[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Damnit, and I had whipped up a nice titlepic too...
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

alright, i have decided on the titlemap. its gonna r0xz0r!

now a really serious note

could somebody please look into CameraFadeTo()? why do i not have it yet? is it not possible? does nobody want to write it? whats the deal? seriously. i want a reason! please, graf, randy. please look into it. it doesnt seem too hard and i would get TONS of use out of it, i mean seriously... please... :(

man, that was pathetic... but i REALLY want it bad...
Risen

Post by Risen »

For now, I think you could use camera textures to fake it.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I think my skydoor/skybox trick would work better. A camera texture would be uber blocky.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Chris wrote:I think my skydoor/skybox trick would work better.
It wouldn't fade at all.

A camera texture is only as blocky as you make it (though admittedly it would need to be quite a high resolution to match the screen)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

SHHHH! SHHHH! if somebody finds an ineffecient hacky way to do it, then real support will NEVER happen
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I wrote:I think my skydoor/skybox trick would work better.
It wouldn't fade at all.
The way I understand what they want CameraFadeTo is to have the original image, and to use the screen wipe method (melt, burn, x-fade, etc) to a new one (durring which, they game would probably be frozen). The skybox/skydoor would "overwrite" the old image with the new (as if the old image were on the upper texture of a door with the unpegged texture flag). You could actually use a door (so it "fades" up), a lift (so it "fades" down), or perhaps even a polyobject (so it "fades" sideways).. though I'm not sure if the latter is actually possible.

Yes, I'd prefer to have an actual CameraFadeTo function (assuming the game pause problem could be worked out, lest you cause sync errors in multi-player), but if you need one now, I think a camera texture would be pretty poor.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Chris wrote:I think a camera texture would be pretty poor.
I've just tried it, and visually it works quite well. The only problem is performance; there's a notable hit when the area is complex and there's a lot going on.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

um, camerafadeto() would be just like regualr fadeto() except it would work while viewing a camera you know, it would fade the screen to the specified color...

you guys are thinking of CameraTransition() :)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Bio Hazard wrote:um, camerafadeto() would be just like regualr fadeto() except it would work while viewing a camera you know, it would fade the screen to the specified color...

you guys are thinking of CameraTransition() :)
...except when your camera texture is in a sector with colored fog.
Last edited by Risen on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

why not?

fadeto() fades the whole pallette to a given color. everything would fade
Risen

Post by Risen »

What I meant was that if you put the camera texture in a sector and use lighting (or fog, for other colors) then view that instead, you can duplicate the effect. You can also get some pretty neat effects with colored lights, which I will be using for the intermap.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

oh i see now...

i still want camfadeto()

ive got another request, i want to force turn off all the hud stuff (statbar, crosshair, whatever) too bad that will never happen... :\

(man risen, you are still up? sorry i havent been online today, i'm working late tonight)
Risen

Post by Risen »

If you use a camera texture of the players' view and draw it to the screen, you can do so on top of the other HUD stuff. Again, a hack, but it works.

With so many good ideas, it is going to be very difficult for me to not overuse this feature.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

What's taking this project so long! :D.

:twisted:

Return to “Levels”