Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons (WoS Mod) [v1.02] - July 9, 2015

Post by faslrn »

Quick, crappy updates:

JULY 9 [v1.02]
  • Baron has a chance to throw a plasma ball that detonates after 1.5 seconds that causes massive damage
  • This is still in it's testing phase to see if I can improve the attack in any way
JULY 8 [v1.01]
  • Bug fixes for the fancy smoke option
  • Combat rifle's first shot will always be 100% accurate, holding down fire causes all other shots to be slightly less accurate
  • Slight speed increase to the Pinkie's charge
  • Pinkie will slide along walls when charging, making them charge more effectively
  • Pinkie will NOT enter pain state while charging now
Plus I am working on getting alternate deaths cooked up for all the enemies (not extreme, gib flying deaths) when certain circumstances are met. An example might be shooting a rocket into the mouth of a Caco when it is open.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

I LOVE the Caco death idea!! Quick thought, would custom death animations prevent the Ketchup mod from working ? Also how is the trailer going? :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Skrell wrote:I LOVE the Caco death idea!! Quick thought, would custom death animations prevent the Ketchup mod from working ? Also how is the trailer going? :)
The ketchup mod won't be affected! Basically I will just add a new section in the mod to spew out more gore but it will still work.

Trailer is going... uh, okay so far. Problem is just finding time at home to get footage and throw it all together. Might get it done something in the next week or so and make it funny to make up for the lack of video editing skills I have.
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

I'm getting a decorating error on the Ketchup version of it. I just downloaded GZdoom 2.0.05, is it for a specific version?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

USSRBear wrote:I'm getting a decorating error on the Ketchup version of it. I just downloaded GZdoom 2.0.05, is it for a specific version?
What is the error?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

USSRBear wrote:I'm getting a decorating error on the Ketchup version of it. I just downloaded GZdoom 2.0.05, is it for a specific version?
I only get an error (using the files currently on dropbox) if my load order is:
  1. Ketchup-Faspons.pk3
  2. Faspons[v1_02].pk3
Instead of (this way is correct):
  1. Faspons[v1_02].pk3
  2. Ketchup-Faspons.pk3
Average

Post by Average »

Hiya again. I've been messing around trying out Faspons with all the IWADs and a whole bunch of PWADS. The crash issues I was having seem to be with the Sunlust WAD itself though I'm not sure why. While playing with that WAD another isssue arose whereby the minigun would just stop working sometimes. It would have ammo in it but it just wouldn't fire as if empty. This happened with both the reload option on and off. I'm not sure whether to report this issue to the dev of Sunlust as the issue only happens with Faspons... there again, Sunlust is supposed to be Boom compatible and I can't see any changes to the weapons in that WAD... Hmmm. *confused*

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the extra challenge while playing with Faspons. It's given the IWADs a new lease of life. :)

I do have one small thing I'd like to point out though. The sound of the Shotgun Guys' guns don't change over distance. The guns are always loud and in your face, even if they are placed far across the map. It's pretty disorientating trying to pinpoint where they're shooting from! The issue only seems to be with the Shotgun guys... :)

I also have another couple of suggestions. They're purely aesthetic so feel free to just ignore me!

I really like the new explosions from the RPG. However, they don't really match the explosions from the barrels. If it were me, I would change the barrel explosions to better match (perhaps the Duke Nukem barrel explosions as seen in Smooth Doom or Cosmetic Doom?).

The other suggestion is to use this HUD as a HUD replacement instead of the Ultimate Doom Visor thingy:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=771128#p771128

My reason for suggesting it is that the above visor is done in lower resolution with nice chunky pixels. I just think it's more in keeping with the pixelly Doom look... I suppose you'd have to add a grenade counter to it though...

Like I say, purely aesthetic so take my suggestion with as much interest as you like! :)

EDIT: Just adding more info. :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Average wrote:Hiya again. I've been messing around trying out Faspons with all the IWADs and a whole bunch of PWADS. The crash issues I was having seem to be with the Sunlust WAD itself though I'm not sure why. While playing with that WAD another isssue arose whereby the minigun would just stop working sometimes. It would have ammo in it but it just wouldn't fire as if empty. This happened with both the reload option on and off. I'm not sure whether to report this issue to the dev of Sunlust as the issue only happens with Faspons... there again, Sunlust is supposed to be Boom compatible and I can't see any changes to the weapons in that WAD... Hmmm. *confused*
I will look into this a bit further on my desktop at home. See if I can replicate this. I only tried with my work PC (same GZDoom and Faspons versions though).
Average wrote: I have to say that I'm really enjoying the extra challenge while playing with Faspons. It's given the IWADs a new lease of life. :)
Average wrote: I do have one small thing I'd like to point out though. The sound of the Shotgun Guys' guns don't change over distance. The guns are always loud and in your face, even if they are placed far across the map. It's pretty disorientating trying to pinpoint where they're shooting from! The issue only seems to be with the Shotgun guys... :)
I will see if I can figure out what is going on here and patch it up.
Average wrote: I also have another couple of suggestions. They're purely aesthetic so feel free to just ignore me!

I really like the new explosions from the RPG. However, they don't really match the explosions from the barrels. If it were me, I would change the barrel explosions to better match (perhaps the Duke Nukem barrel explosions as seen in Smooth Doom or Cosmetic Doom?).

The other suggestion is to use this HUD as a HUD replacement instead of the Ultimate Doom Visor thingy:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=771128#p771128

My reason for suggesting it is that the above visor is done in lower resolution with nice chunky pixels. I just think it's more in keeping with the pixelly Doom look... I suppose you'd have to add a grenade counter to it though...

Like I say, purely aesthetic so take my suggestion with as much interest as you like! :)
For the barrels and rockets, I kept them the way it is because I always thought to myself "the barrels are just full of a liquid that is highly volatile compared to a rocket made to explode and cause damage" which would be a reason why you would see the different explosions.

For this hud, I can check to see if I can make a quick patch for it. If it is similar to the Ultimate DOOM Visor HUD where I have to make a quick add-on, should be simple enough. If not, will have to make a weird patch for it to get everything looking and functioning okay.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Average wrote:Hiya again. I've been messing around trying out Faspons with all the IWADs an....
Do you have any pics of this HUD? Can it be used with vanilla gzdoom?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Skrell wrote:
Average wrote:Hiya again. I've been messing around trying out Faspons with all the IWADs an....
Do you have any pics of this HUD? Can it be used with vanilla gzdoom?
Quick pic:

There are versions without the mugshot as well.
Average

Post by Average »

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply and thanks for posting the above picture for Skrell. Looking forward to seeing your next release. :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Average wrote:Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply and thanks for posting the above picture for Skrell. Looking forward to seeing your next release. :)
You're welcome :)

I added a small update that I had a chance to work on since work has died down a bit:

JULY 15 [v1.03]
  • Removed the Baron's exploding plasma ball and replaced it with a 4-piece rotating set that rips and tears through you and enemies. Don't get too close.
  • Possibly fixed issue with zombie shotgun sounds being at full volume when firing
  • Archvile's fire column attack can no longer jump up/down stupidly high heights
Compatibility with the Doom Nukem hud is coming soon. Still working on getting sprites for the alternate deaths.

Also in the pipeline is this idea: when the player kills monsters in a certain way, other monsters around can become fearful (will try it out with the imps first and branch it out from there). The reason why I am thinking of this is because I think of the Imps like this: they are primitive and deadly but can still feel fear. They don't know what the DOOMGUY is capable of and if they see him being brutal, powerful, and deadly (like some of the larger monsters in hell), they will cower.
faslrn

Re: Faspons (WoS Mod) [v1.04] - July 17, 2015

Post by faslrn »

Another update:

JULY 17 [v1.04]
  • Baron revamped again. Removed the spinning plasma and added a last stand mode when losing ~30% heath
    • Fires projectiles more often
    • Throws more projectiles
    • Faster animations
    • Sparkles!
  • Archvile can now switch between his normal attack and the fire column if the player does get in the proper range
  • Pinkie won't charge when too close to the player
  • Imps can feel fear. Some Imps however, are more brave than others.
    • Generate "Adrenaline" by killing monsters (bigger = more), gibbing them in specific ways (XDeath/Plasma = more).
    • Once you hit a specific amount, Imps can be scared of you. (No visual amount on HUD yet)
    • I will expand on this feature more to affect some other monsters behaviour.
I also added a PK3 for the DOOM Nukem Hud in the dropbox under the folder Doom Nukem Visor Hud. Load it AFTER Faspons.pk3.

Plus the Ketchup mod has been updated to include the adrenaline change.
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

I've provided Snailbullet compatibility for Faspons mod: http://depositfiles.com/files/6d7g28zcu
and my Dark Doom Creatures: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48949

Enjoy everyone. You can include the mutators in your next release if you'd like.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Average

Post by Average »

Firstly, thanks so much for adding support for the Doom Nukem HUD. I really do think it fits Doom's style a little better than the Ultimate Doom Visor... Do you intend to tweak it at all (grenade counter, better aligned ammo counter, perhaps even an option to choose which, if any, face is displayed)?

I should also let you know that the issue with the sound positioning seems to have something to do with the crappiness known as OpenAL. After switching to Fmod EX the problem went away...

Also, just curious if you've thought any more with regards to monster idle animations... :)

Anyway, I'm still enjoying your mod. Thank you. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”