[WIP]Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II v0.52 Beta (March 20)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II

Post by Kizoky »

Peter Bark wrote:ya know, I actually disliked Doom 3 so much that I'll always look at Smiley Head as the official 3rd game.

Will you be making sprites for the chaingun guy?
Of course. I'll replace every monster. Chaingunguy will be a black man with a chaingun, just like in Doom II :P
Archvile will be a Black Metalist with a Guitar damaging you with strings/songs
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:Well, do it! I really enjoyed the first "unofficial" Doom 3, it was satirical and funny enough, though to be honest, it was hard to complete some of the levels overcrowded by monsterz (E3M1: Safari was the hardest), and some areas are badly designed so I had to cheat to get outside, but all in all, not a bad Doom mod. I'd love to see a sequel...oh, and make sure you don't forget the Suburban Slaughter as the big bad boss!

Csináld csak meg, régen ez kibaszottul mókás vicces játék volt :D
There will be multiple bosses, not just one :P
Unofficial sequels are always fun, in my opinion

Roger that.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I think it's OK for some monsters to be cartoon-like characters. At least I wouldn't mind.
For Hell Knight, you could use a yellow Power Ranger, perhaps wit' different death animation. For an Arachnotron replacement, y'should use Hello Kitty shootin' stars from her magic wand. Who wouldn't want to riddle Hello Kitty with bullets? :D

I have no idea how to replace the super-shotgun though.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:I think it's OK for some monsters to be cartoon-like characters. At least I wouldn't mind.
For Hell Knight, you could use a yellow Power Ranger, perhaps wit' different death animation. For an Arachnotron replacement, y'should use Hello Kitty shootin' stars from her magic wand. Who wouldn't want to riddle Hello Kitty with bullets? :D

I have no idea how to replace the super-shotgun though.
Arachnotron as a Hello Kitty? Not a bad idea, actually I couldn't find a cartoon character that would fit as an Arach' role.

Regarding Super Shotgun, and Hell Knight, SSG will stay the same as, the difference is the hand ofc.
Hell Knight is a Red Power Ranger

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Take look at the "Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue" video. I think Hello Kitty with a magic wand could effectivel replace the Arachnotron. I had a Hello Kitty boss in Tristania3D secret level Goodbye Kitty! where everyone's dream came true by ripping Hello Kitty to shreds, whehehehe :D also I have the Hello Kitty walking sound effects from Roller Rescue which can also effectively replace the audible footsteps.

Mancubus may be a big fat Eric Cartman, as he is the renowned fatso in the pop-cult universe (as far as I know). Eric Cartman would say one of his catchphrases before attackin', and then unleash a volley of meatball projectiles, maybe.

Pain Elemental...maybe a Pac-man ghost. After all, Lost Souls were replaced by Pac-mans in Doom 3. If the Lost Souls will stay Pac-mans, then the Pain Elemental must be something which can be connected to the Pac-man series. So a different coloured eyeball won't do it I'm afraid.

Revenant...I have no idea currently.

SS Officer...no idea either, but it must be some kind of Easter Egg-ish enemy.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:Take look at the "Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue" video. I think Hello Kitty with a magic wand could effectivel replace the Arachnotron. I had a Hello Kitty boss in Tristania3D secret level Goodbye Kitty! where everyone's dream came true by ripping Hello Kitty to shreds, whehehehe :D also I have the Hello Kitty walking sound effects from Roller Rescue which can also effectively replace the audible footsteps.

Mancubus may be a big fat Eric Cartman, as he is the renowned fatso in the pop-cult universe (as far as I know). Eric Cartman would say one of his catchphrases before attackin', and then unleash a volley of meatball projectiles, maybe.

Pain Elemental...maybe a Pac-man ghost. After all, Lost Souls were replaced by Pac-mans in Doom 3. If the Lost Souls will stay Pac-mans, then the Pain Elemental must be something which can be connected to the Pac-man series. So a different coloured eyeball won't do it I'm afraid.

Revenant...I have no idea currently.

SS Officer...no idea either, but it must be some kind of Easter Egg-ish enemy.
I always hated Pain Elementals, but here, I'm way ahead of you :P

I'll take a note of those ideas and will see how It turns out
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, best of luck :) I'd LOVE to see another Mr. Smiley adventure. If you don't mind, I'd like to pinpoint a few thingz I have in mind, particularly from the original one.

- Some kind of story would be welcomed. I never really understood what was Doom 3 about, who is this Mr. Smiley and why is he takin' a safari and such. Even if it's just one paragraph, it's still something. Hell, even Action 52 games had a few lines for story.
- We still stick to a safari? Mr. Smiley could have a different quest for part 2, like um..."Mr. Smiley goes to the North Pole" or just something generic, like "Mr. Smiley's BIG adventure".
- Coca-colas should increase health even above 199% (if it's possible)
- Boss enemies could use more health than original Doom bosses, but don't make'em ridiculously powerful. I remember I had to attack that damn snowman for about 10 minutes until I could finally kill it.
- Make sure you include funny Easter Egg-ish music, like the original had (Beverly Hills Cop theme, Vivaldi - Spring, Starwars and so on)
- Vidal Sassoon hairspray is out of da market. Use Pantene Pro-V or Fructis instead :D
- If you still keep the snowman as a boss, you should make it 24-bit, and not a cartoon character. Somewhere I have a set of enemy snowman sprites if y'need some.
- "Coffee cup" should be "Smiley-hot cocoa".
- Why does a Nike shoe gives you 200% armor?
- Those gray Alien-wannabes look very poor. In the Realm667 beastiary, there are much better alien sprites for Imp replacements.
- The eyeball and the Barney dinosaur should have different death screams.
- Make sure there'll be no "never-ending game". For instance, if you found the secret exit in Episode 2, and you finished the secret level, you were returned to the previous level, meaning that you could enter the secret level and return to the previous level for all eternity.
- It's OK if you don't flood the level with ammunition, I actually enjoyed Episode 2, but then make sure you hide the Smiley Toothbrush early in the game!

These are my thoughts for now, hope they help you a bit :)
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

Somehow I don't understand the appeal of Mr. Smiley Head's Safari. Like it doesn't actually have new monsters or weapons, just sprite and sound replacements. Plus the levels designs look just as bad as those crappy 1994 levels. I watch someone's gameplay video the original and a little bit of your outdated walkthrough and this doesn't look like fun. One of your screenshots from level 8 has 934 monsters.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I think I do understand. It was one of the first joke-wads at the early times when only a few people had the knowledge and patience to actually make WADs, as computers and gaming weren't so mainstream. In the early 90s, things were different, you couldn't just surf "da Internetz" to download heaps of joke-wads, well at least not here in this country.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

I agree since it's 2015 and this is made for ZDoom, you'd think there should be a bit more to it as we are no longer limited.. but it's also a nice tribute to the old days, back in the 90's graphic replacements, no matter how bad they were would be really fun, we use to get them free with computer magazines over here, I remember a Borg Doom and Beavis & Butthead one, the maps with the wad were terrible and the poorly drawn sprites, but we'd all spend hours aday playing them and when we were not playing them they were all that were in our minds..
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Doomguy 2000 wrote:Somehow I don't understand the appeal of Mr. Smiley Head's Safari. Like it doesn't actually have new monsters or weapons, just sprite and sound replacements. Plus the levels designs look just as bad as those crappy 1994 levels. I watch someone's gameplay video the original and a little bit of your outdated walkthrough and this doesn't look like fun. One of your screenshots from level 8 has 934 monsters.
Level design? I don't really care about that, just make the game enjoyable.
Ofc, there will be more things to make the mod more fun.

But hey, I will make the maps more beautiful than the 94' ones, or atleast try to. I recently started mapping, I don't really have experience.
Last edited by Kizoky on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:Well, best of luck :) I'd LOVE to see another Mr. Smiley adventure. If you don't mind, I'd like to pinpoint a few thingz I have in mind, particularly from the original one.

- Some kind of story would be welcomed. I never really understood what was Doom 3 about, who is this Mr. Smiley and why is he takin' a safari and such. Even if it's just one paragraph, it's still something. Hell, even Action 52 games had a few lines for story.
- We still stick to a safari? Mr. Smiley could have a different quest for part 2, like um..."Mr. Smiley goes to the North Pole" or just something generic, like "Mr. Smiley's BIG adventure".
- Coca-colas should increase health even above 199% (if it's possible)
- Boss enemies could use more health than original Doom bosses, but don't make'em ridiculously powerful. I remember I had to attack that damn snowman for about 10 minutes until I could finally kill it.
- Make sure you include funny Easter Egg-ish music, like the original had (Beverly Hills Cop theme, Vivaldi - Spring, Starwars and so on)
- Vidal Sassoon hairspray is out of da market. Use Pantene Pro-V or Fructis instead :D
- If you still keep the snowman as a boss, you should make it 24-bit, and not a cartoon character. Somewhere I have a set of enemy snowman sprites if y'need some.
- "Coffee cup" should be "Smiley-hot cocoa".
- Why does a Nike shoe gives you 200% armor?
- Those gray Alien-wannabes look very poor. In the Realm667 beastiary, there are much better alien sprites for Imp replacements.
- The eyeball and the Barney dinosaur should have different death screams.
- Make sure there'll be no "never-ending game". For instance, if you found the secret exit in Episode 2, and you finished the secret level, you were returned to the previous level, meaning that you could enter the secret level and return to the previous level for all eternity.
- It's OK if you don't flood the level with ammunition, I actually enjoyed Episode 2, but then make sure you hide the Smiley Toothbrush early in the game!

These are my thoughts for now, hope they help you a bit :)
Woah. Okay.
Mr Smiley II would be uhm.. Kick their asses until he found the culprit? I don't really know. I have to finish the graphics, textures first.
The max health will stay at 200%, but I will think about it when I want to create more tough and bigger maps. But this would make the mod easily beaten.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I know, it seems a little too much, but I can help you wit' resources, at least I hope. I can fix static objects and stuff together, however mind you that some of them will break out of the palette.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:I know, it seems a little too much, but I can help you wit' resources, at least I hope. I can fix static objects and stuff together, however mind you that some of them will break out of the palette.
I'm pretty sure there's an option to force ZDoom to use True Colour, and not the PALETTE one.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”