The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
MegadooMer6

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by MegadooMer6 »

Hello the list: I installed GZdoom on two machines, both running Ubuntu Trusty and Wine 1.6.2. One is a custom desktop running an Intel Xeon E3-1200 v.3 4th gen integrated controller (Haswell desktop) that has access to 16 GB of ram. The other is a HP Probook laptop running the 2d gen integrated controller (Sandybridge Mobile) that's two years older than the desktop and running 8 GB of RAM. GZDoom runs just fine on the laptop in Wine but I get a blank screen in the desktop with identical Wine settings. I'd like to play it on the desktop. There doesn't seem to be anybody else I can find with the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
VoidMage

Post by VoidMage »

:roll: probably cause running in wine has its own set of problems, that are only tangentially related to Linux.

Sure, you you can do odd things if it entertains you, but others don't need to find them entertaining.
MegadooMer6

Post by MegadooMer6 »

Thanks.... I think.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Why would you want to use something in Wine that has a perfectly functioning native Linux version?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

So I just upgraded to Debian Jessie from what used to be a CrunchBang Waldorf install and now I'm just getting static where the sound used to be. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
EDIT: It seems to clear up after a while, not sure how long exactly or what goes with it, and sometimes it even starts out just fine.

(I'm using the same fmod package as before and also I'm still getting crashes with OpenAL and any mod with ogg sounds)

2016-04-30 edit: I have no idea what happened, but basically I:
- dist-upgraded around last week
- updated to latest GZDoom
- updated to latest FMOD API
- compiled, everything was ok!

...and then it turned out GZDoom had defaulted back to OpenAL and I could not select FMOD at all.
Whatever, if it ain't broke it ain't worth fixin'.
EimGhey

Post by EimGhey »

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Raspberry_Pi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 2&p=799781
Here are some tips for how to get ZDoom to work on in Raspian Linux!
curbdog

Post by curbdog »

I get a black screen when running GZDoom in full screen or windowed.

Terminal output when running it gives these errors:

Code: Select all

EE ../../../../../../src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_shader.c:158 r600_pipe_shader_create - translation from TGSI failed !
EE ../../../../../../src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_state_common.c:761 r600_shader_select - Failed to build shader variant (type=1) -1
etc..
I'm on Mint 17.3 64 with a Radeon 5850 -- it's the same with opensource and fglrx drivers.

Edit: GZDoom works in software mode only. I do believe it's a driver issue with my ATI card and I don't think there's a fix, so it's software mode only for now.
Dlf

Post by Dlf »

I have installed zdoom on my linux distro (mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon) with DOOM wads (doom 1/2/etc) and would like to try to get Wolfenstein 3D/SOD TC working with it as well - how would I get that playable?
curbdog

Post by curbdog »

Dlf wrote:I have installed zdoom on my linux distro (mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon) with DOOM wads (doom 1/2/etc) and would like to try to get Wolfenstein 3D/SOD TC working with it as well - how would I get that playable?
It recommends doing this:

Code: Select all

$ cp ~/.config/zdoom/zdoom.ini ~/.config/zdoom/Wolf3D.ini
$ zdoom -config ~/.config/zdoom/Wolf3D.ini +exec ~/.config/zdoom/Wolf3D.cfg -file ~/.config/zdoom/Wolf3D.pk3
That's assuming zdoom is installed similarly to gzdoom in Ubuntu/Mint.
FireFish

Post by FireFish »

I recently (a day ago) compiled Zdoom on Arch linux with the following options in the CMakeLists.txt:

Line 099: option( NO_FMOD "Disable FMODEx sound support" ON )
Line 100: option( NO_OPENAL "Disable OpenAL sound support" OFF )

This dissabled the need for the awkward use and management of FMOD on linux. The rest can be found on the Wiki http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux#Arch_Linux. The only thing you do not need to do is install FMOD.

The engine still runs rather good on a Pentium 4 with an awfull IGP from the year 2003.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

FireFish wrote:The engine still runs rather good on a Pentium 4 with an awfull IGP from the year 2003.
I hope so. I don't think ZDoom uses any hardware rendering under Linux. It's all Software.
FireFish

Post by FireFish »

Hellser wrote:
FireFish wrote:The engine still runs rather good on a Pentium 4 with an awfull IGP from the year 2003.
I hope so. I don't think ZDoom uses any hardware rendering under Linux. It's all Software.
Yes, but a lot of modern 2D games generate a texture which gets rendered to screen trough opengl. And some of them demand openGL 3 which seriously screws people with lesser hardware.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Getting this, anyone know what's up? (How you identify the problem based on this would also be appreciated as it's basically pure gibberish to me)
Spoiler:
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Until it isn't fixed in code you can add .GetChars() after each cvarName in the lines with errors to be able to build.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not again... :( Does anyone have an idea how MSVC can be forced to reject these that doesn't necessitate changing nearly everything that has to do with FStrings?

Return to “Tutorials”