RH-LOG.TXT question (clipping midtextures)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

RH-LOG.TXT question (clipping midtextures)

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just discovered this line:

Code: Select all

- Added support for clipping midtextures on all lines, because I think Strife
  looks better that way. (Even though it looks like Strife does not do this.)
Does this mean that ZDoom can now properly clip mid textures to the actual floor and ceiling?
Since I couldn't find anything in the code for this except that it is explicitly set when Strife is being played, could you make this a MAPINFO flag? If that was available it could greatly reduce the amount of maps that have to hack around this limitation. I think it would be greatly appreciated.
Mr. Tee

Post by Mr. Tee »

Yeah... That and a semi-solid midtexture (i.e. one you can jump over, so making fences would be a snap) with a parameter for user-defined height would be awesome!
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Dunno if it applies:

Code: Select all

+// [RH] Extra flags for Strife compatibility
+// The first set are as they exist in Strife maps.
+// The second set are what they get translated into.
+#define ML_TRANSLUCENT_STRIFE		0x1000
+#define ML_RAILING_STRIFE			0x0200
+#define ML_BLOCK_FLOATERS_STRIFE	0x0400
+
+#define ML_RAILING					0x20000
+#define ML_BLOCK_FLOATERS			0x40000
+#define ML_CLIP_MIDTEX				0x80000	// Automatic for every Strife line
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, it's ML_CLIP_MIDTEX, but there is no way to set it except by playing Strife. But I think it might be as useful to have it for Doom as well and a MAPINFO option seems to be the most useful way to do it.
I don't think that many mappers like the current way and I haven't seen many maps that use it well. The only release coming to mind is Phobos:Anomaly Reborn and even that doesn't really look that good...

@Mr. Tee: Your suggestion would be something like Eternity's 3DMIDTEX lines. An implementation of that feature shouldn't be too hard - at least for non-moving ones. This gets interesting when you can attach them to moving sectors. The stuff you could make with that is quite interesting and I'd really like to see it in ZDoom.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bump!

Any further information?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

So, does that mean, that you actually don't need any 3D Bridge things if using these flags?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. That would be Eternity's 3DMIDTEX flag. It has been defined in the header but not been implemented.

This CLIP_MIDTEX, as far as I understand it clips parts of the texture that go below the floor or above the ceiling. Since currently there are inelegant workarounds required it makes sense IMO to find a way to set this flag by some means (e.g. MAPINFO - I really don't see any use for doing this selectively.)

As for the 3DMIDTEX stuff, yes, that would make bridge things obsolete in many occasions. As long as you don't add support for attaching these lines to a sector (which Eternity supports) the implementation only requires a small amount of code in one or two places.

When moving these texture gets involved the matter gets a little complicated though.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Zahl - Okay, thx for the words :)

Return to “General”