Any decent free game recording software?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
enderkevin13

Any decent free game recording software?

Post by enderkevin13 »

So I was looking for some decent game recording software, and couldn't find bullshit.
If any of you have suggestions, tell me and describe whatever I guess.

Before you suggest something, here's a list of program I tried and stopped using:

•OBS - It worked out for a while now, but soon it just started to fuck up a whole lot

•LoiLo - It has great quality and speed, but it has a bunch of wonky effects when recording, or having the program open at all.

•Shadowplay - Wasn't able to install due to not having a NVidia GPU
Last edited by enderkevin13 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edward850

Re: Any decent free screen recording software?

Post by edward850 »

enderkevin13 wrote:•Shadowplay - Wasn't able to install due to not having a NVidia GPU
Considering it kind of requires the dedicated h.264 encoding hardware on a Nvidia GPU in the first place, I'm not sure what else you expected.
Meanwhile, if these are your current specs, you aren't going to be able to find much of anything. Realtime video encoding either needs a lot of dedicated CPU time, or dedicated encoding hardware. You lack both. Fraps is your only bet, assuming you have a hard-drive that's fast enough and with enough room (as it's RAW video), and that's also not free anyway.
Last edited by edward850 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

OBS works perfectly for me on my end, sucks that it doesn't work for you. OBS is the only way for me to record my entire screen in Windows 8.1 because FRAPS doesn't do desktop recording.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Nash wrote:OBS works perfectly for me on my end, sucks that it doesn't work for you. OBS is the only way for me to record my entire screen in Windows 8.1 because FRAPS doesn't do desktop recording.
It makes the screen all dark whenever I record, and it's weird.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

enderkevin13 wrote: It makes the screen all dark whenever I record, and it's weird.
Thing is, it shouldn't. Unless you're talking about the playback. I know nVidia has an option to enable "Full-range videos", which makes scenes look darker / richer in color.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

enderkevin13 wrote:
Nash wrote:OBS works perfectly for me on my end, sucks that it doesn't work for you. OBS is the only way for me to record my entire screen in Windows 8.1 because FRAPS doesn't do desktop recording.
It makes the screen all dark whenever I record, and it's weird.
Huh, it makes everything super bright in my recordings.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

How do I record fullscreen games on there? I need something that can record fullscreen games basically.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

edward850 wrote:
enderkevin13 wrote:•Shadowplay - Wasn't able to install due to not having a NVidia GPU
Considering it kind of requires the dedicated h.264 encoding hardware on a Nvidia GPU in the first place, I'm not sure what else you expected.
Meanwhile, if these are your current specs, you aren't going to be able to find much of anything. Realtime video encoding either needs a lot of dedicated CPU time, or dedicated encoding hardware. You lack both. Fraps is your only bet, assuming you have a hard-drive that's fast enough and with enough room (as it's RAW video), and that's also not free anyway.
To answer your question, I have a new laptop, with Intel Core i3-5020u and Intel HD graphics 5500, as well as 2.2GHz and 4GB RAM. Better than my old processor.
edward850

Re: Any decent free game recording software?

Post by edward850 »

A 40 Mhz increase isn't much better. The only thing you have going for you is a bigger cache, which typically means squat for the dynamic nature of video encoding.
You do have Intel Quick Sync, but you already had that before and quite frankly I'm unsure how well that performs, let alone on 2.20GHz. And as far as I know, from your list provided only OBS supports that.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

edward850 wrote:A 40 Mhz increase isn't much better. The only thing you have going for you is a bigger cache, which typically means squat for the dynamic nature of video encoding.
You do have Intel Quick Sync, but you already had that before and quite frankly I'm unsure how well that performs, let alone on 2.20GHz. And as far as I know, from your list provided only OBS supports that.
OBS has a weird effect when recording, so I'm guessing I can't do shit about it.
enderkevin13

So I got OBS working properly...

Post by enderkevin13 »

And now I need recommendations for recording GZDoom.
The quality I can currently record at isn't too bad, but isn't too good either.

Here are my specs:

Intel COre i3-5020u
Intel HD graphics 5500 - latest version
4GB ram
2.20GHz
Windows 10
Nash

Re: So I got OBS working properly...

Post by Nash »

Why did you make a new thread when the other one was perfectly fine?
edward850

Re: So I got OBS working properly...

Post by edward850 »

You also haven't mentioned what settings you're currently using or how you're handling the resulting footage, thus we have nothing to recommend changing. It's not like we can suggest using 50Mbps@1920x1080@60 with NVENC because you don't have the hardware capable of doing that, and doing so might not be necessary if you're not editing the footage (and thus doing a second lossy encode).
The minimum for Youtube directly in 720 is 15Mbps. If you're editing, it's as high as you can afford because you lose substantial quality with a second lossy encoding.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

I'll post my current settings tomorrow. For now I'll go to bed

Return to “Off-Topic”