[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Re: [WIP] The Shores of Zdoom

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Is it possible that this episode will see reinterpretations of the console levels from Episode 2 (Hell Gate & Hell's Keep) as part of its enhancements?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Notice to people who plan on reporting this post: it is staying here because it is a legitimate question. Whether the project leads intend on actually answering it is up to them.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

wildweasel wrote:Notice to people who plan on reporting this post: it is staying here because it is a legitimate question. Whether the project leads intend on actually answering it is up to them.
But muh TSoZD experiunce D:

Also, having just played PSX Doom's The Ultimate Doom segment.. I wouldn't mind seeing Hell's Gate and Hell's Keep.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Both Hell Gate and Hell Keep on console dooms are such simple maps with basic architecture that I probably will not miss them. Threshold of Pain though was a fun map.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I recognize those maps, they were also in the GBA version. I can see maybe incorporating parts of them for existing levels but definitely not for full on levels, they felt more like cheap replacements than anything else.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

SamVision wrote:Both Hell Gate and Hell Keep on console dooms are such simple maps with basic architecture that I probably will not miss them. Threshold of Pain though was a fun map.
MetroidJunkie wrote:I recognize those maps, they were also in the GBA version. I can see maybe incorporating parts of them for existing levels but definitely not for full on levels, they felt more like cheap replacements than anything else.
Hence why the key word is "reinterpretation". I mean, you weren't the only 1 here disappointed by the fact that Hell Gate (which would be E2M8 if they include it) was not only unimpressive & small, but, bloody Tartarus, it lacked the CELESTIA-FORSAKEN MATA NUI-DAMN GATE IMPLIED IN THE HIGH HOLY FLYING FEATHERING TITLE. Here, it's just a matter of remaking it in a way that does the name, the gimmick, & the game justice while keeping it recognizable. As far as Hell's keep (Which would be E2M9 if included. This would make Tower of Babel E2M10 & Fortress of Mystery E2M11), I'd recommend looking to the Lost Episode: Evil Unleashed Pwad's reinterpretation of that level, E5M2: Ominous Lair & working from there.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Considering how small Hell Gate was, you could easily implement it into a normal map.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Interestingly I have still access to the development forums here at ZDoom.org but I have the feeling (last post from July 2013) that this is pretty much dead...
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Tormentor667 wrote:Interestingly I have still access to the development forums here at ZDoom.org but I have the feeling (last post from July 2013) that this is pretty much dead...
They switched to an external message board, which was when I lost touch with them because I was never able to gain access.
LCAL799

Post by LCAL799 »

This is dead? or still WIP? :?
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I'm kinda intrested myself aswell to know if this is dead or if this is still moving cause I could possibly give a hand at the mapping incase there's still need for mappers.
But I dont want to waste anyones time if its at halt
Vader

Post by Vader »

Hi,
as I said in a more or less recent thread in 'general', the project definitely isn't dead, but kind of sleeping currently.
Not sure when it will get more attention again, but I hope to get around doing some more work for it in the near future!
Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:Is it possible that this episode will see reinterpretations of the console levels from Episode 2 (Hell Gate & Hell's Keep) as part of its enhancements?
Nope, remaking the PC version maps is already more than enough work :P
Tormentor667 wrote:Interestingly I have still access to the development forums here at ZDoom.org but I have the feeling (last post from July 2013) that this is pretty much dead...
As Nightmare said; we moved to another forum!
They switched to an external message board, which was when I lost touch with them because I was never able to gain access.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that but did wonder about your lack of presence there :?
How are you not able to access and did you talk to esselfortium about that?

Aaaand, just to give you guys something to look at:
Spoiler:
WIP obviously
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

OH YES! VADER IS BACK! Those ceilings looks really nodeamazing.
ledillman

Post by ledillman »

Nice WIP! can't wait to see that area complete :)
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

I'm kind of curious about the music, since the 3DO port of Doom didn't have all the original songs, are you guys going to make the missing songs, or this time the music will be different?

Return to “Levels”