Dynamo's One-Stop Resources Shop(NEW!Realms of the Haunting)

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
HMNuke93

Re: Dynamo's One-Stop Resources Shop (NEW! Damage Incorporat

Post by HMNuke93 »

Yagotzirck wrote:If you're not practical with coding your own tools the easiest way is saving the palette with .pal extension, import it in slade then right click->Palette->Tweak, then set Luminosity to 200% twice.
Anyway I checked the beginning with 8x8 tile size like you suggested, but all I see is http://imgur.com/yKjr2YS
Some tiles in the middle vaguely make some sense, but size definitely isn't 8x8 :?
My mistake, i meant the image format is 8 bits x pixels..... i'll try the method you suggested. The file i attached is an example (with an edited palette) of what i was able to rip with tiledggd. The panel width is 256, the height changes in all LIF files. Generally in the beginning of the file you find some textures,then sprites,and toward the end of the file you find fonts and system graphics.
Attachments
multix.lif.png
Yagotzirck

Post by Yagotzirck »

Alright, I'll search the widthxheight values of a few sample textures/sprites to see if I can find the archive's file allocation table, so that I can automate the extraction process. Thanks :)
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Glad to help :D , and by the way, your method worked! :wub:
Attachments
miss01.lif.png
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

HMNuke93 wrote:Glad to help :D , and by the way, your method worked! :wub:
OHSHITOHSHIT IT'S HAPPENING...
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Ozymandias81 wrote:
HMNuke93 wrote:Glad to help :D , and by the way, your method worked! :wub:
OHSHITOHSHIT IT'S HAPPENING...
You bet 8-)
Spoiler:
Attachments
03.png
03.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@HMNuke93
When the set will be completed, I think you'll need to work on it in order to give more bright colors... Maybe compare them to the available resource on ZDForums from LR.
Spoiler:
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

I have a near complete rip of killingtime for the PC.

If your trying to do it on your own, understand 90% of the sprites are compressed and in a special format. I wrote a bunch of pythonscripts to extract, decompress, slice and convert them. TiledGGG will not work for most of the files.

I have about 90% of things, theres a few frames of some animated sprites that throw errors. I also have to rework my script for the menu extraction and sounds extraction.

If tinyupload is allowed, heres a current copy of my dump folder (minus sounds and some menus):

Mind you: Some of the files are not in 100% ready shape due to an offset error I'm correcting and an issue with processing alpha, most things should be 'usable'.

EDIT: New(er) Dump, No Menus, Sounds or First Person Weapons. Missing 6 animation frames.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3297255060

I'll likely have a proper full dump in a few days/weeks.
Last edited by ect0s on Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Hey, thanks very much for this :D definitely looking forward for the final build of it, feel free to post it here if you happen to get it
Spoiler:
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

I have one correction to make to a calculation to fix most of the offset issues.

Beyond that, PIL (Python Image Library) doesn't like converting the alpha without flipping pixels insides sprites. Would they be usable without alpha built in? Someone would have to do it by hand.

The Menus just need a new dump done now that things have been updated, while I'm at it I'll redo the POV of the weapons since they are essentially the same format.

The Sounds are unsorted, and theres about 200 of them I have to play then rename to something appropriate.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Well for transparency I imagine it could be easy to make or find a tool to do it automatically, I had one that did it for the Prime Target and Damage Incorporated rips: that is, as long as the background color isn't being used elsewhere in the sprite. Something like cyan or bright purple helps in that regard, but usually white works as well
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

The 'alpha' color in game is set to black in the pallet.

Black is also used in the sprites, for instance the wasp/hunter in the dump I linked have obvious issues with this.

Technically, I think the black used inside of the sprites is sopposed to be a different pallet color number, but because both it and the alpha map to the same color PIL treats them the same when converting alpha. Its the same black value

I can easily force them to dump as another image type, or as a raw image, or I can change the alpha color to something else (another color triplet) in the pallet. Changing the color didn't work.

I also have the map data, its in a doomlike format, but I haven't looked into converting them into a wad - Lots of things would be broken even if I did.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

yeah, conversion seems to be out of the question, but nonetheless documenting it in some format may always prove to be useful - I've done that for cybermage for example in the (remote) possibility anybody wants to mess with the levels of that game, they have something to start with.
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

ect0s wrote:I have a near complete rip of killingtime for the PC.

If your trying to do it on your own, understand 90% of the sprites are compressed and in a special format. I wrote a bunch of pythonscripts to extract, decompress, slice and convert them. TiledGGG will not work for most of the files.

I have about 90% of things, theres a few frames of some animated sprites that throw errors. I also have to rework my script for the menu extraction and sounds extraction.

If tinyupload is allowed, heres a current copy of my dump folder (minus sounds and some menus):

Mind you: Some of the files are not in 100% ready shape due to an offset error I'm correcting and an issue with processing alpha, most things should be 'usable'.

EDIT: New(er) Dump, No Menus, Sounds or First Person Weapons. Missing 6 animation frames.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3297255060

I'll likely have a proper full dump in a few days/weeks.
you're my hero :wub:
Yagotzirck

Post by Yagotzirck »

ect0s wrote:The 'alpha' color in game is set to black in the pallet.
Technically, I think the black used inside of the sprites is sopposed to be a different pallet color number, but because both it and the alpha map to the same color PIL treats them the same when converting alpha. Its the same black value
Can you describe the original picture format and how you're decompressing it? I think the transparency should be treated during the decompression process, kinda like in doom where there isn't a transparent palette color, but instead the transparent pixels are simply skipped by defining each column's beginnings: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Picture_format

I'd suggest to scan each image for an unused palette index(since it's unlikely that a sprite/picture will use all of the 256 colors) and using that as a transparent color, that's what I did when I ripped Target and it worked quite well :wink:
Last edited by wildweasel on Wed May 18, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not use the Wikia! Use Doomwiki.org instead. See the Rules!
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5880186095

Looks similar to the doom format.

Above is a raw sprite of a key. The keys are not compressed in the original archive (Killingtime.rez). Many of the object sprites and all of the enemy sprites are compressed, and are also group together into one file with an additional header.

Format:

Code: Select all

04 00 00 00 18 00 31 00 0C 00 31 00
04 00 00 00 - Marker as single frame sprite.

18 00, 31 00 - Width, Height, little endian.

0C 00, 31 00 - Draw Offset for center of sprite in game.

Begin Line Descriptor Pointer Table:

38 00 3D 00 
4A 00 57 00 64 00 71 00 7A 00 83 00 8C 00 95 00 
9E 00 A7 00 AC 00 B1 00 B6 00 BB 00 C0 00 C5 00 
CA 00 CF 00 D4 00 D9 00 DE 00 E3 00
All pointers are two bytes, little endian, they're origin is relative to the 4th byte in the file (add 4 to each pointer). The Number of pointers is equal to sprite width. If a pointer is 00 00, the scanline is empty and has no descriptors

Descriptors:

Descriptors are 4 bytes long, there can ever several for each scanline. Between Scanlines there is a flag byte (FF, 255). You can find the length of a set if descriptors by subtracting the current pointer from the next pointer and subtracting 1. This will fail on the final scanline, but is required because in at least 6 cases a descriptor starts with FF, these are the 6 frames currently not in the dump. You append the offset to the beginning of the pixel array (First Descriptor Pointer) to make the math workout.

Scanlines are actually equal to height, requiring a rotation and flip after the entire pixel array is built.

Example for scanline one of linked sprite:

07 04 E8 00 FF

07 - Padding (alpha)

04 - Number of Pixels in line

E800 - Pointer to Pixels to get from file start+4

FF - End of Scanline (fill the rest of line with padding).

Next Line.

05 0C EC 00 27 04 F8 00 2D 04 FC 00 FF
05 - Pad

0C - Run of Pixels to read

EC 00 - Offset to read from.

27 - Pad - However, Subtract current line length to get value of pad bytes to fill.

04 - Run of Pixels

F8 00 - Offset to read from.

FF

Next line, And so on.

Pallets are stored seperately, there is no color table in each sprite, just raw values that map to the pallet.

I suppose your right in that I could make the pad bytes another color, I would just have to add an array for already found colors and choose something not included.

Return to “Resources”