SidDoyle's Mutators - New skies for Dark Doom!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - RealAim, Dark Doom, and more!

Post by Josh771 »

I have a solution. I have to make custom brightmaps for Dark Doom. Oh... oh yes. This will be good.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Look at the docs: https://zdoom.org/wiki/GLDEFS#Glowing_flats

You can define a "texture" instead (must still be on a floor/ceiling to work) with adjustable glow height and optional fullbright.

Brightmaps are still good though :D There should already be some in existence for most of Doom 1+2. I think sprites are included in GZDoom already (brightmaps.pk3) so you could just import that since it's not autoloaded by default. texures in these threads as well:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26039
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22918

8-)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Caligari87 wrote:Look at the docs: https://zdoom.org/wiki/GLDEFS#Glowing_flats

You can define a "texture" instead (must still be on a floor/ceiling to work) with adjustable glow height and optional fullbright.

Brightmaps are still good though :D There should already be some in existence for most of Doom 1+2. I think sprites are included in GZDoom already (brightmaps.pk3) so you could just import that since it's not autoloaded by default. texures in these threads as well:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26039
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22918

8-)
That's quite alright; I've made my own brightmaps for select flats and may make more in the future. I am very picky when it comes to my vision for a project; I've eliminated fullbright from my current glow definitions and made brightmaps that supply dim lighting to unlit parts of glowing flats - obviously the parts giving off the light are quite bright.

I think they're in a state worth uploading at this point, although they can always be tweaked if need be.

EDIT: There, uploaded new dark_doom.pk3, dark_doom_lite.pk3, and dark_doom_black.pk3 - the new GLDEFS make Dark Doom Black especially atmospheric.
Big C

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - Dark Doom updated 11/28

Post by Big C »

Hay Doyle, hate to be needy but since I won't have a gaming PC for at least a few weeks, could you please take some screenshots with Dark Doom Black and Subdued Lighting?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Could do, I suppose. But I'll have to find the perfect showcase for it because I'm picky. :P Screenshots can't really capture RealAim or Drunk Doom, so I guess I won't bother there. This is entirely off-topic, but Droplets really does need a new demo video... maybe I should upload a YouTubes... I've never done that before it's so scary :O
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

If you don't have a Youtube account/channel and don't want to make one, host the file somewhere like mediafire and I can upload it on mine for you ;)

Alternatively I can record and edit new video demos if you like, just let me know what you'd like to see.

8-)
Josh771

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - Super Ultimate Realism v1.0!

Post by Josh771 »

Just uploaded a new mutator, something in the same vein as Drunk Doom. :D You've been warned.

It's called "Super Ultimate Realism v1.0" and, boy, is that name... absolutely terrible.

Ooh, in fact, you should use it with Drunk Doom. That might truly enhance the immersion of it all. Truly surreal.

In case you can't immediately detect the subtle changes in the mutator, there is a keybind for "Force Realism" that should help make apparent what the mutator changes. Make sure to use it near a monster that hasn't detected you for maximum demonstrative powers. ;)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It really enhanced my emurshun to unprecedented levels. I doubt I'd be able to play Doom anymore without it on autoload.
Spoiler:
Deii

Post by Deii »

This almost cost me my lunch thanks to motion sickness. I felt like I was drunk.

Never change.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

SidDoyle wrote:SidDoyle's Mutator Thread
Super Ultimate Realism v1.0superUltRealism_1.0.pk3
The pinnacle of modular realism enhancment mutators; just add this to almost any ZDoom mod or game to bring the experience to the next level! :lol:
What precisely do this do?
Deii

Post by Deii »

Play it with sound on, I think you'll get it soon. It took me a while to figure out exactly what was happening, but when I did it was worth a chuckle or two.
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

What about the Quake strafe tilt and Skyrim/Quake III walk tilt mods?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

VriskaSerket wrote:What about the Quake strafe tilt and Skyrim/Quake III walk tilt mods?
I didn't make those; this thread has been populated only with mods I authored myself. However, I might consider adding some kind of section for gameplay mutators I didn't write but wished I had! :P

You should be able to find those on the forums here easily enough by using the search function and trying "qtilt" and "movetilt" as keywords. ;)

@Big C
I know it's quite overdue, but I quickly took some screenshots of the new Dark Doom stuff on E1M1 and stuck them on the OP. Should give you a rough idea of how things look with it on. I've thought about making the Subdued Lights light definitions cover twice again as much area and halving their brightness once more. I dunno; then I run the risk of lights coming from behind walls. It would be fantastic if dynamic lights could have a flag for shadowcasting! Heheh.
Josh771

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - New skies for Dark Doom!

Post by Josh771 »

Just uploaded new darkened skies for Dark Doom; should be compatible with both Doom I & II. Now you won't have a daylit sky when it's pitch black outside. :P They're built into Dark Doom; just grab whichever .pk3's you use and have fun!
Someone64

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - New skies for Dark Doom!

Post by Someone64 »

Would be better if the skies were separate since maybe some wads already have fittingly dark skies and you wouldn't want to replace them.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”