MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

Re: [WIP] MetaDoom - Thank You For The Demon (Coming Soon!)

Post by TerminusEst13 »

They are slightly different (the 64 weapons fire a bit faster), but not enough to merit entirely separate weapons.

Else we get Classic Rivalry-tier weapon selection, five different weapons that all do the same thing.

Sometimes we just don't need more guns.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The timings are slightly different since Doom 64 runs at a different tick rate, and frames were cut (with other frame times adjusted to keep the speed close to the original), but overall the doom 64 weapons are pretty much the same. EDIT: Ninja'd. Guess I should pay more attention to the page numbers... heh

And I don't really thing the differences in Doom 3 are enough to warrant them becoming entirely separate weapons. Besides, that sort of defeats the point of the project, does it not.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Even though they could be same as vanilla doom's, kinda boringly, but at least this mod will have weapon modification, right?
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

TerminusEst13 wrote:They are slightly different (the 64 weapons fire a bit faster), but not enough to merit entirely separate weapons.

Else we get Classic Rivalry-tier weapon selection, five different weapons that all do the same thing.

Sometimes we just don't need more guns.
I disagree, there are people that like lots of guns. I happen to be one of them.

So long as they act and feel different from one another, who cares? Also with the option to drop weapons that the player doesn't feel like lugging around = everybody is happy.

I am excited to see how this project turns out.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

SiFi270 wrote:Kinsie please try to avoid referencing the books they honestly reinterpreted the revenant's armor/dried blood as a white shirt and red shorts and called it a skeleton in lederhosen
You tempt me, monsieur.
TheDoomctator wrote:
a gameplay mod that attempts to merge in elements from every Doom game ever made
That there comrade is enough to make me hyped for it...
I suppose it's far from a "playable state" but how far is "far"?
Of the "basic weapons", only the chainsaw and BFG 9000 need to be done. Not all the "basic monsters" (the default Doom 2 set) have been set up for the new stuff yet. Once I get all the basics and a couple of alternatives ready, I'll kick out what I have for the internet to peer over.
MJ79 wrote:A quick question: will this mod have reloading or just bottomless magazines?
Bottomless mags like God intended, but certain alt-fires will have a reload-style cooldown animation to give them a side-effect.
Captain J wrote:Even though they could be same as vanilla doom's, kinda boringly, but at least this mod will have weapon modification, right?
Doom 4's weapon mods are the base for the alt-fires every weapon has. I mean, I could make you grind hundreds of monsters to afford a single mod, but that'd be kind of crap for Pistol-Start players, wouldn't it?
JimpArgon wrote:I disagree, there are people that like lots of guns. I happen to be one of them.
And having four nigh-identical shotguns that primarily differ only in sprites and sounds would just be numbers for the sake of numbers. There are mods out there for that, and lord knows I've probably made or contributed to them.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Yes, give, now. :woh:
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

Sweet Cthulu (There is no God here), this looks nice.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

About the only thing I could imagine worth carrying over from 64 would be the Unmaker. Maybe combine its mechanics with that of the SoulCube?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Else we get Classic Rivalry-tier weapon selection, five different weapons that all do the same thing.
Heh.
I was actually going to link your video on that as an example but I was super tired and couldn't be arsed to find it at the time.

At least in this you'd only have the one playerclass so you wouldn't have to worry about whether you'd get one of your 5 identical shotguns or someone else's that you can't pick up or use.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that video is hilarious oh my god. favorite part was probably how you effortlessly autoaimed the rocket launcher that killed everything, the invul spheres being inventory items, and that solid black rocket decal.
Wolfbrf

Post by Wolfbrf »

Add a class system seem a nice idea, classes can change only the skins of basic guns, but all classes can get specific stuffs from doom games: smg from doom3, doom64"s unmaker, doom4 triple chaingun....

About the video, ok, has several bugs, but the smort animations are q good work, same for effects(simple and nice), this mod just need some bug fixes and adjusts over balance
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Speaking of which, hope the classes can be have their own theme about doom series. Their weapon set, character skin or sounds, doesn't matter!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks super cool! I'd love to help in any way I can, but looking at the end of the OP it looks like you've got covered everything that I'd be helping with mostly covered.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

Please tell me if you gonna add the soul cube, artifact and plasma levitator..
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Jaxxoon R wrote:About the only thing I could imagine worth carrying over from 64 would be the Unmaker. Maybe combine its mechanics with that of the SoulCube?
There's also the double bladed chainsaw. If Doom 4's upgrades/mods are being incorporated as alt fires, then maybe the chainsaw's alt fire could involve the marine attaching a second blade?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”