Ground Branch - Alpha 0.7 available

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StatisticalHourglass

Ground Branch - Alpha 0.7 available

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

Ground Branch is a cyberpunk themed add-on for Doom with 2 classes to choose from; a Human Mercenary and a Cyborg Outlaw.
Each class has its own specific traits and although single player playthroughs are a possible and fun challenge, the mod was created with Coop multiplayer mode in mind.

I used many of the community's resources so thanks to you this mod is possible.
However I have not compiled a full credits list yet, feel free to ask if you want to know where something came from.

VIDEOS:
Spoiler:
SCREENSHOTS:
link to the gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/tvfxz

--CLASSES--

Marid
-----

Human Mercenary. Has extensive knowledge of firearms, explosives and field healing. He doesn't have much health or cybernetic implants and relies mostly on his resourcefulness.

>>> Skills:
> Ammo managment
Rearrange ammo pool in 15 or 30 round mags.
> IEDs
Craft improvised explosive devices from detonators and 40mm grenade ammo.
> Drug System
Empty syringes and several compound chemicals (red, blue and yellow) can be found scattered in the field.
Marid can combine these agents to inject himself and get boosts in strength, agility, health, accuracy, defense, and attack speed.

>>> Weapons:
1- Punch Dagger
2- Pistol
3- UZI
4- Manstopper (Double barreled shotgun)
5- Copkiller (Pump Action Shotgun)
6- SCAR H (Heavy Assault Rifle)
7- M79 (Grenade Launcher)

Batou
-----

Cyborg Outlaw. Focuses on melee weapons, but can be devastating with firearms as well. Has cybernetic implants to boost his habilities.

>>> Skills:
> Implants
Batou starts with 3 modules: Health Regeneration, Infrared Vision and EMP shockwave.
most of them have an active ability and a passive bonus.
Aditional modules can be found and upgraded (up to 3 times each) which affect gameplay style.

Not all modules are compatible and up to 3 can be installed. Incompatible modules are listed in pairs:
Strength (+ Melee damage) / Speed (+ Movement speed)
Heavy Frame (+ Damage resistance; Unarmed Block) / Light Frame (+ Attack speed; Quick draw)
Energy Recycling (Energy Regeneration) / Visual Hack (Invisibility; scanner)

> Weapon Upgrades
Five upgrade packs can be found and applied to firearms. Match Trigger (+ Accuracy), Recoil Spring (+ Rate of Fire), Extended Mags (+ Ammo), Heavy Barrel (+ Damage), Advanced Mod kit (Unique Upgrade).
> HV Rounds
High Velocity Ammo is available for the Uzi and the Kimber Pistol.

>>> Weapons:
1- Fists
2- Steel bar
3- Knives
4- Machete
5- Khukri (Nepalese Heavy Blade)
6- .40 Sub-Compact Pistol
7- Kimber Pistol
8- Uzi

ENEMIES:

some enemies are resistant to some types of damage and vulnerable to others:
for example basic zombies are resistant to shock damage while more cyborgized assault and copkiller zombies are vulnerable to bludgeoning.
Drones are resistant to sharp damage and Dreads are vulnerable to fire.

enemies will also need to reload and some of them can fall to the ground and get up, the more badass zombies have a secondary weapon.

Drones will run out of ammo and dreads will keep fighting even after you chop both arms off.

Preliminary credits:
Spoiler:
Thank you!

Now the download, current version is 0.7:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5R5c8 ... sp=sharing enjoy
Last edited by StatisticalHourglass on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Somagu

Re: Ground Branch

Post by Somagu »

Wow. I was initially kind of skeptical of this because of the appearance, but this is actually pretty fun, in a twisted Hideous Destructor kind of way. I kind of wish there was some way for Marid to heal besides needing 3 separate items, though.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Heh, from the title and Somagu's comment I was expecting I'd have to either retire or start stealing a lot of ideas and code. :V

Hopefully I can take a closer look at this over the weekend...
StatisticalHourglass

Somagu wrote:Wow. I was initially kind of skeptical of this because of the appearance, but this is actually pretty fun, in a twisted Hideous Destructor kind of way. I kind of wish there was some way for Marid to heal besides needing 3 separate items, though.
yeah I rushed the thread, i't look better in a bit hopefully.
I'm glad you figured out the potion making, I'll make the blue stuff heal 15 points instantly to reduce frustration.
Vaecrius wrote:Heh, from the title and Somagu's comment I was expecting I'd have to either retire or start stealing a lot of ideas and code. :V

Hopefully I can take a closer look at this over the weekend...

hah! don't even think about retiring buddy!
feel free to use and peruse anything in this mod, I did steal plenty of ideas and code myself.

I'm glad you guys tried out the mod, i'll update some things soon.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Ground Branch - Alpha 0.7 available

Post by Matt »

Is extremely realistic gameplay a long-term goal for this project though? If not you might want to add a disclaimer since the mod has the same name as another game currently in development and given all the "___ existing game in Doom" mods out there it's easy to get confused.
StatisticalHourglass

well the Long term goal is to simply replace all doom 2 enemies with custom ones and fix bugs, i'm not going to change what's already in too much. I don't mind the name overlap trough, since the description pretty much explains what it is, maybe i'll add a subtitle. thanks for the heads-up.
tell me what you think of the mod when you get to try it out, and if anyone wants to record some gamplay that'd be great.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Sure. I was actually streaming some of it the night of release, but I was listening to what some might consider rather unfitting music at the time. Also uh I'd have to make sure to get rid of my stream gif widget.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool idea, it kind of reminds me of the old Ballistics mod. This is just personal opinion, but you might want to give some of the gun sounds another pass, like the Uzi, since right now they sound kind of weak.
StatisticalHourglass

Do you mean the ut2004 mod? I always enjoyed that one.
about the uzi, maybe it's the fact that the sound is so high-pitched. 9mm sounds like that in real life, and while this isn't meant to be realistic, I like to keep the guns consistent with their real counterparts.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

an interesting mod,i think each of aviable player class- need own item spawner,now it is mixed & frustrating ..
bloodraven085

Post by bloodraven085 »

where is the reload key?? i can't find it...
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Playing more of this, I like the scarcity of supplies, it's nice to have to actually scavenge a bit. Is there any way to implement a Red Orchestra style mag check, where you weigh the magazine to get a rough idea of how many shots you have left?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Reload state with a hold check would do the trick nicely for that.

8-)
StatisticalHourglass

wolf00 wrote:an interesting mod,i think each of aviable player class- need own item spawner,now it is mixed & frustrating ..
I don't know how to detect what class the player is right now.
bloodraven085 wrote:where is the reload key?? i can't find it...
just bind your zdoom reload key, it's with the other controls.
-Ghost- wrote:Playing more of this, I like the scarcity of supplies, it's nice to have to actually scavenge a bit. Is there any way to implement a Red Orchestra style mag check, where you weigh the magazine to get a rough idea of how many shots you have left?
I wanted to keep the incentive for exploration, I'd love to have a way to check ammo, but I didn't want to add an extra key, I'll try Caligari's idea.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

That UZI sprite from Shadow Warrior is getting OVERUSED. Use the one from ww-terror instead. It's just killin' me.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”