[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby nakkemake » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:15 am

Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.


Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.
User avatar
nakkemake
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2015
Location: ┌П┐(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Nevander » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:28 am

nakkemake wrote:Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.

No offense but that's a really stupid reason not to play it. I actually like the sprites a lot more, they are more real looking and less comical. Classic Doom is more comical by comparison.
Nevander
Self-Banned User
 
Joined: 07 Jan 2014

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:49 am

Besides, D64 monster sprites were made out of PURE 3D models from midway, rather than clay figures; their anatomy and styles are kinda better than vanilla one. And yet, D64 was made by the makers of classic mortal kombat series.

I kinda like D64 better, except their awkward dark shadings. But it depends on their eyes and tastes, i guess!
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Cardboard Marty » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:24 am

Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.

That's actually really cool! Keep it up, I'm excited to see more!
User avatar
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"
 
Joined: 23 Oct 2004
Location: Blue Vertigo HQ
Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby skyrish10 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:51 am

An attempt to rip Tracer (Lena Oxton)'s pistol from Overwatch in a similar way that Cap J did:
Spoiler:
User avatar
skyrish10
Rinoa
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Location: Deling City

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:12 am

D3Commando.png
Finally dooooooone. It quite took so long, but i feel really great. It's D3 version of the chaingunner, inspired by kinsie's prototype D3 chaingunner sprite.

Credit goes to Untrustable for helmet rotation and Damson for unbloody-fied custom death frames.

Download sprites here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Kinsie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:17 am

Looks excellent! Thanks for this!
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby CWolf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 am

Making new Romero's head for Freedoom

Image
User avatar
CWolf
This unit operational no more. Sign off, and farewell till we meet again.
 
Joined: 07 Oct 2013
Location: Void Eternal

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby osjclatchford » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 am

Mr.Enchanter wrote:PB Railgun, GhostKillahZero did the edit but not sure if it was his original sprite, also, center from the D64 Plasmagun, and the tubing from the skulltag railgun.

Image
...


I see bits of my railgun in there... :wink:

Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.


WOW! :shock: more please :wink: LOL

Captain J wrote:...
EDIT:
wolf3dapplecasing.PNG
Made some casings from the Title screen of Wolfenstein 3D For Apple IIGS. I don't know. Maybe i loved its classic shading.

these are seriously tasty J, are they in doom palette?
osjclatchford
 
Joined: 07 Feb 2011

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Mr.Enchanter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:33 am

osjclatchford wrote:
Mr.Enchanter wrote:PB Railgun, GhostKillahZero did the edit but not sure if it was his original sprite, also, center from the D64 Plasmagun, and the tubing from the skulltag railgun.

Image
...


I see bits of my railgun in there... :wink:

Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.


WOW! :shock:


The scope?

also...
Image
User avatar
Mr.Enchanter
Certified Shitposter
 
Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Location: USA
Discord: Enchanter#5420

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:04 am

osjclatchford wrote:these are seriously tasty J, are they in doom palette?
Sadly, i think not.
wolfsneschaingun2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Kullenberg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:54 am

nakkemake wrote:
Kullenberg wrote:Image

I love the ambience, sound design and texture work of Doom 64. The pre-rendered sprites not so much.
I attempted to redraw the Hell Knight in a style more akin to the original just for fun. Might work on it more later.


Thats why I won't play d64, it looks ugly to me. Your sprites look nice, so nice in facts that if d64 had your sprite replacement, i'd play it.


Thanks, that's a great compliment. Redoing the whole spritesheet would be a huge undertaking though with so much else on the to do list :) but I'll definitely do another makeover for D64.

Captain J wrote:Besides, D64 monster sprites were made out of PURE 3D models from midway, rather than clay figures; their anatomy and styles are kinda better than vanilla one. And yet, D64 was made by the makers of classic mortal kombat series.

I kinda like D64 better, except their awkward dark shadings. But it depends on their eyes and tastes, i guess!

"PURE 3D" sounds like a buzzword out a 90's gaming magazine, haha! I don't see how the use of 3d graphics in of itself is by any means a indicator of quality. If anything 3d from that period usually meant the opposite. The anatomy of the Doom 64 sprites are objectively bad though. I mean look at that hell knight. It has the design aesthetics and proportions of a chinese bootleg action figure that melted in a house fire. I've seen potatoes with better anatomy :D
But yes, at the end of the day it's just a preference. I think some of the vanilla doom sprites are a bit too simple in their shading (the imp comes to mind) but I'd like to aim for something in between.

Marty Kirra wrote:That's actually really cool! Keep it up, I'm excited to see more!


Thanks I will!

osjclatchford wrote:WOW! :shock: more please :wink: LOL

More to come ;)
Kullenberg
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2016

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Kullenberg wrote:"PURE 3D" sounds like a buzzword out a 90's gaming magazine, haha! I don't see how the use of 3d graphics in of itself is by any means a indicator of quality. If anything 3d from that period usually meant the opposite. The anatomy of the Doom 64 sprites are objectively bad though. I mean look at that hell knight. It has the design aesthetics and proportions of a chinese bootleg action figure that melted in a house fire. I've seen potatoes with better anatomy :D
But yes, at the end of the day it's just a preference. I think some of the vanilla doom sprites are a bit too simple in their shading (the imp comes to mind) but I'd like to aim for something in between.
Couldn't explain the word better rather than Pure. My bad, but they do literally made out of modeling program, right?

And besides of anatomy problems like you mentioned now, i think they have their own unique style that vanilla doom don't have. Like, Cartoon met Realism style.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Warhawk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Something for Duke modders.

Image

The only thing is that the cannon isn't Duke Paletted

Credits to ID Software and 3D Realms
Warhawk
 
Joined: 27 Mar 2012

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Kullenberg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Captain J wrote:Couldn't explain the word better rather than Pure. My bad, but they do literally made out of modeling program, right?

And besides of anatomy problems like you mentioned now, i think they have their own unique style that vanilla doom don't have. Like, Cartoon met Realism style.


Totally cool mate, just taking the piss :) Gregor Punchatz who made the maquettes for vanilla Doom (and who also happen to be the son of the late Don Ivan Punchatz who made the iconic cover illustration for Doom) actually worked on D64 too, atleast for some of the monster designs. Instead of video frame grabs as in Doom 1 & 2 the models where digitzed into 3d models so yes, you're right.
And they are definitely their own style. I'm a huge pixel art fan, particulary the Amiga era and japanese arcade stuff so that's why I am drawn towards the more hand pixeled look.


Image
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLEASE SHRINK YOUR IMAGES in accordance with the rules!
Kullenberg
 
Joined: 31 Oct 2016

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Superdave938 and 1 guest