Nerves of Steel Remake v2.4

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Nerves of Steel Remake v2.4

Post by ImpieTwo »

EDIT: GET IT HERE

OVERVIEW
In this two-fisted, white-knuckled remake, you alone must stop the forces of Aniki and his Red Moon Faction, to bring peace and safety to the world. Choose your agent and dive into one of three bloody episodes filled with guns, terrorists, booby traps, and more guns! Stomp out the evil threatening humanity like a true 80's action hero! Bring a friend along for two-player mayhem!

WAIT...DID YOU SAY "REMAKE?"
Nerves of Steel was a DOS shooter released by Rainmaker Software in 1995. It was quite possibly the worst FPS of all time: hideous bargain-bin graphics, game-breaking glitches, and utterly random map design right down to the textures. Anyone masochistic enough to swim through this ugly mess of digital diarrhea resurfaced as a different person. It has been known to convert devout Muslims to atheism, induce nightmares in children, and inspire suicidal thoughts in clowns.
This video speaks for itself:

I hated the game so much that I decided to remake it with the Doom engine, purely to spite Rainmaker Software for having the audacity to unleash such a travesty of game design on the market, let alone ask money for it. This is the result of my efforts, which is hopefully a better game than the original.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Valken

Re: Nerves of Steel Remake WIP

Post by Valken »

Looks awesome... Can't wait to play it... Isn't that the theme from Duke Nukem 3D in the Nerves of Steel of video on the bottom?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

ImpieTwo wrote:Nerves of Steel was a DOS shooter released by Rainmaker Software in 1995. It was quite possibly the worst FPS of all time: hideous bargain-bin graphics, game-breaking glitches, and utterly random map design right down to the textures. Anyone masochistic enough to swim through this ugly mess of digital diarrhea resurfaced as a different person. It has been known to convert devout Muslims to atheism, induce nightmares in children, and inspire suicidal thoughts in clowns.
It sounds nice. :wink:
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Rainmaker? They made Isle of the Dead, haha!
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Rainmaker? They made Isle of the Dead, haha!
The sad part? That was their FIRST game. This is the game they made when they allegedly knew what they were doing.
Valken wrote:Looks awesome... Can't wait to play it... Isn't that the theme from Duke Nukem 3D in the Nerves of Steel of video on the bottom?
Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown to be precise. There are three tracks in the original NoS, and they play on "shuffle" and get annoying real fast, so I used different music for the longplay. By the time I decided to do the remake, I was attached to the soundtrack, so I used it in this project also.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I have the original dos game, never played it.Very much looking forward to this looks like fun. :)
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Hmm this looks interesting can't wait to play it when it is finished.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Odd that someone brought this game up before, back in 2010. Even weirder is the fact that he wanted the assets for use in Doom. Even Angst had prettier assets than this piece of shit.

Anyway Episode 3 is half done, but slower-going than the other eps, partly because the original game's third episode was quite literally thrown together with a ton of lazy copy-pasting. Trying to make something interesting out of that is a creative challenge, but also hard as balls.
ImpieTwo

Re: Nerves of Steel Remake (Playtesting)

Post by ImpieTwo »

For anyone who cares, Version 1 is finished. Includes the zip file containing everything required to run the game (just drag it onto zdoom) and the pdf instruction manual.

Detailed feedback is requested and appreciated, since this is only version 1.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Could I request that you not use KEYCONF to declare the playerclasses?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Played a little bit of it and I really enjoy it so far. I did notice some inconsistencies with the doors in the third episode, first level (just randomly chose that episode). Some slide, some open like normal doors. Also, the sound when you drop sounds like it should only play from a high fall but plays even from a very short drop. Otherwise I love this mod/partial conversion. The music is great. :wink:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Didn't even realize I'd used both the Gameinfo and Keyconf versions. I must've been on autopilot or something.

Fixing the download in the next few minutes. Removed Keyconf from classes, made doors more consistent in Ep3, and hopefully fixed it so when you run out of ammo for your guns you switch to the bayonet instead of grenades.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they only had the one landing sound for those character voices. I considered using the "push" sound for it as well, but I think it's kind of funny that they sound so angry about falling only a few inches.

EDIT 2: Dammit, I missed the doors on E3M3. I'll replace them when I apply the next edit, assuming anyone has further notes.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Wow. Was the original made with that old Pie in the Sky FPS Creator? I remember playing a demo for that and it looked pretty similar to this :mrgreen:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

durbdoogle wrote:Wow. Was the original made with that old Pie in the Sky FPS Creator? I remember playing a demo for that and it looked pretty similar to this :mrgreen:
Nope. That engine was actually functional.

I forgot to mention: all the maps have been set to allow two-player co-op, but none have been tested for it yet.
Big C

Post by Big C »

ImpieTwo wrote: I forgot to mention: all the maps have been set to allow two-player co-op, but none have been tested for it yet.
Careful now, you don't want anyone accusing you of encouraging assisted suicide. :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”