[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
isaacpop23

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge

Post by isaacpop23 »

Here's a quick update of my map with the fixes that leodoom85 mentioned.
Also, thanks for telling me how to fix those textures, I could not figure that out for the life of me and it was bothering me.
Attachments
20Monsters.wad
(205.52 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

No problem, maybe I can post a list of possible minor touches or bugs for the maps, like HOMs.
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

Not sure if I had asked this, but are 3D floors allowed in these maps? If so, does a ZDooM friendly version have to be released along side with it?

EDIT: Nevermind. It uses the Doom 2 in Hexen formula, so I have a feeling it's fine.
Last edited by SoulCircle on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Updated version of my map, I changed the music to Digital Onslaught by Dan Terminus, it's free on BandCamp. I didn't also change the software version because I don't want to have to update two of the same map. GZDoom or bust for mine I'm afraid.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/01q1z4leb ... low_v2.zip
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

User: SoulCircle
Map Name: The Abandoned Mine shaft
Music: Default Map01, the person who compiles the PK3 may change it.
Slot:Anywhere from 10-20, minus slot 15
Format: DooM 2 Hexen Format
Extra notes: This map may still have oversights, please tell me if you find any, the story is ingame. EDIT: Jumping is encouraged, crouching is needed in the end.
Attachments
The Mineshaft (20 monster challenge).wad
My WAD
(90.31 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
BillGuy

Post by BillGuy »

This changed courses quickly. I like the direction it's taking, though.

My map is almost done. Just detailing and play testing now. Based on its theme it probably belongs somewhere near the beginning. I'll snag Map 12 unless it was already called for. I'm flexible on what slot I get.

Not confirming now, but since the deadline was moved back and we're going the mile, I'll start another map and see if I can pull it off in time. I'll keep you posted.

Also, I'm happy to help package the final product or bug test any maps.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

SoulCircle wrote:Not sure if I had asked this, but are 3D floors allowed in these maps? If so, does a ZDooM friendly version have to be released along side with it?
If you don't use sloped 3D floors, ZDoom won't have any problems.... which are only visual problems.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

BillGuy wrote: Also, I'm happy to help package the final product or bug test any maps.
Same goes for me, Lud. Although... i am doing WADs for years, but never made a pk3.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

3D floors are ok, slopes are ok, 3D slopes are not ok in ZDoom. It can't render them. I'd try to avoid OpenGL-specific details.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@SoulCircle on ZDoom friendly version: ZDoom is the main port we're developing here. GZDoom users aren't as many, so I'd use ZDoom instead.

@Voltcom9: Added to the list.

@BillGuy: Voltcom9 took Map12, so I signed you up for Map 13, the closest free thing.

@BillGuy & UnTrustable: I need testers for the maps. I'll compile them myself, but I can't nitpick all of them. Will send a map pack when I've caught them all. You'll be testing mostly issues with map progress, in case I miss something and things don't happen as intended.

@Nevander: I'm only using the SR-friendly version cause I reckon most would play the pack in ZDoom. But I guess I'll include the GZDoom version if it's more updated than the other.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Lud wrote:@Nevander: I'm only using the SR-friendly version cause I reckon most would play the pack in ZDoom. But I guess I'll include the GZDoom version if it's more updated than the other.
I wish there was a way to do conditional lump loading depending on if an OpenGL renderer is in use. I suppose I can update the software one later, and maybe with the release there could be a patch wad included that you can load after the main WAD that replaces the SR version with the fancy GZDoom version, same goes for anyone else who submits maps with GZDoom specific features. I've seen it done before with mods on idgames, including a GL patch wad to load after if you want.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I thought the original idea was to prove that a beginner could get great results from the most basic tools and resources. Although I suppose if it doesn't get in the way and looks good...
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

It still kinda is. Of course, I doubt ztktx would ever start making quality maps, but it doesn't hurt to try.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Slot 29.
When I finish I'll post the map with the rest of the info.
Oh boy, this gonna be interesting :twisted:
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

leodoom85 wrote:The mod used is HXRTC Project 4.5v, so it can make it easier or harder. The difficulty that I chose is the equivalent to Very Hard.
No offense, but seeing as this mod seemingly adds about a hundred monster variants as well as a heap of weapons, items and extra mechanics, I think it goes against the simplicity-centric nature of the project. Promotional material for this project, i.e. stuff that will be featured in the OP as you're intending, should use Vanilla weapons and monsters, as the OP states the maps are meant to.

Return to “Levels”