Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0)

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:56 pm

I wanted to give a status update and post some in-progress screenshots of my latest revision of the Wolfenstein 3D TC...

This newest version takes advantage of ZScript to allow for the mod to even more accurately emulate the original game; everything from menus and help screens to weapon damage calculation and extra life handling has been streamlined!

ImageImage

Text-based screens, such as the help reference and episode finale screens, are all parsed at run-time from the original Wolf3D text data format and can be navigated with the arrow keys. Similarly, the high score screen is actually interactive, letting you enter a name if you've set a record, and saving your high scores across games!
ImageImage

Spoiler: More Screenshots

You can follow the progress of this new version of the mod, or download the current version to play for yourself, at the GitHub Repo.

Spoiler: Original Post
Last edited by AFADoomer on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 22 times in total.
AFADoomer

Postby JoeCapricorn » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:14 pm

Hmm, I've played WolfenDoom, this'll be interesting to check out.

Shame it doesn't work at all... at least with ZDoom.
JoeCapricorn

Postby MasterOFDeath » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:21 pm

WolfenDoom runs just fine with ZDoom for me.
MasterOFDeath
professional lurking witch

Postby Csonicgo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:35 pm

I like the intro. now please add the music!!!!

and +movebob 0 should be added in the batch file.
Csonicgo
OPL Goddess

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:45 pm

The music works for me... :? Anybody else not hearing it?

I have another .cfg file that changes other settings, but I didn't think people would like their map colors and such changed...
AFADoomer

Postby Csonicgo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:53 pm

I do. please?
Csonicgo
OPL Goddess

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:09 pm

Replace the contents of 'Wolf3D.cfg' with this:

Code: Select allExpand view
pullin "Wolf3D.wad"
pullin "Wolf3D_Episode_1.wad"
am_backcolor "00 33 33"
am_wallcolor "00 66 66"
am_cdwallcolor "00 dd dd"
movebob 0
map "TITLE"

and it will change your map colors to a more matching theme...

Nothing spectacular...

Also, I just noticed that there's a bug with the life counter... I'm not sure when it stopped working properly, but I'll try and fix it.
AFADoomer

Postby dochist » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm

man, i love this. it really feels like the original game! awesome!! :D
one thing i hate tho'... why not new levels? the original ones have been done so many times (or at least, i think it has). it would really be awesome if it has new levels. but then again, thats just me. still, great job dude. me likes. :)
dochist

Postby jallamann » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Three things:
1. In Wolfenstein 3-D, the player was (IIRC) 64 units tall and the walls were 128 units. In this demo, it seems like the player is a giant (with a 56-unit tall player and 64-unit sectors).
2. Converted FM music sounds like crap on most (if not all) sound cards. Do some editing.
3. Try to make the secret doors slide in, not rise.

Otherwise, it seems quite nice :)
jallamann
isn't very active on the forums at all

Postby Cutmanmike » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:27 pm

I like it so far. I take it alot of effort has been put into this? :twisted:
Cutmanmike
Not dead

Postby TheDarkArchon » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:29 pm

This rocks.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Ixnatifual » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:42 pm

It needs 94.cab to run.

Anyway it's like improved Wolf3d. I don't really like it, though. It's just the same levels, the same lack of detail, no height variation. And the treasure is useless. Obviously you're just recreating the original, but I think it would be much cooler if you were to make something new out of it.
Ixnatifual
Is that virtuous?!

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:48 pm

You're welcome to make new levels if you like... Right now, I'm concentrating on recreating the look and feel of the original game, including the enemies, pickups, and HUD and the menus, intermission screens, and episode endings. I can't say what may happen in the future, though...

The player size thing is a problem, yes... If I could adjust the view height, I would. Since that's not possible in ZDoom at this time, it stays like it is.

The music sucks, yes, I know... I'm trying to find a good program that will convert it to sound just like the original. No luck so far.

As for making the secret doors slide, that's planned. I haven't been able to make polyobjects behave properly, though... Most of the time, they work fine, and then as soon as you walk up to them, they disappear.

I've been working on this on and off since around Febrary of this past year. Mostly, it started as making more correct DECORATE enemies to place in WolfenDoom. And then it grew...

I appreciate the feedback very much... Once I get a few bugs ironed out, and the other 5 episodes finished, I'll make an offical release of this.

[edit]@ixnatifual - That's the point, though :D. It's supposed to re-create the original (for now) [/edit]
AFADoomer

Postby Ixnatifual » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:02 pm

The treasure is funny to run over sometimes, though. Just for the sounds :)
Ixnatifual
Is that virtuous?!

Postby AFADoomer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:05 pm

That's what it did in the original game :) . And it gives you points! How could you not notice such an important thing :P .
AFADoomer

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects