RAGE Weapons Mod 1.01

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jeimuzu73

RAGE Weapons Mod 1.01

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

My first complete mod (forget the one I released earlier) and a battle against my inner schweinhund (and giving the tons of resources I have some use). Basically, it replaces most of the Doom weapons with RAGE counterparts, while adding new ones such as the sniper rifle and a stealth crossbow. Most of the arsenal also has reloading and aiming-down sights, although for the most part the weapons behave very similar to the original ones.
Spoiler:
https://www.mediafire.com/?szxpf41dm4s5pwi

If there's any credits I'm missing let me know.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: RAGE Weapons Mod 1.01

Post by xenoxols »

I hate to be so negative on the first reply, but those weapon sprites look like shit. You could have just left them at high resolution and used textures to scale them.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Ya... the straight-to-sprite nature of your rips has meant the colors have been palette-raped.

If you REALLY don't want to use TEXTURES, you'll need to go through each frame, smooth out and recolor them.

Look at what Revo794 did with the Battlefield weapons, in an earlier topic, as a random example.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I find it more interesting that all of the weapon sprites include ARK-handed gloves, like he never changed his suit for a less flashy settler outfit. :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The nearest neighbor scaling-down on the weapons isn't working, unfortunately. Doom-resolution model rips like that tend to look fine if you cut out the edges of the sprite at native resolution and then scale them down with bicubic resampling -- you'll get anti-aliasing against a translucent background for the edges, too, which surprisingly doesn't look bad in ZDoom's D3D truecolor HUD.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Alright, this looks awful.
Firstly - you missed out on the aspect ratio correction, so all the sprites are stretched up a bid on the rendering. You must either compensate for that via TEXTURES lump, or by squishing them beforehand. You also did not trim the sprites, which presents some problems with how (G)ZDoom handles the sprites that occupy the whole screen.

What to do about that? Well, you could use ImageMagic to downscale and trim the sprites, I'm sure I've talked about how to do that somewhere on the forums - the mogrify tool allows you to use the data you gather during the alterations to build yourself a TEXTURES lump almost automaticaly.
Here's an example:
This one is yours:
This one is ImageMagicked:
(I dunno why you squished it sideways while you had to squish it vertically to compensate for AR correction)
And this is how it should be in the end for a game to display it right (you have to trim and offset the sprite, obviously):
Spoiler:

Secondly, using Doom's vanilla explosion for a muzzleflash is a bad idea.

The "wind down" animations on weapons are supposed to go in as the alternative idle state animation after the gun was fired - that would allow the gun to be refired without having to wait for animation to end.

The exact command for ImageMagick to transform the sprites into the doom-friendly are (use through CMD line and cd into the IM directory):
Spoiler:
Hope this helps.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The sprites are also very wide-screen unfriendly although I'm guessing that's more a fault with RAGE itself.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

MetroidJunkie wrote:The sprites are also very wide-screen unfriendly although I'm guessing that's more a fault with RAGE itself.
I made them WS-friendly, originals are 1280x720. The author just squished them into 4x3, hence the weird AspectRatio (he also didn't account for Doom's native AR correction, which when combined gave an unsightly result)
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

- All your weapons so sad, you need better reskinned (just like Sinael's post)
- The Berserk icon is just kind of a Pistol Sprite
- The Rocket Launcher sound is Doom 3
- The Sniper Rifle is too weak, needs more damage at least high dps
- The Shotgun reload is so slow unlike the other weapons

im afraid to say this but 4.5/10 overall, sorry 😢

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”