June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

Post by wildweasel »

Sarkeesian is hardly relevant anymore. She's only jumping on the bandwagon because she can. She's not worth paying any attention to, or her detractors. In fact, best keep your distance from the entire thing.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

At least she doesn't wave giant plastic signs with homophobic remarks written in big black letters. :P

Anyways, who's up for making a Doom 4-styled weapons mod based on what's shown so far?
Big C

Post by Big C »

MJ79 wrote:At least she doesn't wave giant plastic signs with homophobic remarks written in big black letters. :P

Anyways, who's up for making a Doom 4-styled weapons mod based on what's shown so far?
Sounds like a plan. I really liked that micromissile pod weapon.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

At least their group is exposing their true colors, they insist they're nothing like Jack Thompson but, if anything, they seem to make Jack Thompson look reasonable in comparison. At least Jack Thompson was only paranoid about kids getting M rated games, Anita would have M rated games stop being made completely if she actually managed to get her way.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I really kind of wish people could leave GG and FemFreq out of the forums here. I personally find most of FF to be alright and I disagree on a few points, but the vitriol and grandstanding associated with that stuff is old. Yes, she said that the amount of gore/violence in the new Doom was creepy, considering how much at the forefront of gaming it is. To be honest, I can somewhat see the point after thinking on it for a while. It's not so much saying that Doom shouldn't exist, just that it's prominence is weird in a medium that a lot of people are trying to claim is "maturing". YMMV as far as that is concerned, but I can see where the sentiment is coming from.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Scripten wrote:I really kind of wish people could leave GG and FemFreq out of the forums here. I personally find most of FF to be alright and I disagree on a few points, but the vitriol and grandstanding associated with that stuff is old. Yes, she said that the amount of gore/violence in the new Doom was creepy, considering how much at the forefront of gaming it is. To be honest, I can somewhat see the point after thinking on it for a while. It's not so much saying that Doom shouldn't exist, just that it's prominence is weird in a medium that a lot of people are trying to claim is "maturing". YMMV as far as that is concerned, but I can see where the sentiment is coming from.
Hey, I WAS giving her a lot of benefit of the doubt before the DooM 4 example. It's just with that one she was so obviously missing the 'point' of DooM that I decided that she couldn't possibly be doing this out of the benefit of her own heart anymore, when I combined that with the accusations of her having more Kickstarter money than she could possibly be spending on the FF episodes, given their visible budget.

A bridge too far, mate. A bridge too far.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Big C wrote: Hey, I WAS giving her a lot of benefit of the doubt before the DooM 4 example. It's just with that one she was so obviously missing the 'point' of DooM that I decided that she couldn't possibly be doing this out of the benefit of her own heart anymore, when I combined that with the accusations of her having more Kickstarter money than she could possibly be spending on the FF episodes, given their visible budget.

A bridge too far, mate. A bridge too far.
Sorry, wasn't exactly referring to your post, though I would suggest thinking over the tweet a bit more before getting too angry. While I disagree with her and assert that Doom deserves a place in the forefront of gaming due both to its legacy and how fun the series has generally been, consider how people might react if something like... I dunno, slasher films were the most prominent variety of movie, for example? Obviously, the two mediums are different, but I can understand frustration about the fact that mainstream games rarely do well without high bodycounts and, in Doom's case, an excess of violence. I doubt her tweet was specifically trying to remove Doom from publication as much as it was trying to point out that we gamers do have a preoccupation with violence. Personally, I think it was written poorly and that the sentiment is misplaced, but I can see why she would post what she did.

That being said, I also just don't think that she's important enough to get angry about.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Some of those games have the same amount of violence that was showed in the recent Doom trailer. You can stab, tear apart and in some cases rip the guts of your enemies in God Of War, explode enemy heads with gun fire, stomps and even straight punches in Resident Evil 5, saw your enemies in a half in Gears of War and perform some gruesome, gory and grotesque finishing moves in Mortal Kombat. Not to mention the rape scene in F.E.A.R. 2 (while the one depicted in the picture is the third game, but it still counts i guess), the child killer in Heavy Rain, the adult themes of Metal Gear Solid... violent themes weren't supposed to be something new or shocking to her. Unless, of course, she never had actually played any of those games and she's only posing as a gamer to look cool.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

It's easy to tell that she has no passion for the medium whatsoever, her descriptions of games sound like something she ripped from Wikipedia and she even used other Youtubers' gameplay footage without their permission, trying to pass it off as her own.

Anyway, back on the subject of Doom. I wonder if power-ups will be making a return, such as the Berserk Pack and the Invulnerability Sphere.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I dont think berserk is coming back on this one, there are no fists that i can see other than the finishers
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Big, heavy and sturdy power armor, you either have a superfist by default or have issues moving your arms.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

You can see the soulsphere in one of the screenshots.
Boreas249

Post by Boreas249 »

Hmm... I wanna talk monster design. Kinda a big thing for me.

The Hell Knights actually scare me now with how quickly they move. Exciting. Plus they're similar to the DooM 3 design. Awesome, awesome!

I'm liking the looks of some of the other demons as well, it's kinda like they went in between designs for the original DooM games and DooM 3.
The Cacodemons, for instance, look a lot better.
I haven't fully seen the Pinky though, but I feel like I may be disappointed on them... I quite liked their DooM 3 appearance.

The new Cyberdemon I'm having mixed feelings about. Not quite what I imagined, not too intimidating to me either. But pretty cool nonetheless.

I dunno why, the original design (the VERY original design) has always been the most intimidating and coolest design to me. Maybe that's just me or...?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I am strangely a fan of nearly every redesign done in doom 64.

Return to “Off-Topic”