Samsara - No longer under active development.

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Samsara - 0.3 - I can't drive at .30, man.

Post by DoomRater »

In a nutshell, the duke taunts work by dealing a special damage type to the monsters that, when they die from this damage, gives the player a counter that it then uses to figure out what category of taunts to play from, if there's been enough time/kills/whatever other conditions that need t obe met before Duke shoots his mouth off again. It's as you said, a complete mess.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Gez wrote:Isn't Samsara kinda dead anyway? Term moved on to like a half-dozen newer projects since.
Yeah, Samsara is officially on the backburner. There's no real one specific reason, but a whole slew of niggles and problems have accumulated up over time that can't be really properly tackled to where I think it's just best to move on to more fruitful endeavors.
That final update was primarily to troll tournament players who insisted that Corvus was the absolute worst in DM and nothing could salvage him.
Onar4241 wrote:Though when I opened the archive to see how the code works... It was a complete mess. I even wonder how you happen to work with this code, it is way too confusing and I didn't understand any of it (I wanted to know how the Duke taunts work).
Yeah, the code is a complete and total mess. Back when I started I was generally very inexperienced with Decorate and ACS and had no idea how to make anything work, and would generally slap things together--this comes through in the worst possible way in that the entire engine is held together with chewing gum and a prayer, somehow still working. I don't even know what half of anything does anymore.
While I'm still hardly a "professional" at this, the entire codebase is a mishmash of various systems written by tens of different people with different design philosophies, all slapped together with ducttape. If I had infinite amounts of free time (and motivation), the best thing to do would probably be to rewrite the entire thing. And that's obviously not an option, so suffice to say it was a wonderful lesson to me in the importance of team management and a design direction.
HavoX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by HavoX »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Yeah, Samsara is officially on the backburner. There's no real one specific reason, but a whole slew of niggles and problems have accumulated up over time that can't be really properly tackled to where I think it's just best to move on to more fruitful endeavors.
Well, that's a bummer. It was fun while it lasted, though.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh, i almost forgot to ask, No samsara update; no naraka update as well...?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Captain J, Brutal Doomguy does seem very similar to Vanilla Doomguy, except for some things...

- Fists are MUCH faster
- Kicks can be implemented
- Melee combo system
- No pistol: uses assault rifle
- Plasma Gun and BFG-9000 deal 2x damage
- Berserk powerup grants "Rip and Tear!" mode, which allows the player to gain health from killing foes with his fists...
- Et cetera (I bet you know all the other changes, so I'm not going to list them unless requested)

And the Archvile wouldn't exactly be using guns... if you look at Eriance's Demon Eclipse mod, in Episode 2, Doomguy picks up a bunch of organic/magical weapons, which use ammo like hellfire orbs, blood, bones, venom, and soul orbs.

Would anyone be willing to point me toward any tutorials for how to combine gameplay mods in a similar fashion to Samsara?
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

TerminusEst13 wrote: Yeah, the code is a complete and total mess. Back when I started I was generally very inexperienced with Decorate and ACS and had no idea how to make anything work, and would generally slap things together--this comes through in the worst possible way in that the entire engine is held together with chewing gum and a prayer, somehow still working. I don't even know what half of anything does anymore.
While I'm still hardly a "professional" at this, the entire codebase is a mishmash of various systems written by tens of different people with different design philosophies, all slapped together with ducttape. If I had infinite amounts of free time (and motivation), the best thing to do would probably be to rewrite the entire thing. And that's obviously not an option, so suffice to say it was a wonderful lesson to me in the importance of team management and a design direction.
Goddamn. I happen to have the same thing too when I didn't know a thing about modding. Anyway, do you know how the Duke taunts work? A simple trick I did to make automatic taunts is when a monster dies it gives to the player a custom point, which after an specific amount, Duke speaks. Though I have randomized that with A_Jump.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Pretty sure it works about the same. As I said above:
In a nutshell, the duke taunts work by dealing a special damage type to the monsters that, when they die from this damage, gives the player a counter that it then uses to figure out what category of taunts to play from, if there's been enough time/kills/whatever other conditions that need t obe met before Duke shoots his mouth off again. It's as you said, a complete mess.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

DoomRater wrote:In a nutshell, the duke taunts work by dealing a special damage type to the monsters that, when they die from this damage, gives the player a counter that it then uses to figure out what category of taunts to play from, if there's been enough time/kills/whatever other conditions that need t obe met before Duke shoots his mouth off again. It's as you said, a complete mess.
Thanks for the information! Do you know how kicking works in Duke, too?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Onar4241 wrote:Thanks for the information! Do you know how kicking works in Duke, too?
Given how similar functions work in other mods, I'd imagine the Flash state is being heavily abused.
Jake Crusher

Post by Jake Crusher »

Guys, if anyone has Corridor 7's add-on for Samsara, then could you, please, re-upload it? Link from Addons on SamsaraDevs' page seems to be dead...
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

wildweasel wrote:
Onar4241 wrote:Thanks for the information! Do you know how kicking works in Duke, too?
Given how similar functions work in other mods, I'd imagine the Flash state is being heavily abused.
As far as I know it was never implemented officially. Instead the altfire produced a shove kick that couldn't be used separately from fire.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

DoomRater wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
As far as I know it was never implemented officially. Instead the altfire produced a shove kick that couldn't be used separately from fire.
It was officially implemented; it was just implemented in a version that's never coming out.

Grab the latest GitHub here (warning, don't deathmatch with it): https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Well fork me sideways...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Untitled wrote:
DoomRater wrote:
wildweasel wrote: Given how similar functions work in other mods, I'd imagine the Flash state is being heavily abused.
It was officially implemented; it was just implemented in a version that's never coming out.

Grab the latest GitHub here (warning, don't deathmatch with it): https://github.com/SamsaraDevs/samsaraJunk
http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... 1-beta.pk3 - Zandro beta here. "Never coming out" means "has been out for, like, a year".

(Also, warning, the shoot n' boot code will make you want to stab something. Fair warning)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”