ZScript "Standard Library" - Brainstorming

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZScript "Standard Library" - Brainstorming

Post by Rachael »

So who's opening the HOERS repository? I was going to do it myself as an organization and just add a few people as admins, and then you guys can add in contributors as you please. I think it would be nice to have a kind of "official unofficial" extra for modders to be able to include into their projects.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

If you're up for opening it and giving it a quasi-official blessing, that'd be fantastic. :)

If by "organization" you indeed mean a GitHub organization (with potentially multiple repositories), this ain't a bad idea. I can already see a few distinct categories of "zscript libraries" that could exist:
  • "HOERS", or, "ZBoost", or whatever we decide to call the "standard library." Good design and high quality-control mandatory.
  • A big Example Wad(tm) of in-game implementations of the above.
  • Specialized libraries; e.g. if someone hypothetically remade Zeta-Windows in ZScript.
If we're indeed gonna go the "HOERS" route, a less word-salad-y bacronym would be "Handy Open Example Repository for Scripts".

Alternatively, "Hamish's Open Example Repository for Scripts" -- Hamish being the name of the horse, of course.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I like the Hamish idea. :) And yeah, cleaning up the "word salad" really is nice. I was half asleep when I made that.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm really tempted to ping Kurashiki for some artwork for this, because the image of a cutesy Doomguy prancing around on a derpy horse is impossible to un-think. :P
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Fuck yes we need that! :mrgreen:

And to all you 'neigh' sayers... AH SCREW YOU, THIS SHIT IS FUNNY.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Xaser wrote:If you're up for opening it and giving it a quasi-official blessing, that'd be fantastic. :)

If by "organization" you indeed mean a GitHub organization (with potentially multiple repositories), this ain't a bad idea. I can already see a few distinct categories of "zscript libraries" that could exist:
  • "HOERS", or, "ZBoost", or whatever we decide to call the "standard library." Good design and high quality-control mandatory.
  • A big Example Wad(tm) of in-game implementations of the above.
  • Specialized libraries; e.g. if someone hypothetically remade Zeta-Windows in ZScript.
I'd suggest a division like this:
  • the Handy Open Example Repository SYSTEM would contain specialized stuff. Things that show how certain complex effects can be obtained.
  • the Standard ZScript Library would contain a small number of generic functions that can be useful for pretty much any project.
  • the Demonstration & Example Repository Project would have ready-to-test examples using stuff from SZL and HOERS.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Helping Others [with] Effective Real Scripting by ZZYZX still seems best IMO.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Gez wrote:I'd suggest a division like this:
  • the Handy Open Example Repository SYSTEM would contain specialized stuff. Things that show how certain complex effects can be obtained.
  • the Standard ZScript Library would contain a small number of generic functions that can be useful for pretty much any project.
  • the Demonstration & Example Repository Project would have ready-to-test examples using stuff from SZL and HOERS.
Welp. Sold. :P

[On a quasi-related note, I need to figure out how to name a future project "WELP" now...]
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

HOERS, SZL and DERP.

Fan fucking tastic. :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Xaser wrote:[On a quasi-related note, I need to figure out how to name a future project "WELP" now...]
What Ever Looks Pretty - could be a graphics/SFX library. :P
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

We desperately need a portal-aware CheckSight.
Wonder if this belongs to this library or the engine now :)

Since we can already kind of iterate sectors recursively in a way suitable for portals. It'd be slow AF though, simply because VM.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

While we could get away with dumber things for DECORATE, zscript is a lot more prone to fuck-youing everyone who makes the slightest slip-up or relies upon notorious hackery that Graf has broken for the sake of progress (and I agree with). So for now, maybe best to wait on that until something better can come along, ZZYZX.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm going to be that unpopular guy and say I like ZBoost more, actually. It sounds more professional.

But I'll roll with the collective. Anything's fine, as long as the code will be of high quality. :D
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

ZBoost refers to the C++ Boost library. C++ Boost library is the worst thing ever, mainly because it stretches compile times from minutes to hours thanks to template abusing.
I wouldn't call something good Boost.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well - if the name is already in use for a project with that kind of reputation - I will say I definitely would not consider it.

Although this project is so full of naming puns at this point, it's going to be a toss up seeing which ones stick.

Speaking of puns ... Pretty Useful Next-gen Stuff

Return to “Script Library”