[17-03-17] ZERO TOLERANCE UPGRADE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should certain weapons be re-balanced?

No, leave the weapons as-is
9%
Yes, certain weapons should be rebalanced
28%
Yes, but make the rebalance controlled by CVAR
64%

Total votes: 69

Espilonarge

Re: [WIP] ZERO TOLERANCE 2016

Post by Espilonarge »

I thought this was going to be a total conversion of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game... my mistake. :lol:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Mikk- wrote:Not really sure to be truthful. I hadn't even given it an ounce of thought. I'll get this out of the door first, before I make any drastic addtions such as that.

Speaking of which, there's just a little polishing here and there to be done! The HUD now works at 4:3, 16:9 & 16:10 resolutions!

EDIT: I've added another small feature, the Minimal HUD - like the regular hud, just with only the essentials!
Just a small nitpick, but it might be better to make the HUD font red or green, as that black feels like it'd strain the eyes on darker colored maps. Even against the green there it's a little hard to see. Font is great though.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

-Ghost- wrote: Just a small nitpick, but it might be better to make the HUD font red or green, as that black feels like it'd strain the eyes on darker colored maps. Even against the green there it's a little hard to see. Font is great though.
Yeah I know what you mean, I just used the original font supplied with the mod. I'll make some changes to make it translatable and I might add a shadow, too.
Espilonarge wrote:I thought this was going to be a total conversion of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game... my mistake. :lol:
That would be interesting! That's what I thought of when I first heard of the original mod.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Mikk- wrote:
Xaser wrote: If there's anything that needs rebalancing, it's those damned hitscanners -- they kick my ass to hard every time I try and put the nostalgia goggles on.
Yeah, especially the pistol zombies, they can make even MAP01 of DOOM II a pain. Then there's the combat snipers, they certainly sting a little. I'll probably tweak the enemy accuracy values a bit to make them fair for their rank.
So all those years and I thought I was just sucking at playing this mod! I couldn't even beat Knee-Deep In The Dead, and on "normal" difficulty.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Mikk- wrote:
Xaser wrote: If there's anything that needs rebalancing, it's those damned hitscanners -- they kick my ass to hard every time I try and put the nostalgia goggles on.
Yeah, especially the pistol zombies, they can make even MAP01 of DOOM II a pain. Then there's the combat snipers, they certainly sting a little. I'll probably tweak the enemy accuracy values a bit to make them fair for their rank.
So all those years and I thought I was just sucking at playing this mod! I couldn't even beat Knee-Deep In The Dead, and on "normal" difficulty.
They're ridiculously strong and accurate for low-tier monsters. The pistol zombie can shoot pinpoint bursts which can take off a fair chunk of health. Heck, all the hitscan enemies are a pain in the ass, mostly due to their pinpoint accuracy.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Mikk- wrote:I've played your fixed version before, I find your take on the black-hole effect quite interesting. However, I feel that what I have done to be somewhat more visceral.
That's definitely very effective, and surely gory! :D Also, I suspect it's more linear to implement (i.e. no need to define custom death states or reassign TIDs). Approved :!: :!: :!: 8-)
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Yep! It was ridiculously easy to implement!

Speaking of implementation, I've added an auto-reload option for those who perhaps don't enjoy having to reload their weapon every so often. Defaults to off, but if you wanna use it, it'll be seated in the Zero Tolerance Extras menu!

Also, I've been toying around with the fonts, now I was wondering, if I were to go with the red font, which would you prefer? Top or bottom?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

glowy letters look cool, but it might feel a bit too noisy to look at. the first one is probably better because of this.

have you decided to add more music to this mod while it's done? i always found it a shame all the ingame tracks there were only 5 or so. i wouldn't mind a full MIDI/MOD soundtrack to go with this.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Yeah, I felt the top text is a little more bold. I haven't thought about adding new music. If I could get my hands on music that is in the same vein/style that'd be great. The original tracks for levels 1-3 were from a game called Rollin', the tracks were by someone called Karsten Koch.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

K.Koch's discography is here, but they're modules -- perfectly fine in zdoom of course, though ZT's existing midi covers would need changing. Either way, putting music in a gameplay mod was a weird choice in general. :P
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

This was one my favorite mods of all time, and i'm really happy to see someone working on it. I wish you best of luck, Mikk!
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Cheers jdredalert! It was one of mine, too!

On the topic of monster balance, I've done some digging... The pistol zombies can deal 12 damage maximum, but their bullet spread value was around 8 or so, which is rather low (for comparison, the default Zombieman's bullet spread is 22.5). The 'Combat gunners' can deal 45 damage in a single, very accurate shot - the default Shotgunguy does the same potential damage but is far less accurate. The 'Combat Sniper' can also deal 45 damage, but their spread is only 1 degree. I honestly do question what Zero Prophet was thinking when making these low-tier enemies so deadly!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Xaser wrote:Either way, putting music in a gameplay mod was a weird choice in general. :P
well, it could always be an optional pack for those who'd rather listen to the default tracks or something of their own. i just think it'd make the mod feel more cohesive if it had a full soundtrack replacement.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Okay so, I feel that this is the right time to release v1.0 of ZERO TOLERANCE 2016!

Download: zp-zerot-2016.zip (10.8mb)
You WILL need the latest devbuild

Please let me know what you think! Right now as it stands, a complete feature list is this:
  • Redefined HUD in SBARINFO, including minimal HUD
  • Dyanmic Lights for pretty much everything. Including default DOOM decorations
  • Reloading re-bound to +RELOAD key
  • Auto-reload option
  • Auto-use QuickFifty pack option (and variable HP activation threshold)
  • Zero Infinity vortex pullin
  • Hitscan monster tweaks
  • Redefined HUD in SBARINFO, including minimal HUD
  • Dyanmic Lights for pretty much everything. Including default DOOM decorations
  • Reloading re-bound to +RELOAD key
  • Auto-reload option
  • Auto-use QuickFifty pack option (and variable HP activation threshold)
  • Zero Infinity vortex pullin
  • Hitscan monster tweaks
  • Minor bugs squished

Please let me know what you think!
Last edited by Mikk- on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Echelon5

Re: [FIRST RELEASE] ZERO TOLERANCE 2016

Post by Echelon5 »

Getting this error on startup:

Script error, "zp-zerot-2016.pk3:actors/weapons/flaregun.txt" line 44:
Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters

I have the latest G and ZDoom builds.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”