No Rest for the Living with original Doom 2 WAD?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
3371-Alpha

No Rest for the Living with original Doom 2 WAD?

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I'm curious, is it possible to use the BFG addon No Rest for the Living with an original Doom 2 WAD? I ask this as the BFG version has various changes (including censorship of the Wolfenstein 3D references and removal of the red cross symbol on medpacks and berserker packs) which might make it less desirable towards old school users.
LkMax

Re: No Rest for the Living with original Doom 2 WAD?

Post by LkMax »

Nope, you can just drag and drop or use a launcher like any other doom wad and it works with Doom 2 without any problem.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Just load NERVE.WAD like any other mod, and ZDoom will perform the appropriate magicks to set it up as an additional episode.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I know it only auto loads it on the BFG Doom 2, but it wont cause any glitches if you use it with the original one, will it?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nope, all the assets needed for it to work are already present, since there are no new textures, sprites, or music. ZDoom.pk3 already has the relevant MAPINFO entries for it to play the maps in the right order, with the right music and skies.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Cool! So say you own both the BFG & original, you prefer the original since it doesn't have censorship but use the BFG for the NERVE addon; you could, technically, eliminate the BFG Doom 2 wad (trash it) and strap NERVE to the original, right?
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

I don't think D3BFG will run with the original IWAD, but yes, you can run Zdoom with the NRFTL pack using the original, uncensored IWAD. If you use WadSmoosh, you can even incorporate the NRFTL levels in your Doom_complete.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

D3BFG will run the original IWADs but it's a bit glitchy. You're better off sticking with the censorship stuff or just modding it out into a special version and dropping it into your D3BFG folder.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Well, I tested it my self by adding the NERVE.WAD to Doom 2's autoload list in the config settings and can confirm that it works. The only problem as far as I can tell are a few minor texture glitches.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

I hope you don't mind me self-promoting but I did infact release a public patch uncensoring BFG Edition (and even censored version for Doom 2) here on the forums- as far as I know, there are no texture glitches when using my patch. It even contains DEHACKED for Chocolate Doom functionality. If you do see any glitches- please let me know and I'll get on it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

unRyker wrote:I hope you don't mind me self-promoting
I won't speak for anyone here, but personally I don't mind it because I never knew that existed, now that I do I know it can be useful, so thanks.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

That's pretty cool! I had no idea that even existed! I don't know about you, but I think your mod deserves to be mentioned in our wiki.
Unfortunately though, I tried it and it seems to cause the *very same* texture glitch now in the BFG version. I've uploaded some pictures of the glitch below.
Attachments
location of glitch on map
location of glitch on map
without mod (how it should look in vanilla BFG)
without mod (how it should look in vanilla BFG)
with mod/original IWAD
with mod/original IWAD
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It looks like something is trying to load Doom 64 textures; is there something in your autoloads, mods, or is your IWAD somehow modified?
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

Thank you both for the kind words about my patch!
3371-Alpha wrote:I tried it and it seems to cause the *very same* texture glitch now in the BFG version.
This is very odd, I've never seen that texture anywhere in Doom. I just did a quick check as well and went to LEVEL01 and didn't see that texture ingame (or in all my years of playing Doom) in that area. I'll have to go with wildweasel for this one. Perhaps you could Verify Integrity of Game Cache from Steam on your BFG Edition or somehow acquire a fresh copy if the IWAD is modified. Maybe you even might have to do a fresh install of ZDoom if even taking the offending mods from the autoload still doesn't work.

As a matter of fact, could you maybe provide a list of mods in your Autoload if possible so I can see if I find a workaround for this?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Definitely a Doom64 texture:

Return to “General”