Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13458
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Tormentor667 »

I would pay for it if it wasn't free...
User avatar
ravage
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by ravage »

Hisymak wrote:I won't repeat that your progress looks amazing as always.
In the last release you started a bit with episode 3 levels. Any progress and possibly screens from these?

I haven't really started E3 yet. But I will soon.

Tormentor667 wrote:I would pay for it if it wasn't free...

I believe you've said this quite a few times. You know as well as anyone else I couldn't make money on this even if I wanted too.
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16769
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Discord: DiscussJ#3128
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Captain J »

besides, almost of doom mods except the ones only made to be utterly rip us off are always for free after all! just be thankful for this mod's here, for free as well!
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13458
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Tormentor667 »

...but maybe donating a few bucks might work ;)
User avatar
ravage
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by ravage »

Tormentor667 wrote:...but maybe donating a few bucks might work ;)

I have no plans whatsoever to set up donations. This is merely a hobby of mine, and I don't feel comfortable monetizing my hobby. Go to the minecraft forums if you want that sort of thing. :P
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13458
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sorry, I didnt want to Sound like an idiot, I am just so damn impressed by this and words simply don't feel like being enough praise
User avatar
Shadow Hog
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: Hocus Doom

Post by Shadow Hog »

Belated, since I only just noticed the March updates last night, but:

wildweasel wrote:Oh my god, how many DOS shareware games with wizards in them can we pile into this already-huge project?

(Mystic Towers? Realms of Chaos? Um...)

Maybe something from one of Moonlite Software's earlier games, Clyde's Adventure. Roughly the same tile-based movement as Hocus Pocus, though it has absolutely no combat, and instead a higher focus on puzzling out how to grab everything in a stage before the fairly strict time limit ran out.
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13458
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Damn, this is so obvious :D
User avatar
ravage
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Re: Hocus Doom

Post by ravage »

Shadow Hog wrote:Belated, since I only just noticed the March updates last night, but:

wildweasel wrote:Oh my god, how many DOS shareware games with wizards in them can we pile into this already-huge project?

(Mystic Towers? Realms of Chaos? Um...)

Maybe something from one of Moonlite Software's earlier games, Clyde's Adventure. Roughly the same tile-based movement as Hocus Pocus, though it has absolutely no combat, and instead a higher focus on puzzling out how to grab everything in a stage before the fairly strict time limit ran out.

While it might be neat for historic purposes, there's really not much there for me to work with. Also some of those sounds really hurt my ears. Still neat though.
User avatar
ravage
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by ravage »

Image
Image

Current playable demo for 11-28-2016
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocusdoom-11-28-2016.pk3
Mp3 versions of music
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/hocus_mp3.pk3

changelog for - 11-28-2016
  • fix all instances of A_SpawnItem and replaced them with A_SpawnItemEx. They were broken in later versions of gzdoom BECAUSE ZDOOM
  • fixed minor graphical bug with one of the exit strings. Was the wrong color
  • completed map18
  • completed map19
  • more work to particle options (add leaf spawner too)
  • reworked end of episode intermission screens. Should be bugfree.
  • changed inconsistent method for damage for spikes. now uses terrain instead of A_explode
  • added extra frame & sprites for eskimo attacks. Not sure if they were unused in the original game or I missed ripping them. Thanks to Hisymak for their work on a Hocus Pocus editor.
  • with lava becoming much more dangerous to touch, I had to add some extra pathways in some levels to get out of big pools of lava without taking too much damage.
  • removed +SOLID from pillows in the egyptian levels.
  • changed the hudwrap width for wizardtalk from 200 to 250. Gives a little more room for when he feels like being wordy.
  • added several new enemies: skeleton, ghost, another floater (from unused graphics, thanks to Hisymak)
  • added +NOGRAVITY to keys. Now I can place them anywhere!
  • gave the flamejets a damagetype. Monsters could kill themselves on them.
  • made the flamejets less intensive. Did every projectile really need a light?
  • added +DONTSPLASH to several particle effects. They were getting on my nerves.
  • crystal ball pickup sound should not be overridden by anything anymore (hopefully)
  • made the secret platforms in map10 a little more visible.
  • included Hisymak's GENMIDI. Sounds pretty close to the original. I'll still keep the mp3s around though.
Hisymak
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:52 am

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Hisymak »

Oh my... It's Christmas for me today! Cannot wait to see my favourite forest-themed levels finished. Thanks for your amazing effort.
As I understand, all episode 2 is now complete? This is really astonishing achievement. Earlier I thought you would end up just with one episode, but now there are twice as much colourful and well-made levels to play.

I can also see that my sprite extraction tool for Hocus Pocus helped you. I'm happy for that. I'm interested to see how you utilized the unused monster graphics.
And I also tried to do some tweaks to Hocus Pocus GENMIDI, maybe it sounds a bit better, not sure. Unfortunately I had no luck with the percussion instruments.
User avatar
Zero X. Diamond
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I don't wanna get off-topic, but unused monsters in Hocus Pocus? That's news to me. Any chance you could post 'em?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm at work so I can't yet test the new version, but I just wanted to say that were it not for the secret level based off a different game by a different company (and the hands heavily edited from Hexen, if that's still the case), this is seriously good enough to snag an official license and get sold.
User avatar
Zen3001
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:17 am
Discord: #0629
Location: some northern german shithole

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Zen3001 »

well the projectiles are kinda small
User avatar
ravage
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by ravage »

Hisymak wrote:Oh my... It's Christmas for me today! Cannot wait to see my favourite forest-themed levels finished. Thanks for your amazing effort.
As I understand, all episode 2 is now complete? This is really astonishing achievement. Earlier I thought you would end up just with one episode, but now there are twice as much colourful and well-made levels to play.

I can also see that my sprite extraction tool for Hocus Pocus helped you. I'm happy for that. I'm interested to see how you utilized the unused monster graphics.
And I also tried to do some tweaks to Hocus Pocus GENMIDI, maybe it sounds a bit better, not sure. Unfortunately I had no luck with the percussion instruments.

Not quite. I still have to make the actual secret level for E2, and finish map19. The current map20 is actually the very first level I made for this back in 2009. I will probably still reuse parts of it but that level will be replaced.

Zero X. Diamond wrote:I don't wanna get off-topic, but unused monsters in Hocus Pocus? That's news to me. Any chance you could post 'em?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm at work so I can't yet test the new version, but I just wanted to say that were it not for the secret level based off a different game by a different company (and the hands heavily edited from Hexen, if that's still the case), this is seriously good enough to snag an official license and get sold.


There's at least two unused sets that I found at least. One is a two-headded flying serpent, and the other is this sort of flying fire fish. It looks drastically different from the others' style so I may not be using that one.
Gez
 
 
Posts: 17632
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Gez »

ravage wrote:It looks drastically different from the others' style so I may not be using that one.

Perhaps for a secret level.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”