Unable to use Doom cheat codes like IDKFA, IDDQD etc.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Unable to use Doom cheat codes like IDKFA, IDDQD etc.

Post by wildweasel »

darkhog wrote:Also, if you still can't do that, even with the console closed, the wad in question may block the cheats via mapinfo. Like my mod does. I hate cheaters.
I don't recall that being possible.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

By making all the skills "nightmare" skills (in the sense that you can't use iddqd, idkfa, etc). But there are ways around that. Using the console to type in sv_cheats 1 is an example. Regardless, I don't think having your mod being "cheatsydoodles" free is the proper way to do things. A lot of people might want to test your mod first by giving themselves all the weapons and see if the mod is worth playing rather than spending 30 minutes of their precious time to determine that all your weapons, and gameplay, is crap or it's worth playing again from the start. This is how I've came to love WW's mods.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I already have set sv_cheats 1 in my autoexec, so you can't block my cheats. :wink:
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

I do not blame you and I have much of the same sentiment because I want to win through skill than cheating. The point for me in using cheats is more of a testing tool in that if I get stuck or if there is not enough ammo I can use that as a bookmark of what I will edit if I have to, but If a map does block cheats but has issues of poor design such as horrible monster/ammo ratio along with impassible doors that do not have the scripts correct or there are pitfalls that cannot be escaped, What command or script do I need to edit to unblock the no cheating limit (personal use only)?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

The only real cheat I use is Resurrect, mostly in what I call "bullshit!" situations. Such as someone making a imp-ranked monster rip off half of my health in one go.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i also admit to using resurrect over here. it's a godsend when i'm being terrible at the game. besides, games are meant to be fun, and sometimes i do cheat in Doom to have fun or blow off steam. it doesn't have anything to do about "git gud" for me, i've played the game for about 8 years dammit.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i've played the game for about 8 years dammit.
20 years here. It's sort of a game I play when I've got nothing else better to do.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Someone who hacks a game in order to ruin the experience for someone else is a cheater. Someone using codes in their own game is only affecting their own experience, why "hate" them? What people do behind closed doors for their own enjoyment is their own business.

Besides, if you've ever modded a game at all, you're in the same "playing the game in a way other than how it was made" boat.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

I cheat in my own mods just to bug test them. Gotta short cut gameplay balance somehow. Some mods and maps are just beyond my skill level yup, definitely going to try it legit first but if the creator is a meany then time abuse. Not all of us are slaughter Masters.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This thread was about 5 years out of date. I'm not gonna shuffle this to the Gallery of Useless Bumps, though - I'm just going to lock it. The discussion's been and gone by now.

Return to “General”