Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Beautiful Doom 6.3.2 (April 15, 2018) - brightmaps

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:10 am

That enhancement mod from 2008.

DOWNLOADS
* Latest version (6.3.1)
* See all versions

REQUIRED PORT: GZDoom 3.2.5

If you've never heard of it — here's a list of features and a trailer.

Version 6.3 overview

TRAILERS!
Spoiler:

FEATURES: (for those who never heard of it)

Beautiful Doom is a GZDoom mod that remakes all objects and monsters in the game to look more impressive, cool, bloody, you name it, but it retains the vanilla gemaplay.
At the moment it's only effectively compatible with GZDoom; Zandronum was supported by earlier versions but at the moment Zandronum is just too far behind GZDoom in terms of supported features, so the mod would lose about half of its coolness in it.

It has:
* Smoothly-animated monsters, weapons and SFX such as particle fire, smoke, empty casings, ricochet, bullet tracers and new and improved sounds
* You can play either with fully vanilla guns or rebalanced enhanced guns that provide more tactical variety; the weapon set can be changed in options at any time
* Smooth animations for monsters and some items by Gifty, used at his permission and blessing
* New deaths, animated blood and lots of special effects for monsters
* Physically accurate gibs, unique for every monster
* Interactive decorations: breakable lamps (by explosions), killable impaled victims, etc.
* Light effects, halos, fire, smoke, etc.
* Footsteps, footprints, smooth water, and lots of other stuff

The mod is a PK3-file. Some of its components are relatively standalone, so you can comment monster- or item-related lines in DECORATE to play with only some of the features.

PLEASE REPORT ANY BUGS YOU FIND!

UPDATE HISTORY
---------------------------------
VERSION 6.3.2 || April 15, 2018 || DOWNLOAD (ModDB) DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)
* ADDED/IMPROVED *
-- Added brightmaps for all monsters. Welcome glowing eyes and more realistic lighting! While shooting monster sprites don't light up fully, instead only the relevant regions are highlighted.
-- Kickback from kick attack now works more consistently
-- If you comment weapon-related #include strings in the main DECORATE file to play without new weapons, you no longer have to comment WPNREPL in LOADACS too
(But you will have to comment strings in MAPINFO. See DECORATE.txt for instructions.)
-- Added instructions into DECORATE.txt for those who want to exclude new weapons
-- Shotgun melee animation is a little bit more fluid
-- Torches now emit a quiet burning sound
-- Lamps now emit a quiet humming sound
-- Lamps destroyed by explosions now occasionally produce electric sparks (they're disabled along with Enhanced Lights option)

* CHANGED *
-- Enhanced Fist is silent as before, but Enhanced Kick will now alert monsters within 256 map units around you if you hit an enemy
(512 units if you're using Berserk). No alert if you swing in the air or hit a wall
-- Enhanced Shotgun Melee alerts enemies the same way the kick does

* FIXED *
-- Shotgun melee attack is fixed and reworked:
- only pushes monsters away when an enemy was hit (it'll no longer sometimes push things around when you just swing in the air)
- it pushes monsters away similarly to kick but stronger
- in contrast to kick it can only push monsters horizontally, not vertically, so the practical kickback strength is lower
- as before, it gets stronger with Berserk
-- Commenting weapon-related strings in DECORATE file now actually allows playing the mod without new weapons and doesn't produce any relevant errors
-- Explosive barrel's explosion frames are now bright
---------------------------------
VERSION 6.3.1 || April 8, 2018 || DOWNLOAD (ModDB) DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)

* ADDED/IMPROVED *
-- Bullet tracers now respect autoaim settings
-- Arch-Vile's attacks now trigger fire death animations (although inconsistently)
* CHANGED *
-- Reduced the volume of some of the louder sounds:
- chaingun fire sound by 40%
- chaingun emtpy casing sound by 50%
- pistol emtpy casing sound by 30%
- shotgun empty shell sound by 60%
- chainsaw wall hit sound by 65%
* FIXED *
-- Added code optimization that *should* fix the issue that caused Pain Elemental/Cacodemon deaths to sometimes crash the game (thanks Rowsol)
-- The kick attack no longer pushes enemies away if they're behind walls, and the push effect is only activated if you actually hit a monster
-- Chaingun will no longer fire 2 bullets if you have only 1 Clip left
-- Fixed an issue that allowed using kick in the short window after Vanilla Chainsaw primary attack (thanks SiFi270)
-- While using Dual Pistols with Bullet Tracers on, the tracers are now properly aligned with the guns (used to be reversed)
-- Revenant's missile is no longer missing dynamic light (thanks Rowsol)
-- BDoom*.txt now properly lists GZDoom 3.2.5 as the earliest compatible version
-- GZDoom loading screen now properly lists the release date instead of TBA (GAMEINFO lump)
-- Fixed the spelling of the name of the 'Beautiful Doom Credits' menu (thanks Chewcumber)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 89 times in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:32 am

Updated to fix incorrect rocket hud sprite.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Skrell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:55 am

Just amazing! Please post more pics!!!
Skrell

Postby Zhs2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:43 pm

The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(
Zhs2
Power of three.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Postby Kombine » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Just played through a couple of maps from different WADs with this. The only major gripe I have so far is the weapons (mainly the SSG) seem to kick back the enemies farther than they should.
Other than that, I'm enjoying this mod. Looks like I have a nice alternative to Smooth Doom.
Kombine
Scream Bloody Gibs

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:39 am

Zhs2 wrote:The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(

I don't really play multiplayer much so the feedback about multiplayer bugs would be much appreciated. But do you know why exactly they don't work? These custom inventories give you the same keys, not different items. I thought they should work just fine.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Vict » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 am

What's the cvar for disabling weapon smoke? The readme mentions it, but I can't find a key binding for it.
Vict

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:54 am

Vict wrote:What's the cvar for disabling weapon smoke? The readme mentions it, but I can't find a key binding for it.

Default bind is I (weapon effects and debris toggle) and it's not really a CVAR but a script (puke "Debris_Toggle"). But I just noticed something is wrong with it, i.e. it doesn't affect all the necessary stuff. I'm going to check and fix it right away.

UPD:

Wad updated. Now the debris toggle function should work fine and I also fixed the key definitions (they should work in multiplayer properly).

UPD:

Updated to 6.0.1. I think you'll like this.

* Fixed keys acting wrong in multiplayer
* Added BDoom_weapsounds WAD: if you don't use it, the weapons will have standard sounds.
* Fixed Debris Toggle function so that it properly affects all weapon
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.1

Postby Yutrzenika » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 am

Couple nitpicks I have: Not a huge fan of the the HD item pickup sprites, and even more nitpickier, the spent shells ejected from the SSG flying with each other and landing together right next to each other perfectly, no deviation or anything.

Aside from that, glad to see Beautiful Doom is back. Also, find it amusing that your trailer boasts 100% original Doom gameplay, while you show footage of you playing with mouselook.
Yutrzenika

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.1

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:06 am

Yutrzenika wrote:Couple nitpicks I have: Not a huge fan of the the HD item pickup sprites, and even more nitpickier, the spent shells ejected from the SSG flying with each other and landing together right next to each other perfectly, no deviation or anything.

Aside from that, glad to see Beautiful Doom is back. Also, find it amusing that your trailer boasts 100% original Doom gameplay, while you show footage of you playing with mouselook.

Well, mouselook is a feature of the port. If you really want to be nitpicky you should say that playing through ZDoom and derived ports cannot offer original gameplay at all by definition because many aspects of internal mechanics are different in the ports and in original Doom ;) Also it helps to point out that GZDoom is the most suited port. Trailer are never completely honest too, of course.

I would like to put HD sprites in a different wad so that people don't need to use them. But I cannot do that because they have to be defined in the weapons code and thus have to be present in the same wad as weapons, otherwise that would produce errors. I cannot replace original sprites with HD ones directly because they would show up in HUD taking huge amount of space unless you're using alternative hud (which not all people do).

You're right about SSG shells. Their falling location was varied but the variation was too low. I improved it a little. See below.

UPD:

Wad updated to 6.0.2
* Blood pools are now limited to the amount of 50. They start despawning starting from the earlies one when more appear. Helps to conserve memory.
* SSG shells falling position is more varied
* Some small fixes in weapons original/alternative sounds
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.2

Postby Slax » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:25 am

Dunno, man. More cluttered than beautiful.
Slax
Saucy.

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:29 am

Slax wrote:Dunno, man. More cluttered than beautiful.

I didn't really add anything except a few pickup sprites.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Zhs2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:
Zhs2 wrote:The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(

I don't really play multiplayer much so the feedback about multiplayer bugs would be much appreciated. But do you know why exactly they don't work? These custom inventories give you the same keys, not different items. I thought they should work just fine.

In the sense that you can pick them up and they are added to your inventory, they do work. However, in multiplayer only one person can pick them up because after they are run over they are removed from the map - hence 'broken', because three different people can pick up three different keys and potentially become trapped behind doors they don't have keys to because they couldn't pick up the original items for themselves, if the levels are built in such a way.

I made the same exact personal edit (to BD_INV in BDoom_Objects.wad) in your last build of DBeauty up on idgames, but in the interest of making it official I'll include the code here. (I also had no idea you still existed to complain about this to!)
Spoiler: Key Decorate

Not huge changes, but a behavioral change that's much appreciated nonetheless!
Zhs2
Power of three.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.3

Postby Kombine » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Another bug to report: The SSG primary fire uses 1 shell instead of 2 now.
Kombine
Scream Bloody Gibs

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.3

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:42 am

Thanks a lot! I didn't know that this was how it worked. I'm fixing it right now.
Please check it out and let me know if it works now!

Kombine wrote:Another bug to report: The SSG primary fire uses 1 shell instead of 2 now.

You're right. That's very silly of me. I changed SSG code a little (that was in order to implement the use of both original and new sounds) and forgot to fix ammo
use.

I uploaded version 6.0.4.
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods