Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Hotfix v2 1 May)

Post by -Ghost- »

LedIris wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:What's different between this and your other gameplay mod? Seems like it'd be easier to merge them together.
The other gameplay mod is a mess - it's code is all over the place, there's a lot of unused content taking up space and I felt like starting again with all of it. As well as this, the fact that it had it's own gore system probably turned off people who are fond of using Ketchup or Droplets. Not everybody likes tracers, either, as they make WADs that use switches activated by gunfire harder. (Fragport is an example) I'd like to make something that appeals to a bigger audience.

With this mod, I have tried to make the code a lot easier to read, as well as accomplishing the same tasks that my other gameplay mod did, only organized a lot better. This mod doesn't have tracers, custom monsters or gore - it's purely a weapon/item mod, so it's more compatible with HUDs, Ketchup and monster replacement mods, things like that.

I've also improved a bit with DECORATE since my other gameplay mod, and I've been attempting to make the weapons feel a bit more satisfying than in the other gameplay mod. (Like getting involved with offsets to make the weapons look much better when firing)
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think you should keep the additional effects, but leave them as a seperate WAD or something so people can use them if they want. Shooting felt pretty satisfying in your other mod between the blood/gore and tracers and effects.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Hotfix v2 1 May)

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:
LedIris wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:What's different between this and your other gameplay mod? Seems like it'd be easier to merge them together.
The other gameplay mod is a mess - it's code is all over the place, there's a lot of unused content taking up space and I felt like starting again with all of it. As well as this, the fact that it had it's own gore system probably turned off people who are fond of using Ketchup or Droplets. Not everybody likes tracers, either, as they make WADs that use switches activated by gunfire harder. (Fragport is an example) I'd like to make something that appeals to a bigger audience.

With this mod, I have tried to make the code a lot easier to read, as well as accomplishing the same tasks that my other gameplay mod did, only organized a lot better. This mod doesn't have tracers, custom monsters or gore - it's purely a weapon/item mod, so it's more compatible with HUDs, Ketchup and monster replacement mods, things like that.

I've also improved a bit with DECORATE since my other gameplay mod, and I've been attempting to make the weapons feel a bit more satisfying than in the other gameplay mod. (Like getting involved with offsets to make the weapons look much better when firing)
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think you should keep the additional effects, but leave them as a seperate WAD or something so people can use them if they want. Shooting felt pretty satisfying in your other mod between the blood/gore and tracers and effects.
I can do that. I think I should get the weapons done first before doing anything else. Seeing as the other mod didn't have gldefs or brightmaps, I could also put those in this mod. I agree that the other mod felt pretty satisfying - heck, some features of it made it into WoS (which was really cool, big thanks to Lippeth) but I find hitscan mods more interesting to make. I'll try my best fulfilling what people request.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Update! 2 May)

Post by LedIris »

Updated the mod again! I've added in the Plasma Rifle now, as well as pickup sounds for cell, cellpack and backpack. I've also added more offsets to the Super Shotgun to make it more enjoyable to fire. It looks a bit nicer now. :wink:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Just tried it out now, the weapons feel pretty good. Nice touch using the MOH sounds too, by the way.

Have you given any thought to a name for the mod?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Just tried it out now, the weapons feel pretty good. Nice touch using the MOH sounds too, by the way.

Have you given any thought to a name for the mod?
Not at the moment. :D Nothing has really come to mind, yet. MOH sounds are always good to use :wink:
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Mod's been updated. Nothing major, other than:

-All replaced weapons bob through all animations (select, reload, deselect, etc) Thanks to Faslrn for explaining how it's done. :wink:

Edit: I also fixed the Super Shotgun's firing sounds being interrupted by the reload sounds.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Update v3! 2 May)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! I saved almost two megs of space by converting all sounds to ogg. I've also added a small fade out to the Super Shotgun's firing sounds, to save space as well as stop it from taking up sound channels.

Before: 5.71MB
Now: 3.75MB
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I never knew bobbing through all animations would make such a difference! O_O

Also, nice treating on the plasma rifle.

Are the gravity and speed of your magazines intentionaly like that? They are so fast it looks like they glue on the ground. ;D
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Just curious, what WAD is that in the screenshots?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Doomguy5th wrote:Just curious, what WAD is that in the screenshots?
It's called Putrifier, and you can download it here. :wink:
GAA1992 wrote:Are the gravity and speed of your magazines intentionaly like that? They are so fast it looks like they glue on the ground. ;D
Yeah. :lol: I've never really liked the magazines bouncing everywhere for a really long time. I just never thought it looked that good. 8-)

Also: NEW UPDATE!
I've finally replaced the Chainsaw. When selected, it's not on, so you must rev it before using it. (This helps Berserk users. ;) Once again, big thanks to Faslrn)
I've also changed the way armor works: If you have Megaarmor equipped, you won't pick up green armor until the Megaarmor goes below 50. (I've always hated picking up green armor when on < 100 Megaarmor, seeing as the latter protects you from more damage. I can always change it back if it is not liked)

My question is: Is this mod worth anyone's time? It just started off as a small personal project.
-Ghost-

Re: [WIP] A personal weapon/item mod (Last build 3rd May)

Post by -Ghost- »

Since you're seperating the shotgun shells, will you be doing some sort of Smart Scavenger system for the rest of the ammo/health items? I think it'd be better to switch the supershotgun shots as well, with primary being the double shot and alt being the single fire, since you'll be using the doubleshot more. Another thing that would be cool to see would be some different animations for a completely empty reload vs a partial mag reload, like pulling the slide on the pistol to chamber a new round. This one is personal preference, but I feel like the AR sprite/sound is a little boring, like it lacks a good punch to it. Lastly it'd be cool to see armor provide some more passive benefits; I'm not sure what else you could do with it, but I like how it reduces your flinch when you take damage now. Maybe less toxin floor damage as it mostly eats the armor up first before it gets to you?

I like the mod so far and hope you keep working on it. I'd love to see you just merge it with your older one since you've learned things since then and they're already pretty similar.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] A personal weapon/item mod (Last build 3rd May)

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Since you're seperating the shotgun shells, will you be doing some sort of Smart Scavenger system for the rest of the ammo/health items? Another thing that would be cool to see would be some different animations for a completely empty reload vs a partial mag reload, like pulling the slide on the pistol to chamber a new round. This one is personal preference, but I feel like the AR sprite/sound is a little boring, like it lacks a good punch to it.

I like the mod so far and hope you keep working on it. I'd love to see you just merge it with your older one since you've learned things since then and they're already pretty similar.
I was thinking of doing a similar system like Smart Scavenger, having the medikit drop 2 stimpacks and a mini-stim. I was also going to do the same for ammo and rocket boxes, where the ammo box drops 4 individual clips and the rocket boxes drop 5 individual rockets. (I always hated picking up a full box of ammo when on almost full ammo capacity, thus wasting the whole box) This can also give me a chance to try out supply crates - replacing something to drop different types of ammo, health and armor. Remember in the old mod, enemies dropped used items? Supply crates could do the same, to give the player a slight boost but nothing too major so it doesn't make the game unbalanced.

As for the merge - you mean, replacing the old weapons in the other mod with these ones? That would be good to do, seeing as the other mod was a lot more fast paced and fun. I'm guessing that this would still be worked on, as well, for people who aren't a fan of the tracers or custom monsters/gore in the other mod.

As for different animations, Well for the rifle I could have the completely empty reload play different sound effects, and keep the partial mag one the same. Or, have only the empty reload drop an empty magazine, rather than both. I'm willing to try out any suggestions that anybody has for the mod.
-Ghost- wrote:I think it'd be better to switch the supershotgun shots as well, with primary being the double shot and alt being the single fire, since you'll be using the doubleshot more.
I can try doing this, as well. It's different to what I'm usually used to coding, but it would be nice to see a change. Trouble is, I'm used to using primary for single and alt for double, so changing it would mess me over a bit. :lol:
-Ghost- wrote:Lastly it'd be cool to see armor provide some more passive benefits; I'm not sure what else you could do with it, but I like how it reduces your flinch when you take damage now. Maybe less toxin floor damage as it mostly eats the armor up first before it gets to you?
This would be pretty cool to try out, as well. Maybe having different types of armor spawning in place of the usual types of armor, all providing their own strengths and weaknesses? I wouldn't want to make them too overpowered, though. Feel free to suggest anything for this type of thing.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] A personal weapon/item mod (Last build 4th May)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! Barrels have been redone, they now explode instantly, and have new animations. I've also made a start on adding gldefs to glowing items, decorations and powerups.
LedIris

Update - Supply Crates! (6th May)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! Barrels have a small chance of being replaced with Supply Crates, which you can smash to get small items. You can get a mini stimpack, a clip, four shells, or a light vest of armor which adds +10 armor to whatever you have equipped. In coming updates, I will add more stuff. Also, the Medikit has been split up into 2 stimpacks and a mini stimpack giving 5 health.

Edit: There's also a new secret sound. (I know somebody who might like this :wink:)
Last edited by LedIris on Sat May 07, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Re: [WIP] A personal weapon/item mod (Last build 6th May)

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for the update! Supply crates sound like fun. I love things that make each playthrough of a level feel different.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”