[No] A new DECORATE variable

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

A new DECORATE variable

Postby Ultimate Freedoomer » Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 am

I have an idea for a new DECORATE variable in Zdoom:
  • Variable name: Weapon.Clipclass
  • Variable type: Actor Properties
  • Variable function: In the event that a mod incorporates a reload mechanic & the primary & secondary firemodes of 1 of the weapons use separate magazines from each other, this variable will determine which ammo actors serve as the clip counters for that weapon (it is NOT meant to standardize reload state layouts themselves)
  • Up to 10 "Weapon.ClipClassX" parameters can be defined (so separate clips for different toggled firemodes can be implemented. "Weapon.AmmoType" & "Weapon.AmmoGive" should also be changed to allow up to 10 each "Weapon.AmmoTypeX" & "Weapon.AmmoGiveX" parameters to be defined.)
What do you think?
Ultimate Freedoomer

Discord: Open Source Forever#0483
Twitch ID: https://www.twitch.tv/lyokianh

Re: A new DECORATE variable

Postby Major Cooke » Wed May 11, 2016 5:11 am

Sounds like doomscript material to me.
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 am

That description doesn't tell me anything what the engine is supposed to do with this value. I guess that means 'no'.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby wildweasel » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

I feel like this is already handled adequately enough in existing mods.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Accensus » Wed May 11, 2016 11:32 am

If what you want is to create more ammo types for a given weapon, you can always use A_TakeInventory in the corresponding state. Some SBARINFO can also be helpful. Using that, you can create as many ammo types as you want and display them on the screen. The options are a lot, just be imaginative. ;)
Accensus
Vector, locked in.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Ultimate Freedoomer » Wed May 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:That description doesn't tell me anything what the engine is supposed to do with this value. I guess that means 'no'.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "what the engine is supposed to do with this value" in this context? I'm assuming you mean something with default interfaces (the included full-screen HUDS in particular), but I'm not certain, so I'll withhold my answer until I get confirmation on if that's what you mean (& if not, an explanation of what you DO mean) so as to avoid assuming & sounding like even more of an idiot to you guys than I'm worried I already do at the moment.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Postby Ultimate Freedoomer » Wed May 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Lud wrote:If what you want is to create more ammo types for a given weapon, you can always use A_TakeInventory in the corresponding state. Some SBARINFO can also be helpful. Using that, you can create as many ammo types as you want and display them on the screen. The options are a lot, just be imaginative. ;)
Well, the idea with "Weapon.ClipClass" is so Zdoom's included full-screen HUD (which only shows ammo coded to your active weapon with "Weapon.AmmoType") can display more than 2 clip counters & reserve counters per weapon. Also with this variable, the althud would be able to display more than 2 ammo counters in a weapon in the event you have the ALTHUD's ammo counter menu set to "current weapon" or "available weapon" rather than "all weapons".
Ultimate Freedoomer

Postby Accensus » Wed May 11, 2016 2:34 pm

http://zdoom.org/wiki/DrawNumber

I believe the droids you are looking for are over at that link.

Code: Select allExpand view
Ammo <AmmoType>
and
AmmoCapacity <AmmoType>

IsSelected [not] <weapon1> [, <weapon2>]
Combined with that, it enables you to create practically limitless types of ammo And display them. It just requires a little bit of coding.

Example: Check if you're holding specific weapon and draws numbers with Ammo<type1,type2,type3,etc.> for that weapon, each at its specified place on the screen. I can make a weapon with 3 different ammo types using this. Yes, the easy way ends when you have used up both Weapon.AmmoType1 and 2, but it's not impossible to continue expanding further upon the ammo spending and types, just requires more DECORATE and a lil bit of SBARINFO.

EDIT: As for the alt hud, I dunno what to say there. I don't use it at all. But if Graf said no - Graf said no. So sayeth thy Lord.
Accensus
Vector, locked in.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions