Wall portals

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

Re: Wall portals

Post by Nash »

Tormentor667 wrote:Image

^ I want someone to make this map when this gets merged into mainstream. :D Would play the fuck out of this map. XD
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Escher Deathmatch.

Anyways, I'm just glad to see that this is still being worked on, non-euclidean space here we come. Wooo...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Setting aside allthe deliberate mind-meltery, what I'd really want from this feature is the ability to make multi-story maps that AI can navigate properly, but aren't a nightmare to stack. (NoiseAlert propagation is also a consideration here!)
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Thought about this again today after playing Elite: Dangerous. Would be cool to make a small space colony that loops into itself like a circle.

http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/upl ... cellus.jpg
Gez

Post by Gez »

Would be even better if the portals were at an angle to give the illusion the corridor is curving like a ring, but that one is probably not going to be possible. ;)
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Also, wall portals could be used to very easily make complex multi-story buildings/structures without having to fumble around with 3D floors or dealing with the limitations of silent teleporters.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

That's outweighed by the performance cost though. It can become potentially framerate-eating if you do it that way versus using 3D floors. Then you'll have monsters checking through quite a number of portals depending on how many portals are between them. The more there are, the more calculations are needed.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Wha...what sorcery is this? Is this software mode only? Or will it work in GZdoom as well?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rendering a portal is not hard. But I won't do any work on that unless this is ready.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Given that I'm working on the collision part quite slowly, I've made a separate branch from the visual part of the code, merged it with the current master branch and made a pull request with it.
IMO it deserves a separate and earlier pull request than the whole thing since the visual portals can be used in mapping already (even though currently only as windows, but still...), plus there's the new mirror code which enables mirrors on 2-sided lines and doesn't require any space behind them.

I'd say the code is of some relatively good quality compared to the original branch (/portals). Still needs the final word of some of the main developers tho.

P.S. Rendering a portal is actually a bit hard... only in software though lol.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'll have to review this and its implications on GZDoom first. So don't be surprised if it takes some time as I am rather busy with other things at the moment.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Good to see this moving forward, even if it's render-only for now. Thank you for all your efforts!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Can you make a cvar that limits floor/ceiling recursion? I'd really like to have what feels like an almost infinitely falling tube but that's not possible without infinite recursion happening.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Major Cooke wrote:Can you make a cvar that limits floor/ceiling recursion?
An excellent idea.

Unsure what you'd do where you meet the recursion limit, though. Solid black? (Ideally, one would camtex it like Portal does. That sounds difficult in this engine, though.)
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Portal 1 uses black color after set number of recursions you can change in the options menu. Or maybe it's linked to other graphical settings, you can make two portals to make the infinite hallway and it doesn't show any end, but I absolutely definitely saw solid black color in portal sometimes, perhaps it was because I was too far away instead of seeing too many recursions. I don't know how it is in Portal 2, I never noticed it there.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”