[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FireSeraphim

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b05 - Valiant patch released!

Post by FireSeraphim »

A quirky idea just occurred to me: What about a compatibility patch for Action Doom for both main Contra Doom mod and the music mod? I think it would be fun and worthwhile to play through Action Doom with actual Contra Weapons and it would fix Action Doom's main problem of not having a Contra styled respawn system.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

FireSeraphim wrote:A quirky idea just occurred to me: What about a compatibility patch for Action Doom for both main Contra Doom mod and the music mod? I think it would be fun and worthwhile to play through Action Doom with actual Contra Weapons and it would fix Action Doom's main problem of not having a Contra styled respawn system.
I Agree with you, Fireseraphim, it's my dream to play Action Doom with Contra Doom on it!
say, Parachute weapons?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i bet it's possible if we can find and replace it.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Only problem is, I'm not sure how the lives system is going to work with the boat scene.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Just gut the game and rebuild it using contra stuff. It would make it actually playable :P
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

wait, you mean it is legally possible to mix this mod with action doom? with your permission to do, of course.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

You can repurpose anything I've made. I think it would be awesome to see the Original Action Doom using the mechanics of this mod. It would actually make the mod better.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

well, beed? what do you want to say about this? it's honorable, if you tell me.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

In the future, I will probably go and make a special campaign sort of thing, with its own enemies and bosses.
Tekmon_Xonic

Post by Tekmon_Xonic »

Hey, I just checked out this mod, and I frickin love it! I'm a huge fan of both contra and metal slug. So I felt right at home playing this mod.

I of course enabled the life meter so I could take a few hits before dying. Since doom has a health system, I felt it would be appropriate instead of taking one hit. True fact! I played all the way to Glaice's Version of Map 7: Dead Simple in Doom 2 on ultra violence, and I only died once (With the health system of course.) Hee hee, I kept commenting to myself "Yep, I think playing contra and metal slug a few times is why I'm doing so well here."

One of the things I love about this mod, is the play style. I was a lot more strategic and reserved than I usually am. I'd peek in an out of walls, columns, and corners using them as cover. I used the spread shot for enemies in large groups and up close, and I used the laser shot to take down tougher enemies up close, and snipe foes from afar. I would also set up defensive spots to fall back to in the event of being overwhelmed by enemy fire.

There where several times I found myself surrounded and caught in enemy fire. This is when I'd save my super bombs, so when I was in a pinch or sticky situation, I would set them off, and give me some breathing room. The point I actually died was on Glaice's Version of Map 5: The Waste Tunnels. When you grab the red key card, and the monster closet in the water area opens, I was killed off by some Barons and Revs while making a mad dash for the stimpak to give myself that one extra life point.

Aside from that, I was racking up points, collecting extra lives, and just overall having a good time, and this is for a beta too. Which is absolutely wonderful and crazy cool. Great job so far, and I'm looking forward to more updates. Keep 'em coming man! :)
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Glad you like it!

Haven't been making real progress on this, sadly. However, I can say that I've finally replaced the shotgun. I decided to use nickcaibua's edit to mike12's assault rilfe. It looks fantastic in-game!

Pretty much the things I need to do is finish replacing the sounds with the ones from the newer sounds file, add a new ending screen showing your score, and maybe replace the inter pic.
Tekmon_Xonic

Post by Tekmon_Xonic »

Oh I love, and I'll probably play it extensively.

That's good that you've found a replacement for the shotgun. A lot of the older contra games used a similar rifle sprite through the games in the series, so that rifle would be ideal.

As for the level end screen. I would love to hear my points rack up after every round. That's always so satisfying to hear. (BleaBleaBleaBleaBleaBleaBleaBleaBleaBleeep!)

Still, even though this is a beta and wip, its already amazing, and I'm looking forward to future updates, so like I said. Keep 'em coming! :D
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

This is an awesome gameplay mod could you mak a patch for lazs wolfendoom mods?
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Depends. I haven't played Wolfendoom so I wouldn't count on one yet.

Incidentally, I need to actually get around to finishing some polishing up on b06, which features Heretic support, and more. In the meantime, here's a preview of a newly added super weapon:
Spoiler:
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Beed28 wrote:Depends. I haven't played Wolfendoom so I wouldn't count on one yet.

Incidentally, I need to actually get around to finishing some polishing up on b06, which features Heretic support, and more. In the meantime, here's a preview of a newly added super weapon:
Spoiler:
Cool! this mod is not dead yet!
what about the sounds? is it polished too?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”