X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shotfan

Re: X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Post by shotfan »

I am the only one who cannot see Demontech Rifle ammo supply on the HUD? (also, is the rifle supposed to be green or red? Just curious here)

Demon Medic is one tough nut. Fast, randomly throws HUGE fireballs and can summon another DM. I think that last feature makes him a tad too overpowered - it is bad enough when he summons Cybruisers, especially in tight spaces. Thankfully, the Super Shotgun brings him down quickly, but I think he should not be able to summon a buddy, or the fight's difficulty can suddenly ramp up to the Nightmare! levels. (Or maybe I am just a pansy :D )

Oh, and those Watchers. Their projectiles are faster, stronger and laggier than those of Inferno Cacodemon's. What the hell? Screw those little orange buggers - they need a nerf. (how such a little monster be so powerful? Does not seem right)
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Sorry for the double posting, but I have found another bug:
Some weapons cannot be manually reloaded - they do it only when you deplete their magazine and try to fire. I have this issue with the standard pistol (the 15 bullets one, I forgot its name), Tactical Shotgun, Phasic Launcher and Hunter Rifle. Can be unnecessarily dangerous sometimes.

Also, is here a weapon that fires timed grenades? The current Grenade Launcher is nice, but both of its modes are impact-detonated. In some situations, an indirect fire is very appreciated, so I would recommend to add detonation mode toggle for the Grenade Launcher under the aim button, just like the Hunter Rifle can alternate between conventional and hybrid plasma rounds.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The balance feels better in the new version, being able to pick up more HP and the armor absorbing more damage helps out a lot. I think health potions/armor bonuses are broken though. I can pick up the floating crosses to get HP, but armor bonuses on the map are invisible, while the armor drops from enemies appear, neither gives armor.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

shotfan wrote:Sorry for the double posting, but I have found another bug:
Some weapons cannot be manually reloaded - they do it only when you deplete their magazine and try to fire. I have this issue with the standard pistol (the 15 bullets one, I forgot its name), Tactical Shotgun, Phasic Launcher and Hunter Rifle. Can be unnecessarily dangerous sometimes.

Also, is here a weapon that fires timed grenades? The current Grenade Launcher is nice, but both of its modes are impact-detonated. In some situations, an indirect fire is very appreciated, so I would recommend to add detonation mode toggle for the Grenade Launcher under the aim button, just like the Hunter Rifle can alternate between conventional and hybrid plasma rounds.
I just tested these weapons - they all reloaded mid-magazine. Did you use IDKFA/IDFA? Some weapons have artificially limited magazines for upgrade purposes (an unupgraded M65 pistol holds 15, but IDFA gives 18, making reloading impossible until passing below 15 rounds).
-Ghost- wrote:The balance feels better in the new version, being able to pick up more HP and the armor absorbing more damage helps out a lot. I think health potions/armor bonuses are broken though. I can pick up the floating crosses to get HP, but armor bonuses on the map are invisible, while the armor drops from enemies appear, neither gives armor.
I don't know why the armor drops aren't working - they used to work in older builds, and I can't figure out what broke them, exactly.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, you can still pick them up, it'll say something like "You got a pickup" but nothing will happen.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

TheRailgunner wrote:
shotfan wrote:Sorry for the double posting, but I have found another bug:

I just tested these weapons - they all reloaded mid-magazine. Did you use IDKFA/IDFA? Some weapons have artificially limited magazines for upgrade purposes (an unupgraded M65 pistol holds 15, but IDFA gives 18, making reloading impossible until passing below 15 rounds).

No, I did not. Maybe this is caused by the GZDoom version? I use gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1523-gbb355b3.
EDIT: I just checked it again, and I can reload M65 and Hunter Rifle on demand, but still not Tactical Shotgun nor Phasic Launcher. (and I still have no ammo count display for the Demontech Rifle)
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Sorry for being a pain in the a**, but I encountered another bug again. This time, it is the Automatic Shotgun: it is mute. No firing sound at all. (unholster and reload SFX work fine)
Is it the fault of the old version of GZDoom? (I still use gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1523-gbb355b3)
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

shotfan wrote:Sorry for being a pain in the a**, but I encountered another bug again. This time, it is the Automatic Shotgun: it is mute. No firing sound at all. (unholster and reload SFX work fine)
Is it the fault of the old version of GZDoom? (I still use gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1523-gbb355b3)
It's actually my fault - a long time ago I accidentally deleted X-Weapon's ASG firing sounds during the move from X-Weapon to Helsturm, and I only recently got around to fixing it. That said, I'm pretty sure I did fix that recently...
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

TheRailgunner wrote:
shotfan wrote:Sorry for being a pain in the a**, but I encountered another bug again. This time, it is the Automatic Shotgun: it is mute. No firing sound at all. (unholster and reload SFX work fine)
It's actually my fault - a long time ago I accidentally deleted X-Weapon's ASG firing sounds during the move from X-Weapon to Helsturm, and I only recently got around to fixing it. That said, I'm pretty sure I did fix that recently...
Ah, yes - I am playing the previous build of Helsturm, not the most recent one. (indeed, I looked around my version of Helsturm files with SLADE, and could not find any sounds for XSSG/Automatic Shotgun).
So, maybe also the bugs with reloading and Demontech ammo counter are no longer present in the current build... (since no one else reported them) Yeah, I was probably being just a dumbass :mrgreen:
(I will shut up now, since I am playing the old version and my notifications are obsolete :D)
Thanks for the reply.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom -file doom2.wad helsturm.pk3. google says this means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and can unpack it no problem..

Is it me or is it the mod or is it gzdoom?
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

There is going to be more updates with new guns, monsters or another stuff?
mutator

Post by mutator »

which item spawns the marine that you can keep with you?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

NullWire wrote:There is going to be more updates with new guns, monsters or another stuff?
At some point - eventually I have to go back and make the FastProjectile bullets invisible, because the effects are kind of resource intensive and don't look smooth enough to justify their use. That said, Helsturm and X-Weapon are kind of backburnered (technically, X-Weapon is more or less complete; Helsturm, not so much), but the next update for Helsturm will have an angled BFG - the sprites are all there, just have to tweak and polish the code.
mutator wrote:which item spawns the marine that you can keep with you?
Neither X-Weapon nor Helsturm have helper marines; that doesn't mean they won't ever have them (I honestly want to put together an improved helper marine with more sophisticated behavior patterns), but it's low-priority.

Kind of weird that this thread manages to get bumped at least once or twice a month, so long as I'm working on something else.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

How about helper doges instead of marines? Plenty of room to sprite up upgrades for them.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Slax wrote:How about helper doges instead of marines? Plenty of room to sprite up upgrades for them.
I really like this idea - that said, I can't help but be averse to the idea of zombies and demons murdering my doges. Maybe I'll put them on a timer, make them immune to damage, and simply have them teleport or disappear once the timer expires.

I could give them some sort of exoskeletal weapon mount and have the player give them a weapon (which is dropped once the dog teleports). So...yes, helper doges confirmed.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”