Option to make checkpoints in Powerslave actually save game

Moderator: Raze Developers

Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Option to make checkpoints in Powerslave actually save game

Post by Hurykles »

So... when i played Exhumed/Powerslave for the first time i didn't know how checkpoints work. I was like "oh a checkpoint. I'll go get it, turn off the game and come later because i have other stuff to do". But when i turned off the game and later launched it and i realised i had to do the ENTIRE level all over again.

BuildGDX kinda solves that problem by adding free save mode but i personally think it sometimes makes the game too easy.
So i came up with a different approach to save game: making checkpoints actually save the progress instead of being just simple respawn points. That would probably be a good middle ground because game was built with checkpoints in mind.

Also if that option was turned on that would mean that 1-ups would be useless so they would be either completly removed or replaced with something. GDX in free save mode replaces them with some random pick ups but sometimes it just looks weird when you see grenade floating 10 feet over lava pool where there supposed to be 1-up in normal mode. I think they could be replaced either by JUST full health power ups or maybe simple health pickups (like these floating blood chalices)

Of course all of that could be a toggable option so people can decide how they want to play the game.

Also i dunno if implementing this is worth time and if there is any point in adding that... But it would be cool tho :D
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Option to make checkpoints in Powerslave actually save g

Post by Graf Zahl »

The checkpoints work just like they do in the original game.If you die, you can continue the game from the latest checkpoint.

The savegame system is on a totally different layer. You can combine both features in the same playthrough, i.e. get yourself killed and restart with all already killed monsters dead from the last checkpoint, but then save the game with the number of available lives being preserved.

This setup was quite intentional.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Option to make checkpoints in Powerslave actually save g

Post by sinisterseed »

I also see little point in changing the system honestly. I think the way it works currently is just about right as you get the best of both worlds.

GDX chose to split this instead, by separating the two modes.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [Raze]”