Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
johnny

Re: BDJ20 - melee/grenade hotkeys, combos, new fatalities IT

Post by johnny »

Unkillable zombie fix has not been posted/figured out yet. I'm assuming it has something to do with what I did to stop the bodies and gibs from blocking lifts, which sucks because that was a LOT of different shit. I'm gonna restore the Decorate.dyingguys, BLOOD, BLOODSPLASH, GORE!!!, GORE2, GORE3, Decorate.sticky, and DEAD lumps from the jan06 test build and rework them from the bottom up. LostFury - next time you run into a god zombie, will you post your save here so I can check it out? I've been trying to get one to spawn but I haven't managed to recreate it. You're not the only person this is happening to so it's not a fluke. Just to make sure, you guys are all using the most recent SVN (Jan25 http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzd ... a95edc3.7z) of gzdoom right? I doubt that has anything to do with it but just so we're on the same page.

RyokoTK - Noted. I'll check it out.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I admit, I had low expectations....then I played this for myself. It's REALLY damn good. Might actually get me back into DooM, and that's hard to do!

Good job! I think aside from gameplay, the title screen was the best xD

EDIT: I have found some parts where gibs would block raising platforms, preventing me from completing stages. This may have been mentioned before. I'm using the most recent GZDoom build as well.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Hahaha thanks dude! I spent more time on that title screen than I'd like to admit. I'm glad I could get you back into doom! We may stop playing for several months, maybe even years... but we all come back. And we always will. Yeah, gibs blocking some platforms has been a problem for awhile. I thought I had it fixed but I ended up just creating more problems. I'm still very much an amateur as far as decorate goes so I'm in the process of figuring out what all I can do.

This update has ALL (I think) of the monsters disappearing problems solved, but might make lift blocking more prevalent. I dunno, I played all the way through cchest3 without any blocking, but your mileage may vary. I also finally ran into one of those invincible zombies everyone's talking about and I did something that I think might MAYBE have fixed it.

In addition to bug squashing, I decided I'm going to go through all the weapons and give each one a little TLC. So far I've done the chainsaw, rifle, and plasma. The chainsaw is updated again since the previous one. It has a way better idling animation and the smoke is lined up and more realistic looking. I actually redid the whole smoke spawner system and I think it looks a lot nicer. The swipes are a little stronger again, and the sounds are more beefy, realistic, and "good." I downloaded a bunch of youtube vids of guys revving their chainsaws in their garages and ripped out the best parts of the audio. I also downloaded some videos of muzzle flash special effects which I then converted to a gif, pulled out the individual frames, and put them on the rifle. They look awesome. The minigun sounds are better now too. I take sounds super srsly and I change them all the time, so listen for little new effects here and there. The plasma rifle now has a heat gauge on the ammo display which was requested a few months ago and looks pretty neat, and the spartan laser secondary has slightly different smoke effects. You also have to hold right click the whole time to get it to fire now so you won't be locked into a long ass animation if you accidentally bump it or something.

Keep the bug reports coming guys, and I'll keep trying every which way I can think of to fix them.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Aw yeah. Time to beat some AYSS.

And the exit message I was referring to was "LOL BUTT". Something like that. Got me every time. :D
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

About to try this now. LOVED the chainsaw in the previous flawed and buggy version. The slash is worth using now!! x3

Little off-topic, but I'm curious as to why the dark_doom.pk3 doesn't have the sourcecode within it. I'm curious as to how it works, and was thinking about trying to add to it so it would work better with the 'Back To Saturn X' level pack. Don't really wanna have to use ListACS to decompile the object file, from reading how it doesn't convert bytecode integers into fixed-point numbers, but I may have no choice but to use it.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Slax wrote:Aw yeah. Time to beat some AYSS.

And the exit message I was referring to was "LOL BUTT". Something like that. Got me every time. :D
HA YES! I forgot all about that. Definitely putting it back in.
Patriot1776 wrote:About to try this now. LOVED the chainsaw in the previous flawed and buggy version. The slash is worth using now!! x3

Little off-topic, but I'm curious as to why the dark_doom.pk3 doesn't have the sourcecode within it. I'm curious as to how it works, and was thinking about trying to add to it so it would work better with the 'Back To Saturn X' level pack. Don't really wanna have to use ListACS to decompile the object file, from reading how it doesn't convert bytecode integers into fixed-point numbers, but I may have no choice but to use it.
Couldn't tell ya man, but here's SidDoyle's sneakydoom thread which has dark_doom in it if you want to ask him. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46174
I just found this too, which has code to go along with it: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... flashlight
Last edited by johnny on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Ok, one and a half bug reports.
Found myself getting stuck in enemies after they went into their dying/bleeding out states. No me gusta.
The punch isn't all too widescreen friendly. Arm gets cut off pretty bad. No big deal though.

In other news:
The minigun sounds way too awesome. Like, badass-a-licious to the max. TRULY A MACHINE SPAWNED IN HELL. In fact, it was so awesome that I shat my pants. Plz nerf.

This continues to be one hell of an experience. You win a gorillion dollars.

I kinda wanna ask for a flashlight feature of some sort. I like my Doom dark but I also like nifty little light features.
LOL BUTT I'm blind. No pun intended.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Bad news. STILL encountered an unkillable shotgun guy on MAP01 of Back To Saturn X. Did you update any other pk3 files other than the main one?
johnny

Post by johnny »

GOD DAMMIT. Whyyyyyy does this keep breakinggggg. Nah I just updated the 20 pk3.

I messed something up with the smokespawner too, give me 15 minutes and I'll sort out the getting stuck in enemies. Sounds like some +SOLID flags are stuck on dyingguys where they shouldn't be. I really need to learn to double check shit before I go and type long update posts.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I got the un-killable shotgunner as well while playing TVR. It's both funny and scary to encounter. :P It's weird that it recently popped up, is it something messed up with BD 20's code?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Only shotgunner bug I ran into was their crawl state freezing. They just lie there with their mouths open, waiting to be stepped on.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Slax wrote: This continues to be one hell of an experience. You win a gorillion dollars.
Hahaha thanks Slax. You're a rad dude.

OKAY that was a really long 15 minutes but the GOOD news is that with the help of some really handy console commands I narrowed the invincibility problem down to the headshot hitboxes. Ghost - the problem is recent because I just put in BDJ19's hitboxes, annnnd it looks like it doesn't jive well with v20. Still, it's better than 100% broken headshots for the time being. I plastered -INVULNERABLE and -NODAMAGE flags all over every hitbox, dyingguy, and zombie as well as tinkered with some other shit, hopefully this solved something but I'm grasping at straws here. It looks like HeadShotSpawner4 and 8 are fucking up. A zombie will die, but for some reason its Chase state continues looping which keeps spawning the hitboxes as if they were still walking around. You shoot the hitbox, it tries to A_Explode damage the zombie actor, but he's not there, so nothing gets damaged and no zombie dies. But he IS there, clearly shooting at you, sooooooo IDKWTF.

I fixed the 16:9 fist issue, the smoke, the getting stuck in dyingguys, and I replaced the mastermind and cyb with their BDJ19 versions because their deaths were much cooler. Assuming the superzombie problem is still there in this version (likely), next time you see one, put your crosshair over his head and type INFO in the console. Then aim over his body and do the same. This will tell you what specific actor he is and what flags are currently active, so make note of them then come here and post them plz plz if you'd be so kind. I have a save with a superzom right next to me, but he doesn't have the new flags that I put on him since the save is from a previous version. I can't sit there and load save, make changes, check if changes work, rinse and repeat because his flags and shit are contained within the save. SO I have to make changes, then randomly run into one to see what's going on with him.

I love how I've been making one new thing and breaking two old things with every update lately. Keeps things exciting. Also btw, does anyone have any idea how I can stop the fatality camera from clipping through walls? That needs to happen
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I once came across an interesting third person camera around here that forced itself to not clip through walls. I doubt I could find it again, but I know it was here on ZDoom.

Also, the more exciting the better, and plus, this gives you a lot of experience, so you'll be able to pick up and tear through making a mod a lot more easily.

EDIT: I just remembered something; I know you are busy fixing the main mod, but I noticed you never seemed to have added the melee system to SmoothDOMJ. Just wondering if it's because you're busy with the main mod.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Shiiiiiit dude I completely forgot about that, my bad! I promised you that months ago. Better late than never I guess--check out the DL link and it'll be in there.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Okay, just encountered an invulnerable shotgun zombie while playing Phobos-g. I targeted his head and got:

Target=HeadshotTarget10, Health=35, Spawnhealth=35
HeadshotTarget10 @ 15FF41A8 has the following flags:
Flags: 204 Shootable NoGravity
Flags2: 240A0 Floorclip Noteleport Thrughost Nodamagethrust
Flags3: 4000C NoradiusDMG Ghost NoTarget
Flags4: 0
Flags5: 40000 Neverrespawn
Flags6: 0
Flags7: 0
Bounce Flags: 0

Sorry, realized I'd forgotten to check the body as well once I'd closed the game. I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to always make it happen, but haven't had much luck so far. It tends to happen when I'm headshotting with the shotgun, but I use the shotgun a lot too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”