ARGENT - v1.0.0
- Release Archive
ARGENT, in a nutshell, is Xaser's own spin on Neccronixis's nu-Doom weapon sprites. In contrast to the other big kids on the block (D4D, D4T, and Zion), ARGENT aims to be a bit more "old-school" in its goals, providing a slick set of smoothly-animated d44m weaponry without introducing a ton of game-changing mechanics. In addition, as of v0.4.x, it's powered by ZScript! Huzzah!
Some key features:
- All SP weapons from Doom-Notfour, quasi-faithfully translated and balanced for use against Doom's classic bestiary*.
- Weapon Mods!
- New powerups! Quad, Haste, and Regen are all toggle-able in the menu.
- Equipment! Rechargeable grenades! Eventually more stuff of the sort like siphons/holograms soon!
- A custom gib system for maximum "splooshiness"
- Several tweak flags for user customization, including the fabled "monsters always gib" setting.
- Gallons of polish (or litres if you prefer), particularly in the animation department.
Stuff that's not yet done but on the list:
- Holograms n' Siphons -- Grenades are in, but that's not the end of it.
- Cool Crosshairs, complete with cooldown meters and all that jazz.
- Better Haste and Berserk powerups
- A lock-on indicator for the Rocket Launcher, which I keep forgetting to make for some reason.
- Misc tweaks and bugfixes (of course)
- A post-release expansion pack featuring reinterpreted versions of the MP-exclusive weapons... with mods!
- Glory Kills
- 100% new-Doom accuracy
- Enemy sprites or behavior changes (gibs being the exception)
- Randomization elements
- Incremental weapon/stat upgrades or currency systems
- Belching lava
Hey, why should I play this instead of D4D/D4T?
'Cause you want to. Otherwise, play the other ones!
Seriously though, these guys have done a fantastic job, and I encourage folks to try out both mods and pick out which one they prefer. D4D and D4T are jam-packed with features and upgrades, while ARGENT carves out its own niche by focusing on keeping the gameplay a bit more old-school (hence "streamlined") with some ultra-smooth new animation work as the icing on the cake. Check out the videos at the bottom of this post if you're interested, or just give it a spin!
The mod has mods now (... how meta), but there's still a few things to be done. Here's what we'll see on the near horizon:
- v0.1.x: Primary fires for all weapons; some things still incomplete (e.g. BFG ammotype).
- v0.2.x: One mod, chosen based on sprite availability and/or whim. Ha ha! I skipped this entirely.
- v0.3.x: Both mods, with a good ol' animated swap feature.
- v0.4.x: ZScript conversion. New SSG sprites. Bugfixes, because bugs happen!
- v0.5.x: Equipment system. Huzzah! Just the grenade for now, but there you go.
- v1.0.0: Current version. Profit. /idgames release. Heat death of universe. Also this is totally just v0.5.x with a bugfix, punted out the door.
- v1.1.x: Kickass animated crosshairs. Also the rest of the equipment, probably! And other things I planned on doing but then didn't!
- v2.0.0: The Expansion, featuring the multiplayer-exclusive weapons (e.g. Static Rifle, Lightning Gun, etc.) included, with mod fires! Got some cool plans for these post-release... once the universe is rebooted, of course.
These are slightly-dated, but still show off the goods:
The mapset shown is Back to Saturn X Episode 2. Ignore the purple plasma -- that's a palette thing thanks to my goofy choice of maps.
Yep. I'm taking a page from Marty Kirra's book and doing something a little different this time: hosting the project on Github. Been using it a ton lately for various things and I figured it'd be a good way to let folks access the latest stuff without having to remember (i.e. always forget) to upload a new version every once in a while, plus I plan on using issue tracking and possibly pull requests -- handy stuff.
- Hats off to Neccronixis, again, for his killer sprites. Without him this mod would be incredibly hard to imagine existing.
- Magic thanks to Kate for being awesome and catching a lot of silly bugs I made during testing n' development of a semi-secret thing. More on that in the future, perhaps... O:
- The D4D guys for making cool shit and being supportive of my own efforts. Keepin' the "rivalry" friendly.
- Many more, which are mentioned in the credits.txt lump in the pk3. If I'm missing anyone, let me know!