Code: Select all
KEYMASTER mod for ZDoom
- Needs GZDoom 2.5 or higher.
- Works with pretty much any normal Doom or Heretic level - try it with your
- On every level, a random monster is made THE KEYMASTER. Tougher and faster
than its comrades.
- Level exits won't work until you've killed THE KEYMASTER and claimed the key.
- But you can't damage THE KEYMASTER until you find THE ARROW OF SLAYING
somewhere in the level.
- To find the ARROW, watch the icon on your HUD and listen for the pulse sound;
it'll get quicker as you get closer.
- Once you have the ARROW the icon & pulse will direct you to the KEYMASTER.
- Doesn't work (but should fail gracefully) on levels with no monsters, no
pickups, no exit switch/teleport lines eg boss levels.
- Level-Persistent Picks: when True means placement of THE KEYMASTER and ARROW
will always be the same on the same level + skill - good for competitive runs.
When False THE KEYMASTER and ARROW are randomized every level load.
- Start With All Normal Keys: when True all players will start each level with
all normal keys, ie the red/yellow/blue keycards and skulls. When False these
will never be replaced with the ARROW, so be aware that this alters the random
item selection process if you're using Level-Persistent Picks.
- Radar Ping: turns the pulse sound on/off.
- Radar Icon: turns the directional indicator on/off.
- KEYMASTER Health % Bonus: health will be multiplied by this. Crank this up if
you want a fierce(r) battle for the key.
- ARROW Damage % Bonus: once you have the ARROW, all damage dealt to monsters
will be multiplied by this. Definitely changes the feel of combat for the home
- KEY Damage % Bonus: once you have the KEY, all damage dealt to monsters
will be multiplied by this. Stacks with the ARROW damage bonus, so with default
settings once you have the KEY you have QUAD DAMAGE!
- all audiovisuals are placeholder, though i do love dat key sound
- multiplayer barely tested. arrow + key aren't shared in coop, though all
players still get the damage bonus and all players can exit the level once
one player gets the key.
- JP ( http://vectorpoem.com )
- Nash on the ZDoom forums for lotsa ZScript help.
- @m0rb for adding Heretic support.
- Major Cooke on the ZDoom forums for help fixing a UI / game code issue.
- Gauntlet, Wolfenstein, and Monkey Island 2 for assets.
Spoiler:Update: I streamed some Eps 1, 2, and 3 runs last night:
I've enjoyed developing this and playing levels with it. It changes the gameplay just enough, making you reconsider how you move through a level, where all the items and monsters are, and lends a very different sense of pacing to old familiar levels.
As far as future development goes, it's got pretty much all the features I originally envisioned for it. For an official release it might be nice to do original art for the key and arrow sprites, but I've grown kind of attached to the placeholder ones.
This mod doesn't modify any existing Doom classes (Player, weapons, monsters), so it should play nicely with most other mods. If you find one it doesn't play nicely with, let me know.
I don't have a great multiplayer testing setup, so if people think it's fun in coop I could use some assistance making sure it plays perfectly with that.
Download link: (latest version)