[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jigstraw

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

Post by Jigstraw »

Map 19 didn't even work for me. Two posts back someone mentioned something about a zero gravity room? If it was the spherical room with 4 cacos, mine was broken. I finally managed to actually kill all the cacos, and then couldn't get out of the room. Had to use noclip to collect the key and move on.
NAG

Post by NAG »

leodoom85 wrote:Now, the 5 worst maps...again in no order...oh boy.
Map 17 by NAG. Visually, this map is awesome but sadly it's not well balanced in terms of gameplay. This is easily the hardest map of this megawad.
Thank you for the feedback. It's hard for me to get the difficulty level right, because I usually play on lower difficulties myself, and I'm never sure how hard people want UV to be. I definitely used too many cacodemons as well.

Believe it or not, the editors actually made my map easier than it was on submission! They were more generous with pickups, and they removed a timer that barely gave you enough time to run from the hidden switch in the air vents to the rocket launcher in the cave. In retrospect, I should have made that switch more obvious.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Ooooh so that is how you access the RL? Neat. I don't know how much time you put on the switch, but I doubt it was enough with all the action going on.

As for the bug on MAP19, I never managed to reproduce it. It once happened to me, but that's about it. Thought it was fixed. Hm.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Regarding maps i find the one from kinsie the most ridiculus.

WHY HAVE SELF-REVIVING ENEMYS FOR NO RESSON!!!
Jigstraw

Post by Jigstraw »

Heh, if it helps, I'm not on the absolute newest GZDoom I don't think. 2.3pre-343-g49605bc. haven't needed to update for any particular reason in awhile but I figure if anything causes issues with wads it's probably my version of gzdoom.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I did a playthrough, even uploaded it. And it was in GZDoom 2.2.0
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Finally got a chance to try this - it's great to see the ways that people work with the 20-monster restriction :) I've started putting together thoughts at http://teamouse.net/games/doom/d20m.txt , having played through the first 16 maps so far... I can see what people mean about 17, it's definitely a tough one.
Spoiler: Maps 1 to 16
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Hey, good stuff, man! Thanks for the reviews, DavidN! Certainly good to hear feedback, and it's twice as better if the feedback's positive. :D

Also, the music in BillGuy's MAP13 is custom. It's unlikely that you've heard exactly that one. He's made it himself. Good track, indeed! One of my favs in the project.
BillGuy

Post by BillGuy »

Hey DavidN,

Thanks for taking the time to write short reviews of each map, that's really helpful to see what others think and what troubles they have. To answer your question, yes, strafe running was intended for reaching the red key on MAP13. The confusion was my fault for not broadcasting that, I'll do better in that regards next time - good job in figuring it out! ;)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

You're welcome! I think that was the first map I've played where straferunning was an intended mechanic, so I'm not sure how to effectively indicate it's intended :) Great music, by the way!

Added some more thoughts up to MAP25:
Spoiler: Maps 17 to 25
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Spent a while away from this, but here are the next ten - there are some real highlights in here.
Spoiler: Maps 26 to 35
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Oooooh! New episode! New episode! *grabs popcorn*

Thanks for all the reviews, man!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Nice! I really like reading these. :)

As an aside, Doomja Vu did actually include portions from another map (not sure which, you'll have to ask the playtesters) justifying the name, but it was judged by the moderating team as plagiarism. Generally, unless the mapping is done completely by the author (i.e. not copypaste), radically different, or "tongue-in-cheek" as they say, it is generally frowned upon, and I'm pretty sure /idgames have a specific rule against that sort of thing.

Also, Knightmare Doom needs to be a thing. I remember living near some kid who won the "eye-shield", and wanted to go over there at some point and rob him. Ah, the ambitions of youth....
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Aha, that makes sense... I understand why the change had to be made. And wow, that's a major celebrity you grew up near as far as I'm concerned :) I've felt for ages that the technology is there to recreate it, with Youtube and VR and everything, but nobody has! "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" is kind of close, with one player giving instructions and one doing the actions...

I tried out playing Doom Knightmare-style once. We should really have turned the vertical aiming off, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ29d2FMGkI

Anyway - here are the rest :) Thanks to everyone for a great team project!
Spoiler: Maps 36 to 42
And finally...

MAP00 - Credits

What a great touch at the end :) Thank you to all the mappers and everyone who contributed to this project - and the organizers did great work in tying together a disparate set of maps by very different authors! I keep on saying that I'd love to participate or organize one of these eventually, and some time I'll manage it...
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

DavidN wrote:I only found two of the four secrets and feel that I'm missing something quite big :)
Stuff blowing up. Look carefully everywhere.
DavidN wrote:Something weird happened to the inside of the three-key door when it was fully closed and I'm not sure if it was a result of that: http://i.imgur.com/UqR7F0L.png
GODDAMNIT I SWEAR I HAD FIXED THIS

DavidN wrote:I utterly failed to find the route to this level.
My first map. Be a vandal.

Return to “Levels”