+ROLLSPRITES backport

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

+ROLLSPRITES backport

Post by Nash »

This OpenGL-only feature from GLOOME will rotate the 2D sprite when the actor's roll is changed. Useful for smoke and fire sprites like in the Unreal Engine.This implementation is flawed, please see take 2
Last edited by Nash on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: +ROLLSPRITES backport

Post by Major Cooke »

Strange, I was able to fork GZDoom and ZDoom, it's just you need to use something like SourceTree to do it. If you need help in that department, let me know.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you want to fork both, do it locally ('git pull') and then commit to an empty Github repo.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote:If you want to fork both, do it locally ('git pull') and then commit to an empty Github repo.
I don't understand. Elaborate?
kevans91

Post by kevans91 »

Nash wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:If you want to fork both, do it locally ('git pull') and then commit to an empty Github repo.
I don't understand. Elaborate?
Basically:

1.) clone the source zdoom and gzdoom repositories locally
2.) Create your own zdoom and gzdoom repositories on Github (not 'forked,' but as if they are your own)
3.) Push your local copies of zdoom and gzdoom to their respective new repositories
Nash

Post by Nash »

I vaguely remember trying that earlier this year and the problem was when trying to send a PR to the official repos, it just didn't work (like the source trees were incompatible or something)... I'll try that again later, thanks for the tip.
kevans91

Post by kevans91 »

Nash wrote:I vaguely remember trying that earlier this year and the problem was when trying to send a PR to the official repos, it just didn't work (like the source trees were incompatible or something)... I'll try that again later, thanks for the tip.
Ahh, my apologies, that may entirely be intended behavior. I seem to recall now that when I've tried it in the past, Github would only let me issue pull requests for other repositories within the same 'family tree'. If that is the case, then I would probably "officially" (GitHub Official) fork the one that you intend to work on the most, and then do the above method for the other. Even if you can't actually submit a formal pull request, it will make things a whole lot easier as you can 'fetch' the latest copy of gzdoom and diff it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I found out that it indeed does not work before I read your post. :P Well I am still looking to do it with PRs so if anyone can assist me it would be much appreciated. Sending one PR at a time (first for ZDoom, then for GZDoom) doesn't make sense because the ZDoom portion doesn't do anything (merely just makes ZDoom not crash from the unknown +ROLLSPRITES flag name, no other functionality) so if let's say the ZDoom portion gets merged but then the GZDoom portion gets rejected, then one would have to revert the ZDoom portion which is just unnecessary workload.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@Nash
Make a new branch in your existing GZDoom repo then rebase (or whatever is the name of the command...) it to ZDoom's master branch. Do your work as normal. When submitting the pull request, it should let you choose if you want to do it for GZDoom's repo or ZDoom's.
This is how I do pull requests for ZDoom.
Nash

Post by Nash »

phantombeta wrote:@Nash
Make a new branch in your existing GZDoom repo then rebase (or whatever is the name of the command...) it to ZDoom's master branch. Do your work as normal. When submitting the pull request, it should let you choose if you want to do it for GZDoom's repo or ZDoom's.
This is how I do pull requests for ZDoom.
Can you give me step-by-step instructions using TortoiseGit. There are a billion things to click in the right-click menu and I'm just confused.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I don't use TortoiseGit, so... *shrugs*
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I suggest SourceTree. I can teach you how to use that.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh my god, this feature would be awesome
Nash

Post by Nash »

Guess anyone who's interested in using this will just have to wait. The rules didn't say forum code submissions are forbidden so unless that rule changes (or unless someone can help me do it without installing additional software than I already have)... ¯\(°_o)/¯

EDIT: can I just send a pull request for GZDoom then. The ZDoom changes can be backported easily, it's just adding 1 line in actor.h and thingdef_data.cpp. Super trivial stuff.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/pull/377
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/27

Okay, that was quite a bit more/less difficult than I expected.

Nash, can I show you how?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”