D4T (New v2.5 Trailer pg 47)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [WIP] D4T: Death Foretold Out now!! pg1

Post by Major Cooke »

He finished it, but he's not spending more time on it from the looks of things.
Vodka32

Post by Vodka32 »

The mod keeps freezing on my kindle fire :(
Trump Stumper

Post by Trump Stumper »

Major Cooke wrote:He finished it, but he's not spending more time on it from the looks of things.
To be honest, I'd rather see an updated version of the Starter Pack megawad. The freedoom placeholder levels kinda stink. And to be brutally (heh) honest, I think the Starter Pack maps are a lot better than the freedoom 2 maps; the freedoom project would probably get more attention if they stuffed the SP megawad into the freedoom 2 iwad.

Anyhow, I guess at this point it doesn't really matter if he works on his D4D mod, since we have this mod (the one in this thread) and the official D4D. And maybe Zion at some point in the future. I'd also like it if he updated BD for the 2.x versions of GZDoom.

And to get back on topic, I played the 1.0 version of this mod, and I like it. A lot. Actually a little bit more than D4D, since it takes away some of the RPG stuff that I wasn't too fond of. Now don't get me wrong... there was a time when I enjoyed playing nethack for years at a time. But some games, like Doom, in my opinion, work better with a fast and furious arcade style of action. On a semi-related note, one of the things I didn't like about the last BD was having to manually switch between EVERY SINGLE GUN when they ran out of ammo. I mean, are we trying to imply that Doomguy is a moron that is just going to sit there pulling the trigger on an empty gun all day long? (Slightly more offensive is the fact that YOU are Doomguy...)

Good job, guys. Thanks for both D4D and D4T. :3:
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Some action in 1080p :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

With HD Texture, now it looks absolutely gorgeous!! :D
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The kinetic mines seem kind of finicky when it comes to setting them off. How exactly do they work--do enemies need to cross in front of them, or...?
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

Funky Gnoll wrote:The kinetic mines seem kind of finicky when it comes to setting them off. How exactly do they work--do enemies need to cross in front of them, or...?
The description of the guide says
"Kinetic Mine: Deploys a mine that will automatically activate and explode once an enemy walks near it"
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Current Synposis:
I've jumped into every Zandro game possible with D4T.

Let's start with Deathmatch.

Pistol is dissapointingly underpowered, maybe an Auto-shot and fast Secondary Charge can fix this up.

Carrion Canon is worthless altogether, in D4D it was a great Alt for when you glory killed and gibbed alot and was low on BFG Ammo, Here, it's basically a slightly stronger pistol, but weaker due to the pistol's rapid fire capability, It would be nice to have the Burst Rifle in it's place because of the burst shot and range.

Combat Shotgun is golden, too bad most of the DM maps I've played on gives Super Shotgun.

Super Shotgun is great really close, but it's spread makes it a very poor choice in any other situation.

H.A.R. is dissapointingly underpowered, unloading so much ammo just to achieve very little, sad part is Vanilla Chaingun is way better.

Chaingun is pretty balanced, it feels exactly how it should.

Grenade Launcher is fucking broken, The Primary is great and does as intended but it's secondary is where everything gets fishy, if you get caught in the smoke bomb, you might as well consider a -2 because it'll last as you respawn.

Rocket Launcher, No Data.

Plasma Rifle, It's working as intended, but how Zandro + Ping handles it, Plasma Rifles are always weird online, only suggestion is to change the secondary, stunning in a fast paced gibfest is too slow.

Lighting Rifle is the best weapon so far, it's the Plasma rifle but 100% more relyable, it's a guaranteed +5 unless you really suck.

BFG 9000, No Data.

---------

Now Let's get into Co-Op.

Mod "RNG" is wonky, maybe if there were a script to actually make it RNG, this would work better.
Demon mode Bug still works, but a simple Jump-out and back in will fix it... at the cost of losing all progress.

-----

Invasion.

No Comapatability, sucks because I think D4T would Definately shine in this mode if the Mod RNG issue would be resolved.

------

All the other 10 game modes.
No Data, nobody wants to play those.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Funky Gnoll wrote:The kinetic mines seem kind of finicky when it comes to setting them off. How exactly do they work--do enemies need to cross in front of them, or...?
That's true. They work in a "tripwire" type of deal. However, we have found that in general they are really, as you said very precisely, finicky to trigger. For the upcoming patch this behaviour will be changed to regular proximity style, rather than a tripwire.

Kazudra wrote:Current Synposis:
Hey, thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. I will address each point
Kazudra wrote:Let's start with Deathmatch.

Pistol is dissapointingly underpowered, maybe an Auto-shot and fast Secondary Charge can fix this up.
I disagree. Ammo is unlimited, each shot deals 10 dm for primary, and if you learn to time each shot right, the rate of fire is pretty fast. Also, each alt fire shot deals 40 pts of damage. Two charged shots + 2 primary and you've killed a freshly spawned player. And it's a perfectly accurate hitscan. And the most important thing: is the starting weapon, you're not supposed to have the strongest weapon starting the game. The original doom gave you a crappy pistol with terrible accuracy.
Kazudra wrote: Carrion Canon is worthless altogether, in D4D it was a great Alt for when you glory killed and gibbed alot and was low on BFG Ammo, Here, it's basically a slightly stronger pistol, but weaker due to the pistol's rapid fire capability, It would be nice to have the Burst Rifle in it's place because of the burst shot and range.
There's the mistake. This isnt a "carrion cannon" which is a made up weapon in D4D. This weapon is the hellshot. Maybe you're not familiar with doom4, but what you see in D4T is what the weapon does the the parent game. It's a precision weapon that is tricky to master, but definitely not worthless at all.

See @8:37
Spoiler:
That's the fire rate you can have if you learn to time it. And 25 damage each means killing a player very quickly if you are a good aimer.
Kazudra wrote: Combat Shotgun is golden, too bad most of the DM maps I've played on gives Super Shotgun.
And that's what I hate about the original Doom DM.
Kazudra wrote: Super Shotgun is great really close, but it's spread makes it a very poor choice in any other situation.
Which is in purpose to aliviate the point you mentioned above.
Kazudra wrote: H.A.R. is dissapointingly underpowered, unloading so much ammo just to achieve very little, sad part is Vanilla Chaingun is way better.
Sorry, i also have to disagree there. It deals 10 dmg per bullet, so it literally only takes 10 shots to kill a fresh player. Also, much more accurate than vanilla chaingun.
Kazudra wrote:Chaingun is pretty balanced, it feels exactly how it should.
Heh. In every single situation I prefer the HAR because of accuracy.
Kazudra wrote:Grenade Launcher is fucking broken, The Primary is great and does as intended but it's secondary is where everything gets fishy, if you get caught in the smoke bomb, you might as well consider a -2 because it'll last as you respawn.
I will agree that the fact that it lasts until the next life is bad, and it has been addressed in the upcoming patch (along with cacodemon screen stains). But other than that, we are having a blast with this weapon, which in our opinion, works miles better than doom4's GL alt fire.
Kazudra wrote: Plasma Rifle, It's working as intended, but how Zandro + Ping handles it, Plasma Rifles are always weird online, only suggestion is to change the secondary, stunning in a fast paced gibfest is too slow.
That's another situational thing. Try using it in small maps or in a cluster of players and you'll see how much it wrecks.
Kazudra wrote: Lighting Rifle is the best weapon so far, it's the Plasma rifle but 100% more relyable, it's a guaranteed +5 unless you really suck.
Agreed.
Kazudra wrote: Now Let's get into Co-Op.

Mod "RNG" is wonky, maybe if there were a script to actually make it RNG, this would work better.
I dont understand what you mean there. Are you saying it's not actually random?
Kazudra wrote:Demon mode Bug still works, but a simple Jump-out and back in will fix it... at the cost of losing all progress.
That's indeed a bug that we're trying to fix, but Im having troubles replicating it reliably to figure out the exact cause.
Kazudra wrote: Invasion.

No Comapatability, sucks because I think D4T would Definately shine in this mode if the Mod RNG issue would be resolved.
I have no idea (yet) how to get it working there.

Also keep in mind that the balance in DM is very different than in SP/COOP. Each weapon was balanced with specific things in mind and what i've found from feedback is that it all depends on what weapon style people prefer. From your feedback is clear to me you like weapons that fire fast, wheter projectile or hitscan, PR, LG, CG.

I like hitscan presicion weapons, LG, HAR, SR, HS.

Michaelis likes spread weapons: SG, SSG, PR.

Which is precisely what each weapon is for. They're good in certain situations, bad in others and really depends on which weapon style each one prefer.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

I'm gonna do some more testing, most likely host D4T using Megaman 8-bit's maps, I feel that it's style is more suited for D4T's gameplay.
Vanilla maps.... ehhh..
Deii

Post by Deii »

Oi, I think I got a bug to report: punching while holding the gauss cannon or static rifle makes your punch leave their respective decals in walls.
Spoiler: video
Sorry for the choppy framerate, this is a potato in every sense of the word.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

This is an issue that D4D has as well, and was never solved as far as I know. No idea if now that Decorate is deprecated (support only, no further expansion) the new scripting system allows such an issue to be solved.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Kazudra wrote:I'm gonna do some more testing, most likely host D4T using Megaman 8-bit's maps, I feel that it's style is more suited for D4T's gameplay.
Vanilla maps.... ehhh..
We have been having a blast with udmx, might wanna give it a shot. Gothicdm is pretty nice too, although bots tend to go full Retard and drop off cliffs and never come back :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Deii wrote:Oi, I think I got a bug to report: punching while holding the gauss cannon or static rifle makes your punch leave their respective decals in walls.
Spoiler: video
Sorry for the choppy framerate, this is a potato in every sense of the word.
Yep, it's a bug. The issue is that in ols gzdoom, railgun puffs fail to leave a decal, so the decal has to be assigned to the weapon itself, which has the side effects of magic punch decals.

The only way to avoid it would be to remove decals from the weapon completely.

But let's say that its a feature. Its... To... Ehhh... Tag where you've been. Yes. Thats what it is.

Sorry for double post. I'm on the phone and it gets tricky to do multi quote
Trump Stumper

Post by Trump Stumper »

What does it mean when people use the word "potato"?

Going purely by context, it seems to have the potential to mean several different things, while failing to have one singular definition (or really any definition).

Is this a joke of some sort?

When I was a kid, a potato was something you ate. I mean, I once read 'A Clockwork Orange', and I was able to figure out the slang there, and I can sorta decipher African-American Vernacular English, so I'm not a total idiot...
Last edited by Trump Stumper on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”