D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VICE

D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Post by VICE »

Oh noes!

I always wanted to start a thread with "Oh noes!". 8-)

Anyways...

This little baby is called the High Frequency add-on for D4D. (Yeah, it's a mouthful. Call it HF for short.)
It adds new features, monsters, options, and upgrades to D4D, along with various visual and gameplay tweaks. I'm pretty much just adding cool stuff as I go along. I want to keep the general D4D stylings and aesthetic, but give it my own twist.
That's pretty much it for introductions, have a look at the feature list and the screenshots to see what you're really getting yourselves into with this, and enjoy the f**k out of it like I did making it.

(Also, if you're a bit confused by all the new stuff, I added a quick help section and a primer for the new weapons that you can access in the options menu, so have a look there if you don't know what something is.)

OMFG!:
This mod is designed to work with D4D 2.0.3 running on GZDoom stable 2.2.0
I'm not going to fix bugs with other versions of GZDoom because D4D itself currently isn't even designed to work with other versions of GZDoom.
If you aren't running this on 2.2.0, any bug you encounter is likely your own problem, pal. Especially if I can't even replicate it on my end in the first place.
Peace.

>> Download v0.3a <<

Mod Contents:

Gameplay mechanics, features and options:
Spoiler:
New Monsters:
Spoiler:
Screenies (big AF):
Spoiler:
ChangeLog v0.3:
Spoiler:
Known Issues and bugs:
Please report any issues specific to D4D_HF you may encounter, be they bugs or general visual/gameplay issues.
As of v0.3:
@ If the player manages to exit the level while playing the elite guard animation, their weapons will glitch out.
- Semi-fixed: Hard to do now and isn't possible in 99.99999% of maps, so it's cool.
@ Elite guards and gore nests can be interacted with from any z-distance.
Credits:
I made sure to write down my sources, but I'm a messy guy and it's possible that I forgot someone.
If you recognize your (or someone else's) work here and it's uncredited, please let me know.
Spoiler:
This list also exists as a text lump within the file.

Have some gameplay footage yo:

Last edited by VICE on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 39 times in total.
shotfan

Re: D4D_HF - High Frequency [Add-On]

Post by shotfan »

Sounds very interesting. Will have to try it out in some time. Meanwhile, I have two questions:
- What does Light Amplification Visor do now? The nightvision upgrade would make it obsolete.
- How difficult it is to add custom upgrades? I have some ideas of my own, and I would want to know if I could realistically mod them in myself.
VICE

Post by VICE »

shotfan wrote:- What does Light Amplification Visor do now? The nightvision upgrade would make it obsolete.
For now it still does the same thing. It takes a while to get and it's optional, so there's still a use for the item if the player doesn't have the upgrade.
It's good that you brought this up, though, made me realize I can make the visor item spawn something else instead in case the player already has the upgrade. I'll figure out something appropriate for the next version.

It's probably going to be a monster that you can only see with NV. :twisted:
shotfan wrote:- How difficult it is to add custom upgrades? I have some ideas of my own, and I would want to know if I could realistically mod them in myself.
The menu system has some kinks. There's some LANGUAGE, MENUDEF and CVARINFO manipulation. I also ended up doing some of the checks and item giving through ACS.
It took me a few hours to figure it out. My job was probably made harder by the fact that I wanted my upgrades to require something other than credits and have pre-requisites though (so more menus and checks were needed).
Still, after I made one upgrade, the others were pretty easy. You just find yourself jumping around between lumps a lot and copy-pasting parameters.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Megaherz wrote:
shotfan wrote:- What does Light Amplification Visor do now? The nightvision upgrade would make it obsolete.
For now it still does the same thing. It takes a while to get and it's optional, so there's still a use for the item if the player doesn't have the upgrade.
It's good that you brought this up, though, made me realize I can make the visor item spawn something else instead in case the player already has the upgrade. I'll figure out something appropriate for the next version.

It's probably going to be a monster that you can only see with NV. :twisted:
I am eager to see with you will came up with!
Megaherz wrote:
shotfan wrote:- How difficult it is to add custom upgrades? I have some ideas of my own, and I would want to know if I could realistically mod them in myself.
The menu system has some kinks. There's some LANGUAGE, MENUDEF and CVARINFO manipulation. I also ended up doing some of the checks and item giving through ACS.
It took me a few hours to figure it out. My job was probably made harder by the fact that I wanted my upgrades to require something other than credits and have pre-requisites though (so more menus and checks were needed).
Still, after I made one upgrade, the others were pretty easy. You just find yourself jumping around between lumps a lot and copy-pasting parameters.
I see. Then it will take a good while before I manage to do anything myself with upgrades. Thanks.
mutator

Post by mutator »

hey it really looks awesome man! I always wanted someone to make something like this for doom4 mod! can you also add gorenests please? they would really be beast addition for extra credits
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

More upgrades for the Pistol! Now I can feel like less of an idiot for using it way too much!

Though it seems like there are too many Elite Guards from what you describe. If up to three Elite Guards spawn on a level, and there are three upgrades that require them (each taking only one), even with more upgrades being added wouldn't you be swimming in tokens by level 10 of a wad? Also what are their parameters for spawning, do they replace something or are they randomly scattered through maps?
mutator

Post by mutator »

can you also make a system where you can turn tokens into credits? for example if you used tokens to maximum but keep receiving more it would be great idea to benefit tokens as extra credits.. maybe each token grants you 1000 credits!
VICE

Post by VICE »

isaacpop23 wrote:Though it seems like there are too many Elite Guards from what you describe. If up to three Elite Guards spawn on a level, and there are three upgrades that require them (each taking only one), even with more upgrades being added wouldn't you be swimming in tokens by level 10 of a wad? Also what are their parameters for spawning, do they replace something or are they randomly scattered through maps?
There's no guarantee you'll actually find them even if they spawn - some of them may end up in secret areas.
They don't replace anything, but they may spawn next to things like keycards, or certain powerups. I won't reveal the exact mechanics, but you'll get a pretty good idea of where they spawn once you play for a bit. Especially if you play some maps you already know well.

And yeah, right now since there are only 3 upgrades, you'll probably be swimming in these tokens at some point (right now you can hold 99 of them - a few more than theoretically possible for most megawads). I'll see about balancing it once more upgrades are introduced, possibly make some cost more than one token, or find another use for them. We'll see.
mutator wrote:hey it really looks awesome man! I always wanted someone to make something like this for doom4 mod! can you also add gorenests please? they would really be beast addition for extra credits
I plan to look into gore-nests at some point. I want to make them into a level mechanic like I did with the guards.
mutator

Post by mutator »

Mega are you planning to do what I told you? turning tokens into credits instead if you reached to max of upgrades that require tokens, after you get all token required upgrades they will just appear in the screen but will be useless so converting them into cash instead would be bless of this addon
VICE

Post by VICE »

I want to see if there's something more interesting I can do with them first. Just giving the player evem more credits feels kinda boring.
mutator

Post by mutator »

Megaherz wrote:I want to see if there's something more interesting I can do with them first. Just giving the player evem more credits feels kinda boring.
Yeah I understand what you saying then how about make an upgrade that allows you to use those extra tokens as ammo capacity upgrade? like you can use those tokens to grant you %1 more ammo capacity
mutator

Post by mutator »

or 5% more credit upgrade for each token you can upgrade the credit upgrade
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Ammo capacity upgrades would be a welcome addition, given how much ammo enemies drop in D4D.
mutator

Post by mutator »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Ammo capacity upgrades would be a welcome addition, given how much ammo enemies drop in D4D.
So you liked the idea John? :D
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

There is a way if you can add some things of the monsters unnoficial addon like the new skin of the revenant, barrels?
Btw, I think the new mancubi needs more green plasma instead of the red things..

Return to “Gameplay Mods”