Doom : The Golden Souls 2 Mapping Contest (With Prizes!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Doom : The Golden Souls 2 Mapping Contest (With Prizes!)

Post by Batandy »

Golden Souls 2 has lots of levels with different themes and aesthetics, it's part of what makes the mod interesting to play, and this time i really want to see what you, the community, can do, now it's your time to make something amazing and unique!
Giant watermelon map? Sure. Space gardens? Why not? Everything is possible.

The three maps with the best theme and gameplay will win this competition, and all the runners up that fit the mod's gameplay and style will be added ingame, with credits and special thanks of course!

Prizes:

To make this contest more interesting, the users that make the best maps will win...

Image1st place: Steam game(s) of your choice (10 euro max)
Image2nd place: Steam game(s) of your choice (5 euro max)
Image3rd place: Steam game(s) of your choice (5 euro max)

Deadline: October 1, 2016
Minimum entries for this contest to start: 5

General Guidelines:

-Only one entry per user
-You must use the Golden Souls 2 Demo pk3: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mwktc ... _hfix1.pk3
-Your map must be in Gzdoom: Doom 2 UDMF format
-You map must be submitted as a separate pk3 with its own custom resources inside (Do not modify the demo pk3!)
-You can add custom textures,music and props, but not custom monsters
-Please use 16 bit music for your map, you can find tons of custom SPC music here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&s=smwmusic
-Choose a random mapslot, it doesn't matter since it'll probably be changed, just make sure it doesn't overlap a map that's already ingame
-Maps meant to be Ghost Houses and Castles aren't allowed, however normal maps with similiar themes are allowed.
-Only one person can submit a map, collabs are not allowed
-Avoid using too many textures that are already in the game, download, edit and add your own stuff, make your level different!
-Have fun!

Mapping Guidelines:
-The map must have 3 Big Coins (Be creative! These kinds of coins are usually harder to get!)
-The map must have an exit door with an exit switch inside
-Think of your map as part of the game, there currently are 5 worlds: Grass-Desert-Water-Forest-Mountain/Ice
-Think of a unique map theme that makes it stand out (choosing a color palette for your map helps)
-Do not put weapon pickups in your map, place them at the spawn for testing purposes
-Do not overdetail your map architecture-wise, simple and nice is good!
-The map should take atleast 7-9 minutes to complete in a run of yours
-Height difference is the key! You can jump really high (up to 128x128 walls), make every jump count!
-No direct references to Super Mario and other Nintendo games, ex: map with floating ? blocks and green pipes. Think of Golden Souls as its own thing, a colorful, platform-y Doom.
-It must be possible to backtrack from the exit to the start of the level

How can i give my map a unique theme?
Spoiler:
I really hope you'll give this contest a chance and i can't wait to see what you'll come up with, so, good luck and have fun! :)

(Post your map progress in this thread!)
Last edited by Batandy on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ZioMcCall

Re: Doom : The Golden Souls 2 Mapping Contest (With Prizes!)

Post by ZioMcCall »

I'll play again the demo and the first beta for take the right ispiration.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

I'd like to participate! I'm posting here so I don't accidentally forget.
simpletonnn

Post by simpletonnn »

Oh my god yes.
I don't even care if my map doesn't win a prize, I'd love to make a Golden Souls map.
Murix

Post by Murix »

If I've got time I might get around to it. I still have some projects I need to take care of first though.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

You know what ? I always wanted to wrap my head around making a Doom map so I'll go ahead and try (plus will be a good map design exercise since for external gamedev) to release one ;)
What tool do you guys recommend? Is the GZDoom Builder available here good? Tried it once and opened Pirate Doom! maps and it seemed nice ^^
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

DevilBlackDeath wrote:You know what ? I always wanted to wrap my head around making a Doom map so I'll go ahead and try (plus will be a good map design exercise since for external gamedev) to release one ;)
What tool do you guys recommend? Is the GZDoom Builder available here good? Tried it once and opened Pirate Doom! maps and it seemed nice ^^
Well, of course GZD Builder, for mapping
Slade 3, for adding custom graphics, music & props
and that's pretty much all you need.
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Oh yeah by the way, considering all the features in your maps, I suppose they don't have to run on Boom-compatible ports right ? ZDoom level of compatibility or GZDoom (is it any different in term of mapping limitation btw?) ? And thanks for the tips on Slade Quakedoomnukem ;)

I'll start to go hunting for map, textures and theme ideas :D
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

How much I'd like to participate, I simply don't find the time for it atm... :( Anyway, I am looking forward to the contributors works :)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

DevilBlackDeath wrote:Oh yeah by the way, considering all the features in your maps, I suppose they don't have to run on Boom-compatible ports right ? ZDoom level of compatibility or GZDoom (is it any different in term of mapping limitation btw?) ? And thanks for the tips on Slade Quakedoomnukem ;)

I'll start to go hunting for map, textures and theme ideas :D
Only Gzdoom, Golden Souls requires it to display the full color textures (most of the maps would look really ugly in the software render)

I'm glad that people are participating, can't wait to see what you'll make :D
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

My map is ready.
Start this pk3 with the demo and write in the console "Map ZioMap"
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vw0k6 ... map%29.zip
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

ZioMcCall wrote:My map is ready.
Hey Zio, i check your map and for what i could play i will give it a 7/10 because most of the monster can be snipe from the starting position, they are easy to kill from distance, and also i got several ramdom crashed when trying to save or load the game **Could not realloc 600526872 bytes** :cry: :?
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Mav3rick wrote:
Hey Zio, i check your map and for what i could play i will give it a 7/10 because most of the monster can be snipe from the starting position, they are easy to kill from distance, and also i got several ramdom crashed when trying to save or load the game **Could not realloc 600526872 bytes** :cry: :?
Crashes?This is strange,i never had crash problems with my map and i saved a lot of times see that i'm bad to complete the challenges that i created XD
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

ZioMcCall wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:
Crashes?This is strange,i never had crash problems with my map and i saved a lot of times see that i'm bad to complete the challenges that i created XD
well after try to re-do it all got tired and after finding that crash bug could no go forward, oh and i was using gzdoom-g2.2pre-1733-gb364926 if that may help you ;)
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Mav3rick wrote:
oh and i was using gzdoom-g2.2pre-1733-gb364926 if that may help you ;)
This game is actually being build with dev builds of GZD 2.1, i have one on my Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4NTf ... 2oyWUxmUVk

Return to “Levels”