I always wanted to start a thread with "Oh noes!".
This little baby is called the High Frequency add-on for D4D. (Yeah, it's a mouthful. Call it HF for short.)
It adds new features, monsters, options, and upgrades to D4D, along with various visual and gameplay tweaks. I'm pretty much just adding cool stuff as I go along. I want to keep the general D4D stylings and aesthetic, but give it my own twist.
That's pretty much it for introductions, have a look at the feature list and the screenshots to see what you're really getting yourselves into with this, and enjoy the f**k out of it like I did making it.
(Also, if you're a bit confused by all the new stuff, I added a quick help section and a primer for the new weapons that you can access in the options menu, so have a look there if you don't know what something is.)
This mod is designed to work with D4D 2.0.3 running on GZDoom stable 2.2.0
I'm not going to fix bugs with other versions of GZDoom because D4D itself currently isn't even designed to work with other versions of GZDoom.
If you aren't running this on 2.2.0, any bug you encounter is likely your own problem, pal. Especially if I can't even replicate it on my end in the first place.
>> Download v0.3a <<
Gameplay mechanics, features and options:
- A more acrobatic alternative to D4D's Double Jump. You may now perform jumps against walls to dodge around and get to some hard to reach places. Fits very nicely with Ledge Grabbing for that parkour/freerunning feeling. It has mostly the same mobility as Double Jump, but a lot more style.
- Walljump and Double Jump are mutually exclusive. Disable Double Jumping if you wish to enable this feature.
- If you are playing with Walljump, the "Triple Jump" mobility upgrade is replaced with a Dash ability - double tap a direction key to dash. Works in mid-air too,
- These weapons appear on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare difficulty only, and are quite rare.
- Don't expect to run into these in the usual places you find weapons.
- Each comes with a unique set of upgrades and abilities.
- Deadshot and Tyrant use carrion as ammo, so you will not discover them if you're playing with carrion drops disabled.
- These weapons can be disabled completely from the HF options menu.
New Upgrades and Abilities
I'm not even going to count them anymore. Just know that there are a whole bunch of them. They include stuff like:
- New suit abilities: Night Vision and Cloak. (You'll need to bind new keys for these abilities in the options menu). The Cloak ability integrates with the Blursphere pickup in a unique way.
- New demonic abilities (only 2 for now).
- Unique upgrades for the Nightmare weapons
- Additional upgrades for some of the D4D weapons
- Grenade upgrades
- Modular ammo capacity upgrades
Elite Guards, Praetor Tokens
- Inspired by their counterpart in 2016 DOOM, elite guards may appear randomly in certain places in a map.
- If you have yet to interact with them, they will be highlighted in blue with a special red hologram on the floor beneath them.
- Interact with them ('use' key) to collect their Praetor Token and earn some extra credits. Praetor tokens are needed for some of the advanced upgrades introduced in this mod.
- Each map you enter may contain up to 3 of these guards at a time. If your map contains any guards to be found, you will see a HUD indicator, one per guard, below your kill quote indicator. Like the kills indicator, these are gray at first and turn golden as you find the guards.
- Gore Nests will appear during your campaign, accompanied by their unwilling zombie worshipers. Some of them will even hold the skull keys you need to progress!
- Interact with them ('use' key) to destroy the nest, earning credits and unleashing more demons.
- If they happen to hold an item that you need, you will have to destroy them to recover the item.
- Collect demonic artifacts to unlock upgrades for demonic weaponry and abilities.
HUD Helmet Overlay
- Adds a neat helmet overlay to your hud. You may toggle this feature on/off in the HF Options menu.
- Shoot down those lamp decorations for some nifty fireworks and extra cell ammo.
- Now that's what I call meaningful environmental interaction, mate.
- Optional feature, toggle it in the HF options menu.
- Carrion Master Switch: This allows you to turn off carrion drops and consequently, carrion-related weapons from appearing in your
- Monster Weapon Drops: This allows you to disable monsters from dropping their weapons
- Nightmare Grenades: In D4D, playing a game of Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare starts you off with all three grenades in your inventory. You may now toggle this parameter between "All" to preserve this behavior, "Off" to disable it completely, or "Frag" if you want to start with just the frag grenades in NM.
- Doll Uses: This option lets you set doll uses to 1. (I felt that 3 was way too much).
- Spawn SSG in Doom1 - Gives a small chance for placed shotguns to be replaced with SSG. Only works in Doom 1 maps - this option has absolutely no effect in Doom 2.
Pickup Glows, different voxels, new Doll Icon, Hud Indicator for berserk.
D4D Tech Mancubus visual swap, Arachnotron red plasma
- D4D tech (poison) mancubi have a new sprite set. Classic mancubi retain their original appearance.
- Arachnotron plasma is red now, 'nuff said.
- Grenades will now only sometimes spawn next to backpacks, and they will spawn with some random velocity so that they're close, but don't overlap all the time with the backpack itself.
- Backpacks will sometimes spawn some armor shards instead if you've found all of the grenades.
- Revenant chill-pill: Revenants will no longer aggro other monsters with their targeting lasers, and will no longer infight with other revenants.
- Barons and HellKnights will no longer infight, as they are now members of the same species.
Demon Corpse decoration fix
- Demon corpses placed by the mapper in their level will now display correctly based on your monster type setting. That means that if you're playing with D4D type monsters, you will only see D4D type corpses during gameplay.
Spoiler:Screenies (big AF):
New monster spawns are optional. You can now toggle monster types between "Original Doom", "D4D" or "D4DHF" in the options menu. In D4DHF mode, you will encounter the new monsters, some extra "fodder" type enemies, and more gore nests.
Also, HF's spawning mechanics can identify when you're playing Doom1, and will adjust spawn rates of gore nests and certain monsters appropriately.
All of the new monsters support staggers, stuns and chainsaw kills, and drop credits like the native D4D monsters. Their behavior and attacks have also been made to match the style of D4D.
D4D Archviles also have summoning access to the new monsters when applicable.
Spoiler:Known Issues and bugs:
# v0.3a [04/12/16] "For real this time"
@ Option: Added an option to spawn SSG in Doom1. (Enable from the options menu, gives a small chance for placed shotguns to be replaced with SSG. Only works in Doom 1 maps - this option has absolutely no effect in Doom 2)
@ Weapon: Repeater has been given a select fire mechanism. Press mod key to toggle between burst and single round fire.
@ Upgrade: Suppressed Muzzle upgrade added for the Vortex Rifle
@ Bugfix: Multijump style settings now update in real time and work as intended.
@ Bugfix: Fixed carrion pickup behaviour when the player had both the Megadeath upgrade and the carrion cannon.
@ Bugfix: Monsters will now drop carrion even if you have MP weapons disabled, as long as you have a carrion-using weapon.
# v0.3 [30/11/16] "Cloak and Dagger"
@ Option: Added a menu option to set Doomguy doll uses to 1 per doll (personal preference of mine).
@ Feature: WallJump and Double Jump have been made mutually exclusive. You will not be able to walljump if double jump is enabled.
@ Feature: Following that change, the Triple Jump update was modified to grant you a Dash ability if you're playing with WallJump. Double tap a direction key to dash.
@ Feature: Added the Demonic artifact item. Demonic weapons and ability upgrades will require these (so far Deadshot, Tyrant, Syphon Grenade and two new abilities).
@ Feature: Added artifact pedestals to the spawn rotation. Gore nests will sometimes have artifacts in them too.
@ Weapon: Tyrant! Cleave demons with impunity... Play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare difficulty to find this weapon.
@ Weapon: Enforcer missiles were made faster and 50% less damaging to the player.
@ Weapon: Enforcer altifre ammo cost increased to 2, and reduced the amount of pellets slightly. Still works well as a boss-buster.
@ Equipment: Caustic Grenade! Time to melt some faces. Play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare difficulty to find this new equipment.
@ Equipment: Caustic grenades create an extremely volatile firestorm when their clouds ignite nukeage barrels.
@ Upgrade: Argent Wave ability for the Tyrant. Unlocks the Tyran'ts alt-fire and allows it to absorb corpses for carrion.
@ Upgrade: Empowered Wave ability for the Tyrant. Increases the size and strength of Tyrant's altfire.
@ Upgrade: Enslave Spirit ability for the Tyrant. Killing enemies with Tyrant's altfire conjures spirit knights that fight for you for a short while.
@ Upgrade: Death Visage ability for the Tyrant. Primary attacks have 5% chance to stun per rank. Max rank is 3.
@ Upgrade: Megadeath ability added. Killing is my business, and business is good - Recieve extra credits for collecting excessive amounts of carrion.
@ Upgrade: Blood Fueled ability added. Move faster for a few seconds after performing a Glory Kill.
@ Upgrade: Cloak! Fade into invisibility. Cloak lasts for a short time and takes a long time to recharge. You can turn it off early to reduce recharge time.
@ Upgrade: Accelerating Barrel upgrade added for the plasma rifle.
@ Upgrade: Vile Dose upgrade added for the Caustic Grenade (increase AOE)
@ Upgrade: Necrophage upgrade added for the Syphon Grenade (converts corpses into extra health)
@ Item: Collecting a the blur sphere when you have the cloak upgrade allows you to store it and activate it later, overriding your suit's cloak once. Collecting additional blur spheres awards you with credits.
@ Item: Light Amp Goggles have been given a different voxel.
@ Item: Once you've purchased the Nightvision upgrade, collecting light amp goggles will award you with extra credits instead of their usual effect.
@ Visual: Added the scanline effect to the standard light amp goggles powerup as well.
@ Visual: New Berserk indicator reminiscent of Doom4. Scrapped the Nightvision indicator since it wasn't necessary anyway.
@ Visual: Megadeath and Blood Fueled have unique HUD indicators when they are active. They appear above the ammo display.
@ Visual: Swapped the Praetor token icon and moved the item tally to the bottom left corner.
@ Visual fix: Made the key HUD indicators scale to the left properly in the fullscreen HUD.
@ Audio: Reworked gore nest sounds to be more interesting and natural.
@ Misc: Changed the Nightvision colormap to standard green (no longer highlights actors).
@ Misc: Added a small help / info section to the options menu for new players.
@ Misc: Added a primer for the new weapons to the options menu.
@ Misc: New upgrade menu category for grenades. Relevant existing upgrades moved there.
@ Misc: The Holo Sustain upgrade is now locked until you find the Holo Grenade item. This will apply to all other grenade-specific upgrades too.
@ Misc: Rebalanced some HF upgrade costs. Most of them were made cheaper.
@ Misc: Reduced the effective radius of armor and backpack pickups back to their vanilla sizes, so they aren't picked up through walls.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a bug that caused "spent" elite guards and gore nests to become usable again after saving and reloading the game.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a bug with elite guards not appearing despite being registered on the HUD.
@ Bugfix: Made elite guard spawns manually reset every new map via script (relied on actor definitions before), so that they work better in the DUMP series and similar hub-based megawads.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a bug with the Enforcer glitching out when rocket ammo is depleted. Balanced its select and deselect states too.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a typo that prevented elite guards from spawning near green armor.
@ Bugfix: Fixed the cost and description for the RL shrapnel upgrade.
@ Bugfix: Fixed some HUD wonkyness in the automap, particularly with certain images not displaying.
@ Bugfix: Prevented Hell Bishop from fighting with other hell nobility.
# v0.22c [23/11/16]
@ Monster: Got rid of the Mag Troop charge indicator visual. Moved the rail offset to be a bit more centered.
@ Misc: Reworked the spawns of gore nests and hell bishops when Doom 1 is loaded as an IWAD
@ Misc: Reworked gore nest and unwilling spawns to flow better.
@ Misc: Tech lamps now drop the regular cell pickups that fade quickly but are attracted to the player, rather than the lingering kind that stay put.
@ Misc: Optimized most PNG files in the mod, reducing file size and possibly improving performance for potato computers.
@ Bugfix: Removed the height check from nest and guard interactions until I can come up with a method that doesn't break maps.
@ Bugfix: Turning off Nightvision will also turn of the regular light amp goggles if they were active.
@ Bugfix: Fixed the invisible revenants spawning from gore nests in Doom1 (since D1 doesn't have sprites for them). Gore nests will spwan only revenant variants if D1 is loaded.
# v0.22b [22/11/16] "The War on Bugs"
@ Option: A new "Nightmare Secret Weapons" option allows you to disable the new Nightmare weapons introduced so far (Deadshot and Enforcer) from appearing in your game.
@ Weapon: Enforcer! The Elite Guards were packing some serious heat... Play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare difficulty to find this weapon.
@ Weapon: Deadshot can now absorb corpses like the Carrion Cannon (press 'mod' key to absorb).
@ Weapon: Deadshot ammo costs increased to balance it with the Carrion Cannon and account for corpse absorption.
@ Weapon: Improved offsets for the Deadshot
@ Monster: Heavy Revenant added.
@ Upgrade: 3 new upgrades for the Enforcer - Burst Fire, Shaped Charge and Impact Missiles
@ Upgrade: Cell Recycler upgrade added for the BFG.
@ Misc: Skull key nests will no longer spawn unwilling around them to avoid awkward spawns in places where keys are usually placed by mappers.
@ Bugfix: Added a height check to nest and guard interactions. Needs heavy testing to confirm the fix doesn't break anything, especially with skull key nests.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a major issue with modular ammo upgrades resetting to 1 after map exits.
@ Bugfix: Fixed the same issue with Deadshot "Strength In Numbers" ranks resetting to 1 after map exits.
@ Bugfix: Fixed the credit costs of Ammo Reserve, Nightvision, Equipment Rec. and Holo Sustain upgrades
@ Bugfix: Fixed a rare bug that made gore nests with items turn into regular gore nests if you tried interacting with them in very quick succession.
@ Bugfix: Made nightvision permanent until disabled (it used to turn off on its own after 2 minutes).
@ Bugfix: Fixed a minor bug that made the nightvision scanlines persist through map transitions.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a bunch of typos in menus, messages, cvars and scripts.
@ Bugfix: Fixed a typo that made Barons fight eachother...
# v0.2 [18/11/16] "Nest Burglar"
@ Option: New monster spawns were made optional. You can now toggle monster type between "Original Doom", "D4D" or "D4DHF" in the options menu.
@ Option: Added a new master switch for carrion drops. Turn it off if you wish to disable carrion ammo and related weapons.
@ Option: New tech lamps were made optional. This is useful to turn off in maps that have graphic replacements for the lamps.
@ Menu: D4DHF specific options are in their own menu category now.
@ Menu: Re-ordered the upgrade menu a little. Preator weapon upgrades are listed separately from regular upgrades, and suit abilities have their own category.
@ Feature: Gore Nests added.
@ Weapon: Deadshot! A mysterious new weapon awaits a worthy wielder... Play on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare difficulty to prove your worth.
@ Monster: Unwilling added
@ Monster: Baron of Hell and Hellknight will no longer infight
@ Visual: Made a new HUD animation for interacting with Elite Guards
@ Visual: Made a new HUD animation for interacting with Gore Nests
@ Visual: Nightvision fadein/out reworked a little to look nicer and at the same time be a little disorienting
@ Visual: Added HUD indicators for berserk and nighvision (near the IDFA stamp)
@ Upgrade: 3 Upgrades for the Deadshot - Strength In Numbers, Pinpoint Wounder, and Leeching Bolts.
@ Upgrade: Modular ammo reserve upgrades added for Bullet, Shell, Rocket, and Cell ammo.
@ Upgrade: Equipment Reconstructor upgrade added.
@ Upgrade: Holo Sustain upgraded added.
@ Upgrade: Titanium Blades upgrade added for the Chainsaw
@ Upgrade: Attachment Speedloader upgrade added for the Combat Shotgun.
@ Upgrade: Advanced Servos upgrade added for the Gauss Cannon.
@ Misc: Credit reward for elite guards lowered to 250
@ Bugfix: Fixed the simultaneous interaction issue with Elite Guards
@ Bugfix: Updated all HF upgrades for save and death exit protection like native D4D upgrades.
@ Bugfix: Chainsaw bloodstains now work correctly with Hell Bishop (green) and Gorger (blue).
# v0.1 [14/11/16] "What Are Thooooooose?"
@ Initial Release
Please report any issues specific to D4D_HF you may encounter, be they bugs or general visual/gameplay issues.
Credits:As of v0.3:
@ If the player manages to exit the level while playing the elite guard animation, their weapons will glitch out.
- Semi-fixed: Hard to do now and isn't possible in 99.99999% of maps, so it's cool.
@ Elite guards and gore nests can be interacted with from any z-distance.
I made sure to write down my sources, but I'm a messy guy and it's possible that I forgot someone.
If you recognize your (or someone else's) work here and it's uncredited, please let me know.
Spoiler:This list also exists as a text lump within the file.
Id Software, naturally.
D4D Team: DBThanatos, Major Cooke, Michaelis, Neccronixis, ZZYZX - For making something pretty damn cool.
- KeksDose, Pillowblaster
- Green Legacy, Megaherz
IWAD check script
- SGTMarkIV?, edited by Megaherz
Extra decorate for some monsters
Icons and extra HUD elements - Game-icons.net
Unwilling (aka Zombie Fodder)
- Horror Movie Guy
Hell Bishop (aka Vore)
- Vader, Megaherz
Septic Turret (aka Hanger)
- PaulNMN, Phobos867, Megaherz
- Captain J
- Vegeta, Aerial, Tormentor667, extra frames by Megaherz
- Onslaught Six, Jaws45
- Chronoteeth, extra frames by Megaherz
- Zrriontheinsect, Megaherz
- Spectator, Ghastly_dragon
- zrrion the insect
Have some gameplay footage yo: