Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 revealed.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 revealed.

Post by wildweasel »

I also miss CoD4's hidden cheat codes. Not a single one actually made the game any easier; in fact, a couple of them (like Ragtime Warfare) made the game HARDER. It was always a kick to switch on "A Bad Year" and watch the enemy faction explode into piles of physics-enabled tires when shot.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Making a game harder today is really something. Y'see, since gaming became mainstream thanks to the evolving computerization of everything, many developers made their games deliberately easier just to sell it better. This could have simply been avoided by multiple difficulty selections, like...well....Doom. If someone can't bear "Asian" difficulty, then fine, have an "Easy" one programmed instead of having only "Easy" and solve every possible event with scripting. A little randomization and having at least 2 different difficulties, no big deal IMHO.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Haven't posted on this thread for a while (even though I've started it), but how about replacing difficulty levels with levels of realism (from 'modern' which includes ADS, reloading and regenerating health to 'Classic' which gets rid of all of them)?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Reactor wrote:Meh, who am I trying to fool. Another umpteenth Call of Vérpistike clone,

Bleh. I'm off to play some Tyrian 2000.
there's something funny about bagging on a recycled iteration while going to play a lousy non-canonical recycled cash-in done for promoting Pretzel Pete
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

MJ79 wrote:Haven't posted on this thread for a while (even though I've started it), but how about replacing difficulty levels with levels of realism (from 'modern' which includes ADS, reloading and regenerating health to 'Classic' which gets rid of all of them)?
Cool idea, but the problem becomes rebalancing. If you design some weapons to be inaccurate bullet-hoses unless using ironsights, then removing that handicap requires counterbalancing in a new direction. Same if enemy AI isn't coded to compensate for a player zipping along at 50mph instead of crouch-walking behind cover. Rebalancing ain't trivial, yo. Takes time and money.

8-)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

leileilol wrote: there's something funny about bagging on a recycled iteration while going to play a lousy non-canonical recycled cash-in done for promoting Pretzel Pete
A non-canonical recycled game it may be, but it has technically everything Call of Vérpistike lacks. Long and extensive single-player campaign, fiery action, lots of difficulty settings, unique firearms, tons of secret levels, Easter-Eggs, awesome music, and decent storyline. Yeh, ok, Episode 5 is a disgrace, and there are many scripted events, but it's still superior (except of course, the graphics).
AFAIK, Pretzel Pete was never made.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

IIHC, the new Doom is going to drop the new stuff and be more like its classical incarnations. Albeit with a possible fatality system which I think we know where it comes from.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

I think if they are going to make these games "more like interactive movie" the game should have these things
: 1. A unskippable tutorial level that has nothing to do with the current game story
2. After finishing the game they give you a even harder difficulty( nightmare mode anyone?)
3. you actually have to complete the game on at least the moderate setting before multiplayer gets unlocked
4. For extra multiplayer modes you have to unlock them by playing the campaign
5. Needs secret areas and maybe a water level for the players inconvenience (yay secrets)

Most importantly a mininum of 18 - 36 hours worth of an interesting,actually fun campaign with enough replayability
(You want multiplayer you have to work for it :twisted: )

Thats just my opinion.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Don't kid y'self, nowadays FPS games together doesn't have that many secret areas as Doom E1M1: Hangar has alone. In fact, they don't even give you the opportunity to explore - in better games, they put tons of invisible walls around, in worse games, you suddenly die if y'go to a place the game doesn't want you. The infamous Sudden Death Syndrome. Who the HELL thought that this'll be a good idea!?

Chief developer: Ohh, I'm so tired, I don't wanna draw extra textures, or design side branches, cuz da playerz will demand more side branches then and even secret areas and stuff, gee, secret areas are soooo old-school!
Developer 2: Hey, I know! Let's make the level big an' open alright, and if the player goes some place else than his mission objective, let's kill him on da spot!!!
Chief developer: Okies!
Developer 2: Holy shit, I just found out a shiny new method how to make players give up their habit of lookin' for secrets! I'm a pure fuckin' GENIUS!

The funny thing is, FPS games are not as limited as before. Like, Wolf-3D, where the game couldn't handle more than 400 static objects and 64 doors. So the possibilities are limitless, and yet, the developers simply don't want to exploit this. Even the Red Faction series were short on secret areas, where destroying walls was actually a heavily hyped feature (ZOMG Geo-mod, this iz so awsum!!!). I simply don't understand...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Please. Stop. Typing. Ghetto. For. Fucks. Sake.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Sorry, those were not my lines - this is how many gamers type mostly (or even worse: L33t).

I shall design a level with not less than 40 secret areas, and the player will have to find at least some of them - unless he wishes to fight off hordes of Superdrones and Unstoppables with a dagger...I don't say that every game should have an "AARDWOLF" maze, but 1-2 secrets won't kill anyone.
Last edited by Reactor on Fri May 01, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nash wrote:Please. Stop. Typing. Ghetto. For. Fucks. Sake.
YES. I have told you many times over the last few years to NOT DO THAT. Reactor, I don't care how trendy you think you're being (or who you're "quoting"). Write something that everybody can read, not just the people who are willing to put up with misspelled words. (Hint from a writer: you can affect an accent in your sentences without misspelling or slurring words together. It's all in the choice of words and the structure of sentences. You get me, pal?)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Very well, I already gave up that habit long before :) this was just the purpose for quoting, I didn't plan to use it any further anyways.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Not sure if this is on topic or not but... Halo 5 was revealed: And effectively turned the franchise into a CoD clone btw... ((Iron Sights and all))

Gentlemen, The Great FPS Crash is among us, I'm afraid.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

In this case, the likes of Pirate Doom is a big relief! Actually, even Grezzo...
The same thing have happened to the Red Alert-series. First one was amazing, second one was very good, but the third one...yuck, what is this? A Transformers-Sailor Moon-Red Alert hybrid? Not good.
Usually, continuous sequels ruin the saga after a while with very few exceptions (Doom, Half-life, Commander Keen).

Return to “Off-Topic”