[TPS]BlackWarrior Alpha0.17b (updated 8 jan 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomenator

Re: [TPS][WIP]BlackWarrior Alpha 0.16 Released

Post by Doomenator »

Nice mod, but really want first person mode.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Captain J wrote:When the creator officially said no is no. 3rd person view is intended for the mod and cannot be changed or modified. If someone actually wants to make mutator for this mod, be our guest.
Remind this, please.
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

Doomenator wrote:Nice mod, but really want first person mode.
Then you can play another mod.

Please read the title, its tps mod you know.
I'm not gonna add first person feature forever
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Which is a shame really (IMO of course). This is shaping up to be an exceptionally professional mod with some beautiful custom graphics and very interesting and novel features. Unfortunately (again IMO) they are all let down by a clunky, inaccurate, hard to control and not even very good-looking third person view. I'm actually at a bit of a loss to understand why a mod with such a high focus on good-looking, well implemented custom content is being tied to this rather poor TPS gameplay. I have to lay my cards on the table and say that I'm not a huge fan of third person games anyway, by their very nature I find them unintuitive and far less controllable or immersive compared to their FPS cousins, but controlling this is worse than most.

Still, if a TPS is what you want to create and you're happy with it, crack on.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Besides, some people don't like TPS games for reason and has opinion to tell why. And yet the developer can make it better if they can find out how to tweak it nicely despite people are not big fan of it.

To me, it's quite unique to have TPS feature for doom mod, along with other TPS mods out here. I just glad the player actually can dash and sprint, hehe.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

My view hasn't really changed on the whole third person thing for some time.
In 2010 Enjay wrote:I have to confess I simply don't understand the whole third person genre. Fine if it is completely third person where you control a sprite that moves around a world and the camera is some distance from the player (Crusader: No Remorse etc). That's a totally different kind of game. However, any game where the camera follows the player closely enough for the gameplay to basically be first person - but isn't - simply doesn't make sense to me. I mean, what's the point? It just makes it harder to aim or to see things from the player character's perspective, the player gets in the way, angles are harder to calculate, the camera swings arround disconcertingly... In some games that I have played with this kind of perspective (eg Rogue Trooper), I would find myself deliberately hugging walls to force the camera as close to inside my head as possible. Surprise surprise, when I did this, the game got much better. I hear people saying things like "it's fine once you get used to it" but that still doesn't make sense to me. I know that any game has a learning curve but "getting used" to a cock-eyed system doesn't change the fact that it is a cock-eyed system.

The only excuse I can see for this type of setup is that game makers want the people who play their games to see the "cool" character and all the uber 1337 animations that they have crafted for it. (Well, that and to allow repressed geeks to get their kicks by watching Lara Croft's ass.) Frankly, I'd rather not play a messed up illogical control system just so that a game maker can show off his modelling skills.

And in Zdoom, it is even worse than a game designed to be like this because, even though chasecam can be fine (and fun) for a bit, Zdoom simply doesn't work well in an over the shoulder/behind view.
In any TPS game I have played, sooner or later I have found myself frustrated at the controls and desperate to get a first person view. With many games, it's been a deal breaker for me and I've either quit or not bought it in the first place. With a ZDoom mod, I'm even more likely to quit and just bin the mod. LWM is the only person who has come close to making a properly controllable TPS in (G)ZDoom IMO (with her Cammy mod).

All that being said, if GreenLegacy wants to make a TPS, then that's what GreenLegacy should make. It's his mod. It just won't be a mod that I'll get much fun out of, or probably even play right through. I'm sure other people will enjoy it though.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Hmm, i haven't seen your article before until now, but that sounds indeed reasonable.
Enjay wrote:All that being said, if GreenLegacy wants to make a TPS, then that's what GreenLegacy should make. It's his mod. It just won't be a mod that I'll get much fun out of, or probably even play right through. I'm sure other people will enjoy it though.
Of course, this is his mod. Yet might has possibilities to make it, again, better or at least. So i understand you.
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

as the release of my new version of BlackWarrior is present, let me introduce some revised points.

1.the enhancement of camera script

camera script is enhanced much better, more smooth and stable! I had arduous work to fix camera problems for my millitary service time.(Thank you ZombieKiller, this work was largely credited to you!)

2. the aiming point of third person's viewing.

you will be able to aim at all targets accurately , at target's crosshair dead center, which was not realized at the version 0.16

3. the change of musics is progressed to 95%.

the remain to change is only 1 music! all will be changed to the musics I have created soon!

4.frenzy code is changed.

at past time, when slowmotion was nearly finished, activating frenzy skill stopped sound playing and attempting to use the slowmotion again was impossible. at this time, this problem is solved. regardless of the use of frenzy skill,

regardless of the time of using this skill, even when using slowmotion, activating skill will be going well up to the length of sound play time and playing sound will work well.

and another problem that when you turned off night vision and turn on this again, red screen is unlocked is fixed

5.you will be able to get ammos from all enemies(except boss).

ammos you will be able to get are different for each enemies. moreover, if some ammos of weapons were difficult to get at the past version, at this version getting these ammos will be frequent a little more. so you will be able to use these weapons mainly, which were not usable for main combat because of the deficiency of ammo at the past version! (except for rare weapon)

6.revision of auto defender.

1)as the interface adequate for this was absent , players could not know how much time the durability would be hold

2)according to the ballistic vest or the armor you are wearing, the class of objects auto defender can defend and the durability of auto defender is determinded.

ex)for the case of heavy armor and titan armor, these have the most wide class these can defend so when you wear one of these two armor, you will be safe from explosion damage.

3)Lightning upgrade is added. this patch is that auto defender can give Lightning damages against enemies at certain domain but whenever giving Lightning damage, the durability of autodefender will decrease. moreover, the max durability of autodefender will decrease by 50%. autodefender's Lightning attack will be charged automatically when attacking, and when charging is completed , a big and beautiful Lightning will be shot!

4)when the autodefender is destroyed, this will explode EMP so that player can obtain more time to survive from drones, wasps (and even from exterminators!)

7.the revision of interface

when you pick up weapons, the game screen will show you the weapon graphics you have picked up.
and when slot is filled with some items , screen will show you what slots are filled completely with each slot numbers so you will be able to find the cause of the impossibility of picking weapons or items up more. at the past version, this fundamental system was not realized so many players complained of inconvenience.

8.some changes of some sprites and special effects.

unnatural graphics of blood spattering and weapon sprites are changed. but player sprites are not changed yet. player and monster sprites will be created awesome at next time.

9.fundamental key setting is applyed.

from this time, fundamental key setting will be automatically constructed. like WASD keyboard, key setting will be constructed to enable you to play my mod without inconvenience. to my regret, you have to set mouse alwayslook on passively. except for mouse, you can play the game with automatically constructed key setting.

10.the change of game menu design

design is changed more modern and all fonts are also!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

GreenLegacy wrote:1.the enhancement of camera script

camera script is enhanced much better, more smooth and stable! I had arduous work to fix camera problems for my millitary service time.(Thank you ZombieKiller, this work was largely credited to you!)
Now you're talking. It sounds more hopeful now!
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

GreenLegacy wrote:as the release of my new version of BlackWarrior is present, let me introduce some revised points.

I hope it will look well as here.
Spoiler:
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

Doomenator wrote:
GreenLegacy wrote:as the release of my new version of BlackWarrior is present, let me introduce some revised points.

I hope it will look well as here.
Spoiler:
Of course. It's better than that
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

GreenLegacy wrote:camera script is enhanced much better, more smooth and stable! I had arduous work to fix camera problems for my millitary service time.(Thank you ZombieKiller, this work was largely credited to you!)
I look forward to seeing the new camera in action within the mod! :D
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Re: [TPS]BlackWarrior Alpha0.17 Released (updated 5 jan 2017

Post by PlayerLin »

Even I'm not fan of TPS games but this one looks so special...those custom artworks really give me lot of interests and make me want to just try it... :P

I noticed the HUD doesn't like lower resolutions(800x600 and lower, text on option menu just unreadable but the game still playable, just the HUD is a little big) or higher one(1280x??? and higher, I tried 1920x1080 just the dark of visor(?) HUD not fit the whole screen I guess)

Also, is that normal, when player got knock downed, the camera move to lower position, and then I hit jump key to get up, but the camera never go back up to its normal position? I'm not sure if it's normal or not... it never back to normal unless you leave the game and restart again.Enable Buddha cheat on console and you can get this 100% reproducible. :p

Nice mod and I see a lot of potential, I hope it won't dead before it completes... :3:
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

PlayerLin wrote: I noticed the HUD doesn't like lower resolutions(800x600 and lower, text on option menu just unreadable but the game still playable, just the HUD is a little big) or higher one(1280x??? and higher, I tried 1920x1080 just the dark of visor(?) HUD not fit the whole screen I guess)

Also, is that normal, when player got knock downed, the camera move to lower position, and then I hit jump key to get up, but the camera never go back up to its normal position? I'm not sure if it's normal or not... it never back to normal unless you leave the game and restart again.Enable Buddha cheat on console and you can get this 100% reproducible. :p
oh that's why i need more tester and feedback thank you for playing i just fixed that bug :)

if you having trouble with big size hud you have to disable "stretch fullscreen hud" option

option-->hud option-->"stretch fullscreen hud"off got it?

actally i don't have idea on "big size hud" problem right now

when i use old version of gzdoom didn't happened like this, i think we have to manually until i find out
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

GreenLegacy wrote: oh that's why i need more tester and feedback thank you for playing i just fixed that bug :)

if you having trouble with big size hud you have to disable "stretch fullscreen hud" option

option-->hud option-->"stretch fullscreen hud"off got it?

actally i don't have idea on "big size hud" problem right now

when i use old version of gzdoom didn't happened like this, i think we have to manually until i find out
This is the screenshot taken on 800x600 resolution, stretch fullscreen hud is off for sure. I'm using GZDooM x64-g2.4pre-42-g62ea83a from here.

I think about that a little more, maybe just 800x600 is too small for the HUD artworks... :3:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”