Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocus Doom

Post by ravage »

Tormentor667 wrote:...or sometimes you don't want any help because you can decide everything on your own - which isn't a bad thing ;)
Not entirely true. Some help would be nice. :P
While I don't mind doing most everything by myself, there is one thing I could use help with--enemy sprites. I can use the original sprites for side views, but I need front and back views for them. If anyone would like to help, I'll provide a spritesheet that you can use as a base, to keep everything consistent.

What I'd love to do is have some sort of permanent inter-game scoreboard, but I don't think that's currently possible.
Playtesting and finding bugs is also always needed.
Tormentor667

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 03-07-2016)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Heh, I am sure it is :) To be honest, this is one of the projects in development that I just don't to help with. Not that I am selfish but it's one of those experiences that I want to make as a player and feel again like I was 9 years old :)
ravage

Post by ravage »

May as well bump my own thread with progress.

Progress near the end of Episode 2
Gez

Post by Gez »

Gorgeous as always.
jeans477

Post by jeans477 »

Great to see more of this mod, replaying episode one on hard.
fluff

Post by fluff »

Aesthetically I think this is my favorite area yet. I just really love the colors and theme.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh my god how beautiful
Nash

Post by Nash »

I would legit pay for a commercial game with this quality of art polish and aesthetics.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

I just rediscovered this yesterday, great to know it's been updated - it's the kind of thing that I think most people think up as a joke for one level, but you've really produced something that looks and plays amazingly out of it :)

Seconding Nash's comment that (if it weren't a fangame and thus liable to be hammered by 3D Realms if you did so) this could legitimately be commercial :)
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

Hello guys and Hocus Doom fans!
I am bringing a new enhancement/contribution for Hocus Pocus Doom:
If you want to listen to the original Adlib/Sound Blaster/OPL Hocus Pocus soundtrack, you no longer need to download and use the big MP3 soundtrack, but instead you can now use the ZDoom's built-in OPL emulator!

HOW TO USE:
1. Download this tiny add-on WAD:
hocus_genmidi.wad
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
2. Run Hocus Pocus Doom along with this WAD
3. In game menu, go to Options -> Sound options and change "MIDI Device" to "OPL SYNTH EMULATION"
4. Go to "Advanced Options" and change "OPL Emulator Core" to "DOSBOX OPL3"
5. Go back and use "Restart Sound"
6. Enjoy!

@Ravage: You can add this into Hocus Pocus Doom pk3.
Attachments
opl.png
opl.png (77.75 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

since it's an addon, i hope you can start your own thread with that!
ravage

Post by ravage »

Hisymak: That is amazing. Its pretty close to the original for the most part. Except for the percussion instruments are a bit odd, but other than that not bad at all. I'll still keep the mp3s available though.
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

ravage wrote:Hisymak: That is amazing. Its pretty close to the original for the most part. Except for the percussion instruments are a bit odd, but other than that not bad at all. I'll still keep the mp3s available though.
Thank you Ravage! Yes I know some instruments are not 100% precise but I don't think I can do any more with that, since the instruments are exactly extracted from HOCUS.EXE. And yeah you can of course keep the mp3 soundtrack, this is just a new alternative for those who prefer direct OPL emulation rather than using external music files, like me (its advantage is full stereo panning which is a special ZDoom's OPL emulator feature).
ravage

Post by ravage »

It has been a while. So while you're waiting for the next update, have some current progress!

Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

I won't repeat that your progress looks amazing as always.
In the last release you started a bit with episode 3 levels. Any progress and possibly screens from these?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”