D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Overlord

Re: D4D_HF - High Frequency v01 [Add-On]

Post by Overlord »

9/11 best addon
Valherran

Re: D4D_HF - High Frequency v01 [Add-On]

Post by Valherran »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, an ammo cap upgrade to go alongside the armor/health ones would be a nice addition.
Grenade Upgrades would be nice too. I would also recommend putting some token requirements for some existing upgrades so you can make use of them.
shotfan

Re: [Add-On] D4DHF v0.1 - Gore nest shenanigans (p2)

Post by shotfan »

Valherran wrote: Grenade Upgrades would be nice too.
The simple 'cooldown time reduction' upgrade comes to mind. The Grenades themselves are probably too varied to have any other global upgrade.

On the other note: is the Chainsaw planned to get anything? It is currently the only weapon without upgrades. I was thinking about an upgrade that reduces the Gas spent on altfire-induced kills by 1, but cannot reduce it below 1.

EDIT: Typos, as usual
Last edited by shotfan on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Spoiler:
Modular ammo upgrades are about 70% done. I still need to get it to handle backpacks properly and finish all the different menus, but it works so far. Kinky stuff.
You can get up to 10 ranks for each ammo type, and each rank costs 1 token and 1000 credits. Each rank increases capacity by 20, 4, 1, 10 for bullets, shells, rockets, cells respectively.
That way you get to specialize further in your favorite weapon type, and it's still feasible to get early in slaughter-type wads when you're swimming in credits and tokens are your limiting factor for these upgrades.
So that's a total of 40 tokens to pour in if you want all your ammo caps to be maxed out completely at 550, 115, 60, and 400.
Valherran wrote: would also recommend putting some token requirements for some existing upgrades so you can make use of them.
Nah, I think all the current upgrades are fine as they are. I believe I've found a good use for tokens for now. I might introduce a few more cheap modular upgrades for other things like movement speed later.
shotfan wrote:The simple 'cooldown time reduction' upgrade comes to mind
There's actually already an upgrade implemented in the next version that does exactly that. It was very simple to make too. :)
shotfan wrote:is the Chainsaw pllaned to get anything? I was thinking about an upgrade that reduces the Gas spent on altfire-induced kills by 1, but cannot reduce it below 1.
That's a nice idea and it looks like it's do-able, I'll look into that.

Btw, is anyone playing with the wall jump feature? Tell me your thoughts if you tried it. I'd like to tweak it a little or maybe even modify if with upgrades at some point.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Maybe some basic upgrades like damage reduction, movement speed, damage buffs, etc would be another good outlet for tokens?
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

On the topic of walljumping: it is nice to have, as it makes your movement feel more natural. However, it is not too far/high-reaching to make a big difference.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Maybe some basic upgrades like damage reduction, movement speed, damage buffs, etc would be another good outlet for tokens?
I want to avoid doing upgrades like these. Anything that just makes the player's life easier without affecting game mechanics or introducing some new gameplay strategy isn't very fun (or noticeable).

Pushing for another release this Sunday. Changelog so far:

Code: Select all

// =======================================
# v02 est[20/11/16]
@ Option: New monster spawns were made optional. You can now toggle monster type between "Original Doom", "D4D" or "D4DHF" in the options menu.
@ Option: Smash-able lamps were made optional. This is useful to turn off in maps that have graphic replacements for the lamps.
@ Menu: D4DHF specific options are in their own menu category now.
@ Menu: Re-ordered the upgrade menu a little. Preator weapon upgrades are listed separately from regular upgrades, and suit abilities have their own category.
@ Feature: Gore Nests added.
@ Monster: Unwilling added
@ Visual: Made a new HUD animation for interacting with Elite Guards
@ Visual: Nightvision fadein/out reworked a little to look nicer and at the same time be a little disorienting
@ Visual: Added HUD indicators for berserk and nighvision
@ Upgrade: Modular ammo reserve upgrades added for Bullet, Shell, Rocket, and Cell ammo.
@ Upgrade: Equipment Reconstructor upgrade added.
@ Upgrade: Holo Sustain upgraded added.
@ Upgrade: Titanium Blades upgrade added for the Chainsaw
@ Upgrade: Attachment Speedloader upgrade added for the Combat Shotgun.
@ Upgrade: Advanced Servos upgrade added for the Gauss Cannon.
@ Misc: Credit reward for elite guards lowered to 250
@ Bugfix: Fixed the simultaneous interaction issue with Elite Guards
@ Bugfix: Updated all HF upgrades for save and death exit protection like native D4D upgrades.
@ Bugfix: Chainsaw bloodstains now work correctly with Hell Bishop (green) and Gorger (blue).
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Megaherz wrote:
I want to avoid doing upgrades like these. Anything that just makes the player's life easier without affecting game mechanics or introducing some new gameplay strategy isn't very fun (or noticeable).
A small damage reduction upgrade would be good actually considering how squishy Doomguy is, and how many monsters there are in some maps. I can suggest this:

Prerequisite: All Health, Armor, and Protection Upgrades must be purchased, does not stack with Protection upgrades.

Level 1 - 2.5% Reduced Damage - 10000 Credits + Token
Level 2 - 5% Reduced Damage - 20000 Credits + Token
Level 3 - 10% Reduced Damage - 40000 Credits + Token
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I would make the health and armour items more valuable at least: one upgrade that makes all types of medkits (Bonus, Small and Big) heal more, another one that makes Armour Shards give more armour. They would need you to have their three respective health/armour limit upgrades from base D4D. And to further give you more potential durability: another two upgrades that give an ability to stack health or armour above 200 with Health Bonuses or Shards, and require everything aforementioned. (I proposed these ones earlier in the main D4D thread, but no response there).
VICE

Re: [Add-On] D4DHF v02 - Nest Burglar Edition

Post by VICE »

v02 is up, check the main post.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

shotfan wrote:I would make the health and armour items more valuable at least: one upgrade that makes all types of medkits (Bonus, Small and Big) heal more, another one that makes Armour Shards give more armour. They would need you to have their three respective health/armour limit upgrades from base D4D. And to further give you more potential durability: another two upgrades that give an ability to stack health or armour above 200 with Health Bonuses or Shards, and require everything aforementioned. (I proposed these ones earlier in the main D4D thread, but no response there).
One last one from me: An upgrade that allows Armor/Health Bonuses to exceed the 200 limit. The Bonuses become nearly useless when you have all of the Health and Armor upgrades.
DanTheHedgefox

Re: D4DHF v02 - Nest Burglar Edition [Add-On]

Post by DanTheHedgefox »

Not all of the sprites appear in software mode.
mutator

Post by mutator »

does monsters spawn again in nightmare settings in d4d?
mutator

Post by mutator »

credit reward lowered to 250? that's bad :( I liked the 500 one, even that was low to me honestly
VICE

Post by VICE »

Nightmare difficulty in D4D doesn't have respawning monsters. It's basically equivalent to Doom2's classic Ultra Violence, only with more aggressive monsters and reduced pickup factors.

As for the credit bonus, eh, I felt like 250 is enough for essentially just pausing for a few seconds to pick something up. Keep in mind that killing a Baron for example only gives you 100 credits at the base level. I'll get the bonuses to work with the credit boost upgrades for the next version, though. It's straightforward to do but boring so I didn't press it for v02. :P
DanTheHedgefox wrote:Not all of the sprites appear in software mode.
Can you elaborate on this? What sprites don't appear?
I don't really know what's necessary for software mode support, but if it's something like image format I could probably make an alternative pk3 that runs in software mode.

If anyone finds the new weapon, make sure to try out the different upgrades and tell me your thoughts. The reticle for the altfire actually changes a little as you upgrade the weapon. :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”