Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 12-06-16 [beta]

Post by Josh771 »

Endless123 wrote:Am i the only one unable to run the mod because it crashes each time a map is loaded?

Ho and yes i have the most recent dev build and it still crashing.

EDIT: Now it's loading but i can't use any weapons and i can't pickup the pistol replacing the chainsaw(map 1 of Doom 2)

Also note that for me the mod crashes each time i'm loading it with someone's else non-weapon mods
I actually experienced a similar problem with my own testing. It was resolved by renaming a Decorate entry that shared the same name as one in the mod. I would have thought this wouldn't cause problems, but that solved it. Which mod are you attempting to load with r6w.pk3?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Well most custom map wad are causing this mod to crash. When it's loaded without anything it working ok but no weapons can be used - no weapon sprites are shown (they spawn ok but they aren't shown when selected) not even the fists sprites are shown. The only weapon that can't be picked up is the one(s) replacing the chainsaw. I haven't found any weapon setup in the KEYCONF and there is no weapon order in the player decorate definition so maybe adding they could increase the compatibility of this mod because unlike the map wads weapons mods need to have the weapons defined and ordered somewhere to work properly - at least that's how i understand how it works.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

All of the selection ordering is handled in DECORATE; I play this frequently with gd.wad, jenesis.wad, eviltech.wad, etc... so I can't understand the problem. Are you playing a map that modifies the player and weapons? I think map sets like TUTNT modify things like that and I can't guarantee that my mod won't break with mapsets like that. What's your load order? Are you loading the map after r6w.pk3? Try reversing that if it's your current load order.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

SidDoyle wrote:All of the selection ordering is handled in DECORATE; I play this frequently with gd.wad, jenesis.wad, eviltech.wad, etc... so I can't understand the problem. Are you playing a map that modifies the player and weapons? I think map sets like TUTNT modify things like that and I can't guarantee that my mod won't break with mapsets like that. What's your load order? Are you loading the map after r6w.pk3? Try reversing that if it's your current load order.
after further investigation it looks like the mods i was using do include modified weapon order - that could be the cause of the crashes

as for when it's loading it doesn't explain why i can't use any weapons at all and when i do "give all" to get all the weapons and try to select a weapon there is a message in yellow saying " CLASSWEAPON" and nothing else is showing. could it be the loading order? i mean i'm using zdoom launcher and maybe i'm not launching your mod in the right order or something like that.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've had similar problems in the past. I'm not sure how to get it to run. You could share your load order I suppose. I wonder if adding a KEYCONF lump to my mod would increase compatibility?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

SidDoyle wrote:I've had similar problems in the past. I'm not sure how to get it to run. You could share your load order I suppose. I wonder if adding a KEYCONF lump to my mod would increase compatibility?
You already have a KEYCONF in your mod but the weapon designation order isn't present there. I'll do some test on my side so if i find anything useful i will tell you.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I cannot run this at all, something is messed up
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

forget the KEYCONF, it's an old ways to do it anyways. the weapons order and def are now in the MAPINFO file in the "gameinfo" section - the same place we usually place the new classes.

here is an example :

Code: Select all

gameinfo
{
    PlayerClasses = "AssaultMarine", "PREDATOR", "XenomorphPlayer"
   weaponslot = 1, "M4A3Pistol", "HuntersCLAWS", "XenoMelee"
   weaponslot = 2, "PulseRifleMKII", "CombiSTICK"
   weaponslot = 3, "NewShotgun", "D3SSG", "PlasmaBLASTER"
   weaponslot = 4, "Smartgun", "SpearGun"
   weaponslot = 5, "M240Flamethrower", "SmartDisk"
   weaponslot = 6, "USCMRocketLauncher", "PlasmaCASTER"
   weaponslot = 7, "Minigun", "Accumulator"
   weaponslot = 8, "SniperRifle"
   weaponslot = 9, "HandCannon"
	NoFallingDamage = TRUE
	dimcolor = "0 100 255"
	dimamount = 0.45
	cursorpic = "PDSKF0"
	pickupcolor = "Blue"
	MenuFontColor_Title = "gold"
	MenuFontColor_Action = "cyan"
	MenuFontColor_Label = "cyan"
	MenuFontColor_Selection = "gold"
	MenuFontColor_Header = "blue"
}

clearskills
Also i noticed that there is no sprites for the weapons when they are in hands by the player. Since you are making a mod with custom weapons be sure that all the weapons sprites are present in the "Sprites" folder or in the "Graphics" if you are using the TEXTURES definitions to manipulate the sprites.

Also moving this :

#include "Decorate/Ammo"
#include "Decorate/Pistols"
#include "Decorate/SMGs"
#include "Decorate/Shotguns"
#include "Decorate/ARs"
#include "Decorate/Snipers"
#include "Decorate/LMGs"
//#include "Decorate/Terrorists"
... at the end of the DECORATE file seems to improve the situation a bit - is shows the name of the selected weapon instead of always showing the "CLASSWEAPON" message

I'll edit this post if i find something else that could help

i fixed the unusable weapon problems - in DECORATE i added this :

Player.StartItem "R6_RandomPrimary"

to the player def - there is still no sprites for the weapons but all weapons are usable now.
Last edited by Endless123 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

So I haven't tried the mod since the initial release, but I do have one suggestion: if there aren't going to be first-person sprites (it sounds like there will be?), perhaps a Rogue Spear-esque progress bar could be introduced for reloading? The audio cue helps a bit, but sometimes it's difficult to hear.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Endless123 wrote:Also i noticed that there is no sprites for the weapons when they are in hands by the player. Since you are making a mod with custom weapons be sure that all the weapons sprites are present in the "Sprites" folder or in the "Graphics" if you are using the TEXTURES definitions to manipulate the sprites.
I don't have HUD sprites for any weapons yet, but they do appear as centered versions of their pickup sprites.
Endless123 wrote:Also moving this :

#include "Decorate/Ammo"
#include "Decorate/Pistols"
#include "Decorate/SMGs"
#include "Decorate/Shotguns"
#include "Decorate/ARs"
#include "Decorate/Snipers"
#include "Decorate/LMGs"
//#include "Decorate/Terrorists"
... at the end of the DECORATE file seems to improve the situation a bit - is shows the name of the selected weapon instead of always showing the "CLASSWEAPON" message.
Hmm, I can live with that.
Endless123 wrote:i fixed the unusable weapon problems - in DECORATE i added this :

Player.StartItem "R6_RandomPrimary"

to the player def - there is still no sprites for the weapons but all weapons are usable now.
That's not a particularly good fix, since it gives you a free primary weapon in addition to your loadout. Can you switch weapons and still use them? This doesn't make sense as a solution if you couldn't use the weapons at all before.
wildweasel wrote:So I haven't tried the mod since the initial release, but I do have one suggestion: if there aren't going to be first-person sprites (it sounds like there will be?), perhaps a Rogue Spear-esque progress bar could be introduced for reloading? The audio cue helps a bit, but sometimes it's difficult to hear.
Hopefully there will be HUD sprites in the fairly near future, but I can put together some reload progress animations in the meantime.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Just a taste of what's to come: r6w_92fs.pk3

This is the Beretta 92FS using basically the raw sprites linked by ZikShadow; even without hands or additional sprite work, I really like how smooth the animation is. The file does not include the other weapons and isn't intended as anything other than a showcase. Hopefully we'll have centered HUD sprites for all 53 weapons in good time; Crudux Cruo has offered graciously to pitch in with some sprite work, getting the weapons all handed and whatnot.

I'm gonna need to start getting a credits.txt in order; thanks for all the help, guys!
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 12-07-16 [beta]

Post by Josh771 »

Bumping to say I've uploaded some minor tweaks - weapon inaccuracy is now more affected by movement than before - and I've also added weapon slots to MAPINFO in the hopes that it will increase mod compatibility somehow. I also decided to make weapon pickups have full magazines in them. I felt cheated when I would pick up an assault rifle only to find that it had a single bullet in it.
Nocturned85

Post by Nocturned85 »

Want to say, "Great mod". Has a lot of variety in the weapons.

Only encountered this problem however in this update. I fire my weapon sometimes then sometimes the screen jumps around. For example, I'm in map 1, episode 1 of Ultimate Doom using one of the starter pistols after I run. Fire straight at the enemy, then suddenly I'm looking at the ceiling, the floor or another wall for some reason. I tried restarting the level over and over but it still happens at random times. That is one hell of a recoil.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

The screen is supposed to jump, but never so much that a single bullet brings you from 0 to 90 degrees. Are you loading anything else with it?
Nocturned85

Post by Nocturned85 »

Just the mod itself, using the Qzdoom source and it runs fine.

Though I went back to experiment more and put the cheat code, "Sv_unlimited_pickup true" because I wanted a little more ammo for the shotgun and that's when it starts to jump around after firing. Sorry I should have said that earlier, but I wasn't so sure yet.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”