taken to be respectful to the original games, this mod does not aim for total accuracy. For that, please check out source ports such as PsyDoom or the official DOOM 64 remaster.